Wednesdayite

Just a thought, could the club and Wednesdayite join together on season ticket forms and have a box included on the form if the season ticket holder would like to join the organisation?

Hi Norm - these type of discussions are taking place and we will have to wait and see what is agreed at the end of the day.

Re Walkley's points - I agree that you will never have 100% membership and also fully agree that people are entitled to their own opinion as to whether to join or not.

Looking at the past, there is increasing realisation that the media was being manipulated to such an extent that I can understand the negative perception amongst a fair section of the fanbase. But the good thing is that people are now starting to see and understand more about the agenda of the last regime as more and more emerges about the way they handled the club. We were always a convenient scapegoat to deflect attention away from the real issues that were not being managed effectively at the club and the old regime used the media very well (although it was not difficult as the media would always want to be 'in' with the club for obvious reasons).

I'm not saying we were perfect - afterall we are just a bunch of passionate part time volunteers - but I strongly believe we recognised that the previous regime were not the solution for the club and it was important that they were not allowed to go about their business without being challenged. I believe that we were right to do that, despite the huge opposition from some fans who had been taken in by the club's media offensive against us. As more information emerges then the picture becomes clearer and supports the strategy and stance we adopted. Jesus - I can tell you none of us enjoyed the 'battle' - all we wanted were people running the club professionally and effectively for the benefit of the fans and the community - pretty basic things really. Knowing that these were our core values we knew that one day the fanbase would begin to see that and it was just a matter of when.

Even with Lee Strafford's call to join up, I don't expect every one to do so and they all have different reasons for not joining. Some might not join now but will be more open minded to what we are doing and may well be persuaded to join later. For some it might be financial, too much hassle, like their own independence, not that bothered, more casual as a fan, stubborn about changing their perception and some will see no need. I respect that and we have to work hard over the coming weeks, months and years to earn an increase in our membership by what we do and what we achieve.

As I said, the good thing is that the old perception is rightly being eroded by a stream of facts, washing away suppositions and falsehoods. But perception is difficult to change and it will take time - particularly as what created that (false) perception in the first place was constant, high profile and at times vicious.

As long as we keep to our core values, it will change over time and we will get more members - so I wouldn't diss those that decide not to join up right now, but encourage them instead to look at what membership brings and how it can help the club.

Hi Norm - these type of discussions are taking place and we will have to wait and see what is agreed at the end of the day.

Re Walkley's points - I agree that you will never have 100% membership and also fully agree that people are entitled to their own opinion as to whether to join or not.

Looking at the past, there is increasing realisation that the media was being manipulated to such an extent that I can understand the negative perception amongst a fair section of the fanbase. But the good thing is that people are now starting to see and understand more about the agenda of the last regime as more and more emerges about the way they handled the club. We were always a convenient scapegoat to deflect attention away from the real issues that were not being managed effectively at the club and the old regime used the media very well (although it was not difficult as the media would always want to be 'in' with the club for obvious reasons).

I'm not saying we were perfect - afterall we are just a bunch of passionate part time volunteers - but I strongly believe we recognised that the previous regime were not the solution for the club and it was important that they were not allowed to go about their business without being challenged. I believe that we were right to do that, despite the huge opposition from some fans who had been taken in by the club's media offensive against us. As more information emerges then the picture becomes clearer and supports the strategy and stance we adopted. Jesus - I can tell you none of us enjoyed the 'battle' - all we wanted were people running the club professionally and effectively for the benefit of the fans and the community - pretty basic things really. Knowing that these were our core values we knew that one day the fanbase would begin to see that and it was just a matter of when.

Even with Lee Strafford's call to join up, I don't expect every one to do so and they all have different reasons for not joining. Some might not join now but will be more open minded to what we are doing and may well be persuaded to join later. For some it might be financial, too much hassle, like their own independence, not that bothered, more casual as a fan, stubborn about changing their perception and some will see no need. I respect that and we have to work hard over the coming weeks, months and years to earn an increase in our membership by what we do and what we achieve.

As I said, the good thing is that the old perception is rightly being eroded by a stream of facts, washing away suppositions and falsehoods. But perception is difficult to change and it will take time - particularly as what created that (false) perception in the first place was constant, high profile and at times vicious.

As long as we keep to our core values, it will change over time and we will get more members - so I wouldn't diss those that decide not to join up right now, but encourage them instead to look at what membership brings and how it can help the club.

^^^^^

If I'd have had time, that's what I would have written... lol

Well as a Wednesdayite director, that is exactly what i'd be lobbying for - endorsement from the club and the option to opt in if you wish. Noone is forced to join and Wednesdayite retain independence.

I hope that wouldn't preclude non-STHs from being a member Jim. I'm sure there are plenty of Wednesday fans for whom the idea of a season ticket is a non-starter but I guess would like to be involved still.

