arsenal fa cup 1979

I went to all 5 games with my older brother,youd have barely guessed there were 2 divisions between both sides,as the games swang between two evenley matched sides,for all thier names and internationals,we fought toe to toe with them.

The matches were big sports news across the world,i remember reading reports from spain,greece,germany even in the states.

Wed struggled in the first round to get passed scunny,after a replay when wed drawn 1-1 at thier old show ground,before glandford park,then drew 1-1 at tranmere with the replay winners getting a prize draw with the arse in round 3,but hammered them on a freezing tuesday night in december.

We really raised our game,hornsby an ex gooner and leamen were outstanding.In truth we should really have nicked a win in the first replay down at arse,but loweys goal was chalked off,wylde made willie young look a clown at times.

Edited by legendaryswan

I'm only 25, but this reads/sounds amazing.

What football is all about.

It is chap....and it certainly was too. Us erm.. of a 'certain age' did see some absolute garbage mind but expectations were suitabely lower in those days so times like these were even more memorable and now in club folklore!!!....mind you I just used to love going even when we were crap....it WAS a laugh!!! :laugh:

Edited by Prendo's boots