Statement from Wednesdayite

Statement from The Sheffield Wednesday Supporters' Society, Wednesdayite - dated 8th October 2010.

To read the statement click here

Love the bit below. Nice proactive statement from Wednesdayite.

Our stance remains what it has been for a long time now, we are looking for change which will;

Bring to a close the control and influence of those who have presided over the decline of the club over many years

Create a Boardroom which is more open to fresh faces and ideas and is fully engaged with all shareholders and fans in dialogue and debate

Statement from The Sheffield Wednesday Supporters' Society, Wednesdayite - dated 8th October 2010.

At last we can move on from the suggestions of 'imminent investment' whilst we have watched the club's finances sink deeper into debt.

It is now time for fans and shareholders to look at the details of the investment offer, examine the plans for the development of the club and check on the changes proposed in the boardroom.

Our stance remains what it has been for a long time now, we are looking for change which will;

•Bring to a close the control and influence of those who have presided over the decline of the club over many years

•Create a Boardroom which is more open to fresh faces and ideas and is fully engaged with all shareholders and fans in dialogue and debate

•Put in place a policy and structure which provides for a significant role for fans in future investment and governance of the club

We hope that the club is now about to embark on a process which will achieve success for the club, give hope for the fans and deliver the changes we are looking for.

Guest Bellsview

At last we can move on from the suggestions of 'imminent investment' whilst we have watched the club's finances sink deeper into debt.

It is now time for fans and shareholders to look at the details of the investment offer, examine the plans for the development of the club and check on the changes proposed in the boardroom.

•Bring to a close the control and influence of those who have presided over the decline of the club over many years

Create a Boardroom which is more open to fresh faces and ideas and is fully engaged with all shareholders and fans in dialogue and debate

•Put in place a policy and structure which provides for a significant role for fans in future investment and governance of the club

We hope that the club is now about to embark on a process which will achieve success for the club, give hope for the fans and deliver the changes we are looking for.

I totally agree with Wednesdayite wanting to see changes in the boardroom, because quite simply we all do (apart from a few nutcases, or those who will lose out on perks etc).

But with all due respect, what right does Wednesdayite have to demand the other 2 bullet point actions?

If I was lucky enough to have the finances in place to have a controlling interest in the club, I would welcome Wednesdayite and would be more than happy to work with them - but if they started making demands such as the ones I have highlighted above, after I had forked out £x million for SWFC, I would be far from impressed.

I always thought that Wednesdayite were a group wanting to represent its members and the local community, put ideas to the board of SWFC, then debate them, and, if deemed workable, work together to achieve them. That is how the first of the bullet point I have highlighted appears to read at first, until you take note of the words "create a boardroom" - with all due respect, what has this got to do with Wednesdayite?

And to then go on to state that policies are in place which demand a role in the governance of the club are again a little concerning. Wednesdayite's role should be to support the new owners of the club, if/when we get them, not to demand a say in the running of the club (which is my interpretation of the word "governance"). The politics should be left to those running the club, at least initially. I take it from the above though that Wednesdayite are possibly looking to/wanting board representation at SWFC?

If that happens it would be a very sad day for me because Wednesdayite will, for me, lose all its political neutrality and will no longer be seen (to me anyway) as an organisation for its members, run by its members and acting on behalf of its members. How could it be, if it also wore a hat on the board of SWFC? To me it's like a union leader being given a place in the Cabinet and is a potential recipe for disaster.

I totally agree with Wednesdayite wanting to see changes in the boardroom, because quite simply we all do (apart from a few nutcases, or those who will lose out on perks etc).

But with all due respect, what right does Wednesdayite have to demand the other 2 bullet point actions?

If I was lucky enough to have the finances in place to have a controlling interest in the club, I would welcome Wednesdayite and would be more than happy to work with them - but if they started making demands such as the ones I have highlighted above, after I had forked out £x million for SWFC, I would be far from impressed.

I always thought that Wednesdayite were a group wanting to represent its members and the local community, put ideas to the board of SWFC, then debate them, and, if deemed workable, work together to achieve them. That is how the first of the bullet point I have highlighted appears to read at first, until you take note of the words "create a boardroom" - with all due respect, what has this got to do with Wednesdayite?

And to then go on to state that policies are in place which demand a role in the governance of the club are again a little concerning. Wednesdayite's role should be to support the new owners of the club, if/when we get them, not to demand a say in the running of the club (which is my interpretation of the word "governance"). The politics should be left to those running the club, at least initially. I take it from the above though that Wednesdayite are possibly looking to/wanting board representation at SWFC?

If that happens it would be a very sad day for me because Wednesdayite will, for me, lose all its political neutrality and will no longer be seen (to me anyway) as an organisation for its members, run by its members and acting on behalf of its members. How could it be, if it also wore a hat on the board of SWFC? To me it's like a union leader being given a place in the Cabinet and is a potential recipe for disaster.

I took it to mean a fans representative on the board not a representative of Wednesdayite, I stnd by to be corrected by a member of Wednesdayite.

Peter you certainly know how to twist a statement, there are no "demands", they are more of a wish list- you should eb writing for the Sun.

Where does it say "wednesdayite" representation on the board.?

Guest Bellsview

Peter you certainly know how to twist a statement, there are no "demands", they are more of a wish list- you should eb writing for the Sun.

Where does it say "wednesdayite" representation on the board.?

Well maybe the statement should have been more clearly written.

To "Create a boardroom" suggests to me that Wednesdayite want to influence (or to take it a stage further, have input into) that area. What does it actually mean if I am interpreting it wrong?

Maybe you can explain what "putting in place a policy and structure which provides for a significant role for fans in future investment and governance of the club" actually means then, because if it isn't Wednesdayite wanting influence at board level, it certainly suggests that Wednesdayite wants to have some input into who is on the board.

I'm not wanting to cause ruptions, I just want it explaining to me. I have always maintained from the day that I joined Wednesdayite that I do not approve of supporter involvement at board level. I never have and I never will. If that is the way Wednesdayite want to proceed and believe it is the right way to go then fair enough, but I won't be supporting it.

That's why I have asked the questions I have. I have no interest in writing for The Sun, but I am interested in what direction an organisation is heading that I am a member of.