Joshua H

Who's the best Wednesday player ever?

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For me it's Carlton Palmer.  Fantastic player with style, pace and blooming good goal scorer.  How i yearn for the days of Palmer, Hirsty, Sherridan, Waddle and co and wish we could have them now. 

Edited by charmer

1 minute ago, charmer said:

For me it's Carlton Palmer.  Fantastic player with style, pace and blooming good goal scorer.  How i yearn for the days of Palmer, Hirsty, Shelden, Waddle and co and wish we could have them now. 

When did Sheldon play for the Wednesday? lol

635842872660251760-1086479561_sheldon.jpg

Just now, Milan Missing Marble said:

When did Sheldon play for the Wednesday? lol

635842872660251760-1086479561_sheldon.jpg

Damn predictive text again.  Sherridan was another legend. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, charmer said:

aye, he was a proper classy midfielder among our very best post-war players along with Springett; Fantham, Nilsson, Harkes, Walker, Waddle and Hirst. But the likes of Jack Brown; Ernie Blenkinsop, Tommy Crawshaw, Ellis Rimmer, Fred Spiksley, Jackie Robinson and Andrew Wilson, etc achieved just as much or far more in Wednesday colours and during their careers.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

16 minutes ago, charmer said:

I'd turn the predictive text off and try again bud. lol

12 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

aye, he was a proper classy midfielder among our very best post-war players along with Springett; Fantham, Nilsson, Harkes, Walker, Waddle and Hirst. But the likes of Jack Brown; Ernie Blenkinsop, Tommy Crawshaw, Ellis Rimmer, Fred Spiksley, Jackie Robinson and Andrew Wilson, etc achieved just as much or far more in Wednesday colours and during their careers.

Can we add Danny Wilson too bud,.... Just keep him away from being in charge of everything including the tea.... Did do a fine fine job down the road though. lollol

2 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

Nilsson ,out of all the top players we have had he was the only one who was truly world class and would have got in any team in the world in his prime

Agree on Nilsson.  Imo he's the best right back to have graced the Premier League.

But I also think that Chris Waddle in his prime was absolutely world class too.  I can count on one hand the number of truly great wingers over the last 25-30 years and Waddle was one of them.  

The word 'genius' applies to him because beating a great defender with trickery is the most difficult and thrilling aspect of the game and he did it with ease like few others have before or since.

You don't really see his ilk anymore because the game has veered away from the flying, pure winger at the top level with the 4-4-2 often giving way to more narrow formations. 

Used to love watching Swan, Fantham and Megson senior in the early 'sixties but my hero was then and now Ron Springett. He was England's first choice keeper for a while when there were a good half-dozen top notch English keepers. None of this foreign 'I can only punch the ball' nonsense, and when opposing centre forwards came in hard.

After that there were giants like Mick Lyons, legends like Waddle and of course the sublime Roland at RB but when all is said and done Ron made his name with us.

Apparently Jimmy Greaves found it hard to score past Ron, who used to tease Greavsie "are you the Greaves fella who gets all the goals?"

1 hour ago, charmer said:

For me it's Carlton Palmer.  Fantastic player with style, pace and blooming good goal scorer.  How i yearn for the days of Palmer, Hirsty, Sherridan, Waddle and co and wish we could have them now. 

Do I smell a piggy...?

or Leeds scum

46 minutes ago, MuppetSpotter said:

Do I smell a piggy...?

or Leeds scum

Wendys through and through 

Just now, charmer said:

Wendys through and through 

Damn predictive text spoilt my text again. Wednesday through and through is what i meant to say. 

Craig Shakespear

11 hours ago, charmer said:

Damn predictive text spoilt my text again. Wednesday through and through is what i meant to say. 

Course you are flower!

The Waddler.

postumous mentions for Di Reff fell, Roland, Hirst, Sheriden, Carlton, Lyons, and when Warhurst was on fire he was unstoppable... liked Carl Shutt too.

On 19/03/2017 at 16:38, Porksword73 said:

Roland nilson for me, we had some great players at that time but he was recognised as truly world class and coveted by the top clubs 

Agreed. League cup final win, he had golden boy Sharpe in his back pocket all afternoon. He was a world class right back. Rolls Royce Nilsson.