Wednesdayite

I prefer being part of a group that ATTENDS games

Thats far too radical a thought.

If I were the investors I wouldn't bother with Wednesday. Everyone wanted a new regime, new prices, lower prices, free tickets, dropping of legal action, communication etc etc etc. 19,000 proves that was garbage, people just can't be bothered, and have got used to being spoon fed sterile Premier League mis-matches.

I'm sure i'll get the usual TrueFan, it was raining, it's midweek etc, but after a fantastic win on Saturday, and following the brilliant work done by Strafford, 19,000 is quite frankly embarressing.

I prefer being part of a group that ATTENDS games

Thats far too radical a thought.

If I were the investors I wouldn't bother with Wednesday. Everyone wanted a new regime, new prices, lower prices, free tickets, dropping of legal action, communication etc etc etc. 19,000 proves that was garbage, people just can't be bothered, and have got used to being spoon fed sterile Premier League mis-matches.

I'm sure i'll get the usual TrueFan, it was raining, it's midweek etc, but after a fantastic win on Saturday, and following the brilliant work done by Strafford, 19,000 is quite frankly embarressing.

Why would you level this accusation in a thread about Wednesdayite?

Is there some thought that Wednesdayite members are staying away?

Is there an accusation that it's just Wednesdayite members who are staying away?

Even worse, is Vulva asserting that only Wednesdayite members stayed away because of the regime/prices/legal actions, etc?

It's all poppycock. There are people not going to matches for many differnet reasons - some of them personal, some financial, some through becoming apathetic during the previous regime, some because they simply can't get to the matches, some a mixture of some or all of these.

Without doing any kind of poll but based on levels of attendance at matches this season, I would estimate that more non-Wednesdayite members are staying away than Wednesdayite members, but in any case I'd rather everyone was concentrating on how to get people back than throwing around unfounded soundbites about people not going in a Wednesdayite thread, personally.

Guest Deleted member

There are 2 main reasons people are staying away.

1. The performances (until the last few) havent been great

2. Its still an expensive form of entertainment in the current financial climate and people have to prioritise

Guest Walkley_Owl

Why would you level this accusation in a thread about Wednesdayite?

Is there some thought that Wednesdayite members are staying away?

Is there an accusation that it's just Wednesdayite members who are staying away?

Even worse, is Vulva asserting that only Wednesdayite members stayed away because of the regime/prices/legal actions, etc?

It's all poppycock. There are people not going to matches for many differnet reasons - some of them personal, some financial, some through becoming apathetic during the previous regime, some because they simply can't get to the matches, some a mixture of some or all of these.

Without doing any kind of poll but based on levels of attendance at matches this season, I would estimate that more non-Wednesdayite members are staying away than Wednesdayite members, but in any case I'd rather everyone was concentrating on how to get people back than throwing around unfounded soundbites about people not going in a Wednesdayite thread, personally.

Sorry, mine was a cheap dig at ShrewsburyOwl who more than once has pushed people to join Wednesdayite yet doesn't see fit to attend games which is more of a priority IMHO

Did James really just use the word 'poppycock'? :biggrin:

I considered 'balderdash' for a moment, too.

Pffft, you should hear him at Wednesdayite board meetings!!! i have to minute them and have had to purchase a Victorian dictionary.

Sorry, mine was a cheap dig at ShrewsburyOwl who more than once has pushed people to join Wednesdayite yet doesn't see fit to attend games which is more of a priority IMHO

My 'not attending games' is not down to apathy or some disposition to giving money to the club.

I was forced to drop out of college and live on my own when i was 16, started working in a factory to get rent and food (and flip all else if i remember rightly), got a bar job at 18 and stayed in the pub industry (going through assistant management as i went) which is a legendary source of income. left the barwork after 6 and a bit years to do some temping for the crown prosecution service as a dogsbody. the money was crap but it did at least give me a few contacts and a bit of office experience. After temping around a few other places i landed my current job, working as a technician (read: lowest paid) for an environmental consultancy. For the first time in pretty much my whole life i've actually got 'disposable' income to spend on going to football, not just scrimping on food or something else.

sounds like i've finally found the glorious position of being able to travel the country and see the owls right? not really, a month or so into the season i was accepted onto a masters degree at kingston uni. Now, i get up, work, get home, do uni work till around midnight and then repeat for 5 days of the week where at the weekends i get to kick back and relax with 2 full days of reading, researching and referencing and listening to wednesday world.

my 'not attending games' is something i would dearly love to remedy but at the moment, i've got another 18 months of full time work & education to clear before i can enjoy my spending money.

Is that okay with you?

sorry i'm not a true fan. :rolleyes:

Vulva, you know nothing of peoles circumstances. You can attend every game it seems, lucky you. I and many others cant. If the new investors cant be bothered we'll all 'suffer'. What point are you making if its not the old 'i'm a bigger fan than you' point?

I don't think I made myself clear. I fully understand that attending every game is expensive. My point about the investors is that I suspect they have been sold the deal on the grounds of us being a massive club, with massive fanbase. Since Strafford came in, he's tried to fill the ground, as if to prove to the investors we can do it. Well we can't. If I were an investor, I would be questioning the deal, and asking myself if fans of this football club can actually be arsed.

I don't think I made myself clear. I fully understand that attending every game is expensive. My point about the investors is that I suspect they have been sold the deal on the grounds of us being a massive club, with massive fanbase. Since Strafford came in, he's tried to fill the ground, as if to prove to the investors we can do it. Well we can't. If I were an investor, I would be questioning the deal, and asking myself if fans of this football club can actually be arsed.

Well we will never know i guess...but i don't really care. The change that has been pushed through is still a massive improvement on the poo we had...

You know, professors at the University of Essex have discovered that there is a gene for pessimism.

Now they know about it, they might find a cure - but I wouldn't get your hopes up.