Jose Semedo "An Emotional Afternoon...."

Owls midfield ace Jose Semedo has thanked Wednesdayites for their fantastic backing at the City Ground on Saturday.

Thousands of Owls supporters flocked to the game in Nottingham at the weekend paying tribute to the popular midfielder in recognition of his commitment over the past year and a half in S6.

post-4683-0-74418700-1353336854_thumb.jp

Fans could be seen wearing Semedo masks and draped in Portuguese flags and the 27-year-old revealed it was an emotional afternoon.

“It was unbelievable and I am so thankful to them,” Semedo said.

“As I have said before, it is an honour for me to play for this club and to play in front of the supporters.

“It was emotional for me to see all the fans on Saturday; I had to have a deep breath when I came out onto the pitch and carry on. I can’t explain how much the supporters mean to me.

“I’d like to say a big thank you to all of them.”

On the field, though, the game did not go the way Wednesday hoped despite a spirited performance by Dave Jones’ side who gave Forest problems all throughout the afternoon, albeit without converting chances into goals.

Semedo added: “We deserved more from the game and so did the supporters.

“It was really painful to lose the game but that’s what happens when we don’t take the chances.

“Results at the moment aren’t reflecting what is happening in the games. We shouldn’t have lost on Saturday because we created so many chances.

“But I hope the supporters will come back to Hillsborough for the next game and give us their support as they always do.

“All we can do now is look towards our next game where we go again and aim to get three points.”

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/an-emotional-afternoon-495606.aspx

Owlstalk Shop

Guest nowitzki

Hello everyone,

I am a Portuguese football fan and I like to follow the progress of Portuguese players abroad. This to say that I have monitored Semedo's career in England, not very closely, but enough to know he was doing well at Charlton and playing in midfield(over here in Portugal, he used to play as a central defender). Charlton got relegated and I kind of lost track of him, although I knew he was at Wednesday. My interest was reignited when I saw that friendly you played with Sporting Lisbon in the Summer. I was kind of shocked to see Semedo as captain of your team, since he had moved there just a year before. I found my way to these forums and read some match threads... and I've been monitoring your results. I have no affilition with Semedo(other than the Nationality) and I don't even root for Sporting(his team back in Portugal). I am a FC Porto supporter.

I only found out about this "Jose Semedo Day" when I watched the "Football League Show". I was a bit shocked and amazed at the same time and after reading about it and seeing the photos... I can't say enough about the level of support you show for your team. It's really admirable. I don't know if Wednesday fans are known for their support or if this is a particular case of affection for one player, but it's quite incredible to see so many people pay tribute to one player and at an away game. I can't imagine how it must have felt for him, must have been overwhelming, just as well for the rest of the team. If after seeing this kind of support they don't give 110% every time they step on the pitch, then they never will.

I just had to sign up to the forums and praise your support. It's an example and even I felt the emotion seeing the videos and pictures. Hopefully you managed to avoid relegation, it looks like it will be a tight battle all season, although I don't know if you are underperfoming a bit or the team has basically done its best with the resources available. Judging by the results, it will be a difficult battle until the end. I still remember seeing Sheffield Wednesday in the Premier League in the Premier League, back in the Di Canio days(a few weeks back I enjoyed watching season reviews like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhkGxsa4h20

Just amazing, I knew he was great, but these highlights never were shown here. I hope to see you in the Premier League soon enough, but I realize it's a hard road and there is a fierce competition.

Best regards from Portugal.

Edited by nowitzki