Dumbfounded

Guest parsimmon

Guest parsimmon

In 32 years of following Wednesday I have never seen a performance or a game that has perplexed me as much as last nights.

Before the game and like most fans I would gave been buoyed by Saturdays result and would have hoped that would have proved to be the catalyst for a vastly improved away showing.How wrong could one be?

Where to start?Firstly you gave to give Stevenage an enormous amount of credit-as chronically abysmal as we were they were exceptionally well prepared,outmuscled us out-played us and simply out-thought us.They played at a tempo that we simply couldn't handle and the way that we were continually cut apart has to already put into question the careers of several Wednesday players-many of whom simply didn't have the heart,desire or seemingly the ability to cope.

All three half time substitutions were fully justified-Prutton,Bennett and Jones were absolutely shocking.Jones in particular was a total liability and the worrying thing for me is that away from home teams just like Stevenage will recognise the fact that he us devoid of pace and struggles when the ball is played into space behind him.At least when Reda came on we actually dealt with more of there threat at source as opposed to letting bizarre scenarios unfould around us.Desperately disappointed in Jones and I'm telling you away from home this guy will cost us big time.Bennett was very poor-seemingly playing the game at three quarter pace he was a passenger who simply let the game pass him by and was rightly brought off at half time.Prutton and Semedo were both as bad as each other and it was a throw up as to who should have come off.I like many others thought that our defence and defensive midfield protection would be the foundation for our progression and success this year but the way in which these two departments were chronically exposed last night casts overwhelming doubt over both the system that we employ and the personnel in there doing the job.

You couldn't really assign any blame to either the forward or the wide players as they were starved of any meaningful service.Thought Jermaine Johnson's sending off looked harsh from where I was sat but he simply never seems to have the ability to walk away from certain situations and is rapidly becoming a liability that we can ill afford despite his undoubted talent.

Have we got the character to bounce back at Yeovil?Really can't answer that one because any faith I had in both the set of players and the management team has been severely questioned.

I find it hard to believe that not one other performance in the last 32 years has perplexed you more than last nights...

Agree about JJ though. Think he is increasingly a liability. Has some skill but isn't a team player and in this league, we need more of those. When Palmer came on for him at the weekend he was head and shoulders above.

Yeah I saw it coming totally! All season it's as if a different team has been playing at home to that of away games. I didn't expect much from a team that's won 1 point away this season, against a team that was well prepared and well up for playing us. The only time I expect a performance this season is at S6

I thought it was all a bit surreal. That first half was certainly up there amongst the worst ever.

Stevenage were a big imposing team who played with skill, pace and had a game plan.

They seemed to be able to score at will in the first half hour.

We just weren't at the races. The hoof ball tactics devoid of any thought that we employed were embarrassing compared their skillful build ups.

They were so much better in very department. Men against boys. Our body language was awful, we looked nervous, didn't want the ball, I was by the touchline and saw it in their faces.

JJ seriously needs to have a word with himself.

O Connor tried really hard when he came on, but the fella he was marking was twice his size and he bounced off him like a pinball. Quite comical really.

Nothing else to laugh about though.

Very worrying all round.

Guest TonyOwl88

Its not an excuse, because they don't deserve one.... but I think these things happen sometimes. Stevenage are actually a good side, and play the style of football we do, but seemingly much better. We may have taken them lightly, which is one of the most annoying things. I refuse to accept we couldn't have done better, but we have to take it and move on now.

Exeter and Leyton Orient away last season weren't too different to last night. Also, we got thumped by Reading 6-0 a couple of times away in our last Championship stint. Its not really like this is a new experience for us.

We should probably afford them the Yeovil game to correct this embarassment, and then if the same happens, we know for certain we have big problems, rather than just being purplexed, which I am right now.

Still, that was as embarassing as it comes.