Nicky weaver says

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

Ready for the off: Nicky Weaver is looking forward to pre-season

By Dom Howson Sheffield Wednesday

Published on Friday 24 June 2011 07:25

THE hallmark of a successful team is the ability to score late on in matches.

It is a quality not lost on first-choice Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Nicky Weaver.

Hard graft and honest toil will be the order of the day at Hillsborough this summer, with gary megson expected to put his players vigorously through their paces when his squad report back for pre-season training on Wednesday.

The Owls chief’s objective is to turn his team into one of the fittest in the division next term. For that to become a reality, Megson is determined to whip his players into a shape over a five-and-a-half week period, starting from June 29.

Weaver has told The Star he is unfazed by the prospect of gruelling training sessions following a lengthy vacation.

He said: “It is important we work hard as a group over the summer because we need to hit the ground running and get off to a good start next year. We need to try and be one of the fittest teams in the league. More matches are won and lost in the final 10 to 15 minutes than ever before so our fitness levels need to be good.”

An ardent Owls fan, Weaver is itching to get back into the swing of things, saying: “I have recharged my batteries and I am ready for pre-season now.

“As you get older, you understand what your body needs and how much rest and preparation you need to do. There were a couple of weeks where I did nothing but I have maintained my fitness levels and I feel pretty good.

“It (pre-season) is probably a little bit different for goalkeepers. These days, goalkeepers don’t tend to do exactly the same as the other outfield players. Most of the time, I will be working with goalkeeping coach Andy Rhodes.”

Weaver, snapped up on a free transfer by former boss Alan Irvine following his departure from Burnley, kept 12 clean sheets last season.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Ready for the off: Nicky Weaver is looking forward to pre-season

By Dom Howson Sheffield Wednesday

Published on Friday 24 June 2011 07:25

THE hallmark of a successful team is the ability to score late on in matches.

It is a quality not lost on first-choice Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Nicky Weaver.

Hard graft and honest toil will be the order of the day at Hillsborough this summer, with gary megson expected to put his players vigorously through their paces when his squad report back for pre-season training on Wednesday.

The Owls chief’s objective is to turn his team into one of the fittest in the division next term. For that to become a reality, Megson is determined to whip his players into a shape over a five-and-a-half week period, starting from June 29.

Weaver has told The Star he is unfazed by the prospect of gruelling training sessions following a lengthy vacation.

He said: “It is important we work hard as a group over the summer because we need to hit the ground running and get off to a good start next year. We need to try and be one of the fittest teams in the league. More matches are won and lost in the final 10 to 15 minutes than ever before so our fitness levels need to be good.”

An ardent Owls fan, Weaver is itching to get back into the swing of things, saying: “I have recharged my batteries and I am ready for pre-season now.

“As you get older, you understand what your body needs and how much rest and preparation you need to do. There were a couple of weeks where I did nothing but I have maintained my fitness levels and I feel pretty good.

“It (pre-season) is probably a little bit different for goalkeepers. These days, goalkeepers don’t tend to do exactly the same as the other outfield players. Most of the time, I will be working with goalkeeping coach Andy Rhodes.”

Weaver, snapped up on a free transfer by former boss Alan Irvine following his departure from Burnley, kept 12 clean sheets last season.

Which started so full of promise that I thought he would break his record for Man City......

Weaver is a fantastic keeper for this league

I, like others, was worried he was passed it mid-season when he let in some dire goals. But, we then found out he'd been playing with an injury.

He came back and was phenomenal and his performance against Exeter was top quality.

In weaver we trust!