Charltons formation/tactics

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

Now without a doubt Gray got it wrong and hopefully he will have learned but i can't understand why nothing was done to combat us getting overrun in midfield.

It was clear from the 1st minute that Charlton were gonna win the midfield battle (which Gray say's if you win the midfield battle you normally win the game) they had 5 across midfield against Gardner, Coke, Maguire and Magoma - there was only ever going to be one winner.

Yet we just left it and kept getting overrun, Gardner and Coke couldn't get in the game, they had a spare man so when we picked up the ball they pressured us and had 2 men around us.

It was just baffling.

We badly, badly missed out first choice central midfield pairing tonight.

I feel like Semedo would have nullified much of Charltons overloading while Lee would obviously have given us that calmness and control on the ball that we otherwise didn't have tonight. We were aimless, directionless and clueless, and feel they were both a HUGE loss.

Guest Sheff Owl

I just don't get it.

5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes into the game Gardner or Coke couldn't win the ball, couldn't pass the ball, got closed down quickly when they got the ball yet we altered nothing.

I'm not sure what Gray was watching to suggest things will change, now. We had options to change it.