SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY: Owls in firing line

Wednesday could be up against one of the summer targets they were unable to hit, when they play Leeds tomorrow.

David Norris looked Hillsborough-bound at one stage when he was heading towards his exit from Portsmouth, but he went to Elland Road instead.

The midfield player is challenging for a return to Neil Warnock’s starting line-up after making a comeback as a sub in a 1-0 win against Barnsley following a six-week lay-off with a thigh injury.

Norris’s presence would add spice to a Yorkshire derby that also includes, in the Leeds camp, ex-Sheffield United trio Paddy Kenny, Michael Brown and Michael Tonge, former Blades and Wednesday defender Leigh Bromby, and ex-Hillsborough loan striker Luke Varney.

Norris took over from Tonge, who is loan from Stoke, in the 54th minute of the Barnsley game a week last Saturday; Kenny and Brown played, and Varney was on the bench. It was the same Leeds side that had drawn 2-2 at Bolton a few days earlier.

But Norris is hoping to break back into the starting line-up. The 31-year-old former Plymouth and Ipswich star said: “The injury was frustrating, but I was pretty pleased with the way things started before that. Hopefully I can continue that and the team can continue the good form from now on in.

“There will be games where we draw and feel we should have won, like the Blackburn game [a 3-3 home draw], but there were also games where we didn’t play so well but we picked up points, which is so typical of this league.”

Norris was one of the senior players who were offloaded by financially troubled Portsmouth to aid their survival. Leeds landed him on a free transfer - with Warnock saying at the time: “I think David always wanted to sign for us. He spoke to a number of clubs who were hoping and hanging on for him, so it’s good to put it over the line.”

Owls defender Martin Taylor clearly agrees with Norris that games can be decided by narrow margins.

The centre half said: “Results haven’t been going for us but it has been fine lines, as it often is in this division. We’ve been on the wrong end of some marginal defeats but it’s something we have got to turn around.

“We haven’t been outplayed and we know we can challenge at this level. I’ve no doubt that the fans will get behind us and that’s really important. This would be the ideal game to get back on track.”

Owlstalk Shop