A view from the Kop - Blackpool

A view from the Kop

Ok for what it’s worth heres my two pennies on The Blackpool game.

Blackpool

Blackpool as a team are possibly the best footballing side I have seen at Hillsborough for a long time. When we played them in the cup I said much the same thing. All the players are comfortable on the ball, movement is fantastic they play fast flowing football. I was particularly impressed with Ince good on the ball and wants to attack.

But for all they played very pretty football they actually caused Kirkland very little trouble. I don’t really remember a save he had to make. Hit top of bar twice. 2nd one Kirkland thought was over. 2nd goal we were going for it and got caught but they didn’t really penetrate very much.

Owls

For all the supporters got frustrated and I more than most did. Again we made chances that we failed to take. We should have got something out of that game. We had the chances and I’d be more worried if we did create rather than not being able to hit between the posts.

The game itself - I can understand why we play 4-5-1/4-3-3 but as was showed last night we are a little rigid and the movement needs to improve. The final ball at times needs to be better. We cause ourselves problems at times more than the opposition do.

I need to watch back to see if it was a clear penalty. First impression was yes it was and actually it shows we get in dangerous areas. I also want to have a look back to see how good or bad the linesmans decisions were for offside. He seemed a little trigger happy. Especially as there was a blatant offside in 2nd half from Blackpool and he didn’t flag.

The Team

Kirkland – Can’t fault his displays at all. Could see if he could have done anything with the first goal.

Buxton – Interestingly targeted especially in the first half last night got the feeling Blackpool regarded him as the week link every ball went in that direction. Got caught more than once

Gardener – What a player there were at least 2 brilliant tackles and just calm and assured on ball

LLera – Good display him and gardener getting a great understanding. Could have done better with attacking headers

Jones – Improves with every game again cant really fault what he did

Boothroyd – MMMM not sure what to make. I really would like to see him up front with a strike partner he is not a winger.

Barclay – A very good player but sometimes needs to learn less is best. Keep it simple and let the ball do the work.

McCabe – Still coming back did something’s well but just off the pace

Semedo – Did the protection job well against a very mobile midfield. Although I did feel all the midfield as a whole needed a lot more aggression last night.

Antonio – Does the hard bit by beating defenders and making great runs and just that final ball/shot at the minute. But it will kick and he will get goals

COG – Yes a work horse and has not done much wrong but I am not convinced he is a regulat starter reminds me of Heskey does the graft but most of the time whats the end product. I would add Madine to that statement as well.

For my mind the thing we are really missing is an effective strike force. Personally I would send Madine out on Loan to get game time/confidence and then bring him back when he is firing. I would leave COG on the bench. I would play boothroyd upfront with A N Other striker (Cameron Jeromen, anyone) JJ has to start for me. Actually I’d play JJ upfront for a bit pace over the top with Boothroyd playing him in

Dave Jones left it too long to change last night we should have gone 4 4 2 at half time and I would have taken McCabe off .

Onward and upward we are not far off a good team.