Biggsy Article

With defeat after defeat, pressure is building on Wednesday manager Dave Jones. His desire to play attractive football may have to be put aside for a while as the quest for points, to halt an alarming slide, continues.

As I said recently, it looks only a matter of time before Jones is relieved of his position as Milan Mandaric looks towards his long time right hand man, Harry Redknapp, or former England manager Kevin Keegan, to avoid the club's slide towards League 1.

The question for Jones is, can he handle the pressure and restore the fans' confidence in him, after a summer of transfer activity that promised so much, but delivered so little in terms of quality, before the axe falls?

After ending last season on a high, and full of confidence, it is quite disturbing to see how easily the spirit has drained away from a side that has been disassembled, and then reassembled in many different guises, in such a short space of time. It is now commonplace to hear of up to 7 team changes each time the match squad is announced. Surely, so many changes can only have a detrimental affect on performances and team morale?

As the cracks start to show, it is also worrying that so many players are being forced to take to the field in positions they're not best suited to, today's appearance of Jermail Johnson in the right full back slot being one prime example, and Jay Bothroyd in a striking position, another. Surely, it would make sense for round pegs to be fitted into round holes? Of course injuries don't help, and it must be the case that Wednesday are missing long time casualties Tommy Spurr and Leon Clarke. Jones will be a relieved man when they return.

For the sake of long suffering Wednesday fans, I hope the loss of form is halted soon otherwise, as I said only last week, Jones may be on his way.

*Disclaimer - any similarities to popular views held on the independent SWFC supporters' site Owlstalk, which someone brought to my attention only this morning, is purely coincidental*