Substitutions

Guest paulvcooke
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The first thing a chairman of a club would do if it become the norm is to spaff even more millions of pounds on strengthening the squads

Having a limit to squad sizes could prevent this, say 25 player squad limit with U21 players exempt from squad registration rules.

I think it’s quite an interesting idea.  

What if at least 2 of the 20 man squad have to be academy graduates under a certain age - 23 for example? Along with the homegrown player quota, that could go some way to stopping the big clubs stockpiling players whilst giving youngsters more experience

30 minutes ago, paulvcooke said:

Why, there could still only be three stoppages for subs, just like before.

True and this has probably been put in place to stop the time wasting.

However, from what I have seen so far, the players getting subbed off having to leave the pitch at the nearest touchline seems to have been abandoned, so a team could make 3 subs in the last few minutes and with 2 of these they could sub two players at once. The subs seemingly can wait until their number comes up on the board so a team could draw out this process if they so choose - go to the furthest point on the field and have 2 or 3 players trudge off one by one waiting until their number comes up - I've seen how long it takes some 4th officials to get those boards working! . .