Advice on Leeds Bradford to Hillsborough

Hi all - a few of us Irish Owls are travelling over for the Friday night Birmingham game.

Flight should land around 4pm in Leeds Bradford so could be 5pm by the time we’re out.  

If we get a taxi instead of the train if we’re cutting it fine, is the traffic likely to be awful out of Leeds and then southbound on the M1 on a Friday evening?

thanks

2 hours ago, Sparkwell76 said:

Hi all - a few of us Irish Owls are travelling over for the Friday night Birmingham game.

Flight should land around 4pm in Leeds Bradford so could be 5pm by the time we’re out.  

If we get a taxi instead of the train if we’re cutting it fine, is the traffic likely to be awful out of Leeds and then southbound on the M1 on a Friday evening?

thanks

used to live by Leeds Bradford Airport so have done the journey hundreds of times

Getting into Leeds from the airport can be an absolute pain at rush hour. It's about 9 miles and i'd say 7 of them will be really busy at that time. Accessing the motorway via Leeds city centre is also a pain due to amount of road works both in the centre and also the digging up of Armley roundabout. It used to take me as long to get into Leeds and onto the motorway for night matches as it did to do the motorway part of the journey!!

The nearest train stations are about 2-3 miles away and you do have 3 to choose from. Guiseley, Apperley Bridge or Horsforth. All have regular trains into Leeds and all take about 15 mins

Taxi's from the airport are mega expensive due to the fact they are controlled by a single taxi company. You will also get stung for the £5 exit charge that the airport puts on all cars in the short stay car park. As an example i took a taxi to my dads after landing at the airport and it cost me £17. My dad lives 3 miles form the airport!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

used to live by Leeds Bradford Airport so have done the journey hundreds of times

Getting into Leeds from the airport can be an absolute pain at rush hour. It's about 9 miles and i'd say 7 of them will be really busy at that time. Accessing the motorway via Leeds city centre is also a pain due to amount of road works both in the centre and also the digging up of Armley roundabout. It used to take me as long to get into Leeds and onto the motorway for night matches as it did to do the motorway part of the journey!!

The nearest train stations are about 2-3 miles away and you do have 3 to choose from. Guiseley, Apperley Bridge or Horsforth. All have regular trains into Leeds and all take about 15 mins

Taxi's from the airport are mega expensive due to the fact they are controlled by a single taxi company. You will also get stung for the £5 exit charge that the airport puts on all cars in the short stay car park. As an example i took a taxi to my dads after landing at the airport and it cost me £17. My dad lives 3 miles form the airport!!!

Great thanks so much for the info.  

We were just worried if we’re delayed and don’t get out of Leeds airport until 6pm would we struggle to make it to Hillsborough without a taxi?

5 minutes ago, Sparkwell76 said:

Great thanks so much for the info.  

We were just worried if we’re delayed and don’t get out of Leeds airport until 6pm would we struggle to make it to Hillsborough without a taxi?

If you got out of Leeds Bradford airport at 6 you’d struggle big style

Only positive is that the airport is small and doesn’t take long from landing to walking out the front door. With no luggage you can be through in 30 mins easily 

The airport is at the other side of the city to the motorway and could take 45-60 mins to get to the M1 at rush hour. You’ve then another 30 mins (at best) to get to junction 36 of M1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

If you got out of Leeds Bradford airport at 6 you’d struggle big style

Only positive is that the airport is small and doesn’t take long from landing to walking out the front door. With no luggage you can be through in 30 mins easily 

The airport is at the other side of the city to the motorway and could take 45-60 mins to get to the M1 at rush hour. You’ve then another 30 mins (at best) to get to junction 36 of M1

That’s exactly what I need to know thank you! I booked to land in Birmingham at midday!

• Like 1

By road, Birmingham Airport is 145 km / 90 miles from Sheffield 6. The alternative is to get into Bird New Street then train up via Derby to Sheffield. It may well be the Newcastle upon Tyne or Edinburgh train iirc. Enjoy your time. 

Just now, Clowl said:

By road, Birmingham Airport is 145 km / 90 miles from Sheffield 6. The alternative is to get into Bird New Street then train up via Derby to Sheffield. It may well be the Newcastle upon Tyne or Edinburgh train iirc. Enjoy your time. 

Bham New Street. 👍 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clowl said:

Thank you. I will if we win!

19 hours ago, Clowl said:

Good morning, Sparkwell. Wishing you all a great time. How many of you are coming across and which Stand will you go in, please? UTO 🦉 

Probably a few of us will meet up but three travelling together.  There would generally be someone from the Irish Owls group at every match.  

3 hours ago, Sparkwell76 said:

Probably a few of us will meet up but three travelling together.  There would generally be someone from the Irish Owls group at every match.  

Wonderful! 

• Like 1