Where do we go next?

Guest OutandOutOwl

Guest OutandOutOwl

Yesterday was disappointing. Part way through the first half around the 30 min mark it looked like we had turned a corner. We then concede a cheap goal from a corner, lose our best midfielder (excluding Barkley who we don't own) to an injury and then we fell into our shell. If we hadn't lost McCabe I think we would have got a point yesterday. He'd have been there in that spot Taylor cleared the ball too. Instead it was Semedo, who was skinned easily before they smashed it in for the winner.

I think we have to use the next week and the game on tuesday to prepare us for the two difficult away games in the league v Wolves and Burnley. We need to play our first choice back four (and probably keeper) and get the defence right. Mattock-Gardner-Taylor-Lee. Southampton are probably too good and will win convincingly, but we should get good practice in. In midfield Barkley is ineligible and McCabe is probably out. If he is, then we might have to play Semedo and Corry. I'd probably give Mayor and JJ a run out on the flanks. Upfront I would go with Madine and Maguire, with the view to starting goal machine upfront on saturday with Rodri. If we had got a return of 4 points from these games, we could probs change the whole 11, but we can't afford to do that now. We are falling behind the pack and our next 3 games all look hard. 3 points v Wolves, Burnley and Hull to take it to keep us on a point a game wouldn't be a disaster.

I think for next weekend. In midfield we need to have McCabe-Barkley-Antonio as three on the team sheet. Semedo it pains me to say, is not good enough for this level. His defensive position is poor and has been for a while now. He is actually worse out position than the two kids who started in the middle. They both actually knew where to be and first half yesterday we won the defensive midfield battle with their support. Antonio had good game and got crosses across the 6 yard box, but Bothroyd who was too lazy all game never got onto them. I think Madine would have been on the end of them. With the other midfield spot, I thought Pecnik did ok yesterday. Not brilliant, but not terrible. The problem is he doesn't fit into a 4-4-2 very well. It looks like we got him on trial thought "wow" and then didn't have a plan how he could be used. I think he is a good impact sub, as is JJ, but neither is worth a starting place. Mayor doesn't seem anywhere near, so perhaps we need to dip into the loan market for someone who can play wide left. What is Treacy doing these days? Him on the left would be a great addition. Surely better than Mayor. Unlike Pecnik, he is at least going to get to the byline and make things happen. It looks like a square peg in a round hole, which isn't good to me.

Upfront I hope we drop Bothroyd and bring in Madine with Rodri as the other striker. I like COG, but Madine is a better player and the one who if he finds form will pull us up the table. His goals got us into this division and he showed last year unlike others like Semedo, Llera, Reda etc that he can play at the level above. To bring him on for 20 mins here or there isn't enough. We need to be playing him for the whole game. Give him chances and he will get goals. He scored 18 for 45 (odd) shots at goal last season.