Taken from a Reading forum

Guest mozzyblue

Guest mozzyblue

Shambolic Owls slip back into bottom three

Last season Sheffield Wednesday were destroyed by six goals to nil at Reading so yesterday’s 5-0 humiliation at the Madejski Stadium could be regarded as progress. Perhaps next season if the Owls stay up they may be able to hold the Royals to four goals?

Seriously though, the ‘if’ Wednesday stay up is looking like a very big and debatable if at the moment. Three defeats and three shocking performances in a row have seen the Owls slump back into the relegation zone and the next few fixtures hardly paint a picture of optimism for the weeks ahead.

One look at Reading’s home record prior to this weekend’s fixture should have suggested a presentable opportunity to pick up some much needed points:

Played 14, Wins 3, Draws 6, Defeats 5, Goals scored 12, Goals conceded 17.

In those 14 games Reading had not scored more than two goals on any occasion and so to lose 5-0 to a club that has such a poor record and is potentially a rival for a relegation spot is nothing short of disgraceful. As stated, it is not just the defeat but the manner of the defeat that is concerning, for three games in succession Wednesday have been really poor and supporters are finding it hard to see where the next three points is going to come from. The heads seem to go down so quickly, to go from 0-0 five minutes from half time to 3-0 down barely 5 minutes into the second half should not be possible and to come out of the game without a single booking may be a good thing in terms of the disciplinary record it does perhaps suggest there is a lack of fight or ability to role the sleeves up and get stuck in when it really matters, this was after all supposed to be a huge game for both sides in light of the respective league positions.

Wednesday boast a goals against and goal difference record that is comparable to that of Peterborough and Sflaphorpe and only three clubs have scored fewer goals than the Owls in the Championship.

The Owls now face play-off hunting Leicester at Hillsborough next weekend followed by a midweek trip to title chasing west Bromwich Albion and then a visit to 4th placed Swansea City on the Saturday

Guest Deleted member

The vast majority of Reading fans coming out of the ground didn't even have the heart to take the wee wee yesterday - they were actually feeling sorry for us.

Thats humiliating.

Shambolic Owls slip back into bottom three

Last season Sheffield Wednesday were destroyed by six goals to nil at Reading so yesterday’s 5-0 humiliation at the Madejski Stadium could be regarded as progress. Perhaps next season if the Owls stay up they may be able to hold the Royals to four goals?

Seriously though, the ‘if’ Wednesday stay up is looking like a very big and debatable if at the moment. Three defeats and three shocking performances in a row have seen the Owls slump back into the relegation zone and the next few fixtures hardly paint a picture of optimism for the weeks ahead.

One look at Reading’s home record prior to this weekend’s fixture should have suggested a presentable opportunity to pick up some much needed points:

Played 14, Wins 3, Draws 6, Defeats 5, Goals scored 12, Goals conceded 17.

In those 14 games Reading had not scored more than two goals on any occasion and so to lose 5-0 to a club that has such a poor record and is potentially a rival for a relegation spot is nothing short of disgraceful. As stated, it is not just the defeat but the manner of the defeat that is concerning, for three games in succession Wednesday have been really poor and supporters are finding it hard to see where the next three points is going to come from. The heads seem to go down so quickly, to go from 0-0 five minutes from half time to 3-0 down barely 5 minutes into the second half should not be possible and to come out of the game without a single booking may be a good thing in terms of the disciplinary record it does perhaps suggest there is a lack of fight or ability to role the sleeves up and get stuck in when it really matters, this was after all supposed to be a huge game for both sides in light of the respective league positions.

Wednesday boast a goals against and goal difference record that is comparable to that of Peterborough and Sflaphorpe and only three clubs have scored fewer goals than the Owls in the Championship.

The Owls now face play-off hunting Leicester at Hillsborough next weekend followed by a midweek trip to title chasing west Bromwich Albion and then a visit to 4th placed Swansea City on the Saturday

I posted after the match stats showing no bookings I simply cannot accept that we can go down by five and not put one challenge in seemingly dodgy in the refs eyes. Beevers' elbow aside. I'm not advocating leg breaking tackles but where is the self respect ? This after you claude no contact defending when not in possession is pathetic and akin to cricket

Guest BigDave

I posted after the match stats showing no bookings I simply cannot accept that we can go down by five and not put one challenge in seemingly dodgy in the refs eyes. Beevers' elbow aside. I'm not advocating leg breaking tackles but where is the self respect ? This after you claude no contact defending when not in possession is pathetic and akin to cricket

There is your answer, i wouldn't be able to look myself straight if i had put that shift in, how many of our players can say that?

Guest Darkus Owlus

This is exactly why we're going down.

The players may not give a carp, but they'll find themselves released upon our nearly certain relegation, and playing for a tin pot club in League 2.

No manager in the Championship is going to sign players who've underachieved all season and can't be bothered.

I fully expect some of released garbage to go the way of Kenny Lunt at the end of the season, if we go down.

Edited by Darkus Owlus

There is your answer, i wouldn't be able to look myself straight if i had put that shift in, how many of our players can say that?

yep I think in most if not all sensible Owls' eyes if they are seen to be committed, try, put tackles in etc you can moan like hell but say okay we're poo poo - but just to make a limp wristed fist of it- til a fluke goes in and the capitulate is sickening -I wonder how many of the shirts needed washing after yesterday?

Guest BigDave

yep I think in most if not all sensible Owls' eyes if they are seen to be committed, try, put tackles in etc you can moan like hell but say okay we're poo poo - but just to make a limp wristed fist of it- til a fluke goes in and the capitulate is sickening -I wonder how many of the shirts needed washing after yesterday?

Some players might aswell wipe their feet on the shirt because that is what they are doing to the tradition of that badge when they play in the shirt