Pretending the Trust, and Wednesdayite are 2 different groups altogether is a convenient cover story for the individuals involved. A Snickers bar is still a Marathon. I may be wrong, but arn't Twix's called Raiders on the continent?

And proving my point on the score of the same unsubstantiated slogans being bandied about over and over again no matter how many times they're discredited...

So who are these power crazed individuals who have used both the Trust and Wednesdayite to further their evil ambitions?

It's nothing personal, but in my opinion fans should stay fans, and stay out of the politics of football.

It's all so simple isn't it? All businessmen are a raging success and all fans are incompetent. And how would you judge someone like Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough who is both?

I get the feeling the Trust/Wednesdayite/make a new name very soon won't stop until they've got a presence on the board, and can jack-boot around the club like they own the place, without having provided any personal financial sacrifice.

Yet more superficial sloganeering reliant on nothing more than personal bias. Who are you referring to? Allen's puppets used to say that all the time about Darryl Keys, no matter how many times he explicitly said he did not want to be on the SWFC board. Now that he's no longer Wednesdayite chairman and has emigrated to Florida, no doubt they'll still have convinced themselves it's all part of the plan somehow. And what 'personal financial sacrifice' did the likes of Kaven Walker and Ashley Carson provide? Or are they exempt because they are 'businessmen'.

I hope that wouldn't preclude non-STHs from being a member Jim. I'm sure there are plenty of Wednesday fans for whom the idea of a season ticket is a non-starter but I guess would like to be involved still.

Absolutely Dessie. There is no bar to membership. As well as asking the club to include the option on ST forms, i'd hope that there will be membership forms in the ticket office. I'd also like to see a prominent direct link to a dedicated membership page(a link to the Wednesdayite website already exists).

Guest Walkley_Owl

They shouldn't be and I wouldn't expect them to be.

It may be more difficult to make themselves heard though.

And therein will lie the difficulties, I would prefer it if individuals could still be heard rather than having to be part of a group, some people may have issues with certain aspects and shouldn't have to go through Wednesdayite to get this across to the club, especially if some of the the problems are not wholly agreed with by other members

And therein will lie the difficulties, I would prefer it if individuals could still be heard rather than having to be part of a group, some people may have issues with certain aspects and shouldn't have to go through Wednesdayite to get this across to the club, especially if some of the the problems are not wholly agreed with by other members

I'm not referring to a principle that would make them less worthy or anything like that, but just the plainly practical factor of a single voice as opposed to an organisation of 1,200 members that the club is going out of it's way to accomodate.

All this without once attending a Wednesdayite board meeting. I doubt you've any idea what we do, what we talk about, what our relationship is with the club, what our aspirations are. How many W'ite meetings have you attended? How many times have you been in the lounge and spoken to members/non members? When did you last engage in conversation with any of the directors? Do you even know who the directors are? Do you know what experience or particular skill they bring to the organisation? How much time do you give up for the benfit of the club and its community on a weekly basis?

Forget vulva's beliefs for a second, to be fair Jimb, think about what your comments above and and consider whether Wednesdayite is as transparent as it could be...

- "I doubt you've any idea what we do, what we talk about" - But, no recent (or semi-recent) board meeting minutes have been published - so how could he (or anyone else for that matter)

- "what our relationship is with the club" - not fully explained to memberhip either. This is obviously changing, but only having two members meetings in the last year or so (excluding Sheard meeting and last night) does not help you to communicate this.

- "Do you even know who the directors are?" - At the Wednesdayite AGM there were approx 10 people on the top table and nobody thought to introduce any of them or explain what they did. Even regular/long term members were unable to name most!

- "Do you know what experience or particular skill they bring to the organisation?" - I don't remember you explaining to members what you would bring to W'ite, before you joined the board. Even after you joined you were unable to explain to me (on these pages) what your particular responsibility was.

As for personal sacrifice, I think Wednesdayite does a great job and thank board members for your work, but don't keep going on about not taking expenses, time spent, etc. This is your hobby. It is not completely selfless. Indeed there are now some perks that are coming your way - even if jack booting around is overstating the case.

Call it a draw.

Pretending the Trust, and Wednesdayite are 2 different groups altogether is a convenient cover story for the individuals involved. A Snickers bar is still a Marathon. I may be wrong, but arn't Twix's called Raiders on the continent?

It's nothing personal, but in my opinion fans should stay fans, and stay out of the politics of football. I get the feeling the Trust/Wednesdayite/make a new name very soon won't stop until they've got a presence on the board, and can jack-boot around the club like they own the place, without having provided any personal financial sacrifice.

Just like you ? ****

Guest Tonto Salchicha

If people choose to join wednesdayite brilliant becuase they do lots of good work, but there are many (the majority) that just want to go to the game and come away. we don't want to be told we have to join a supporters group every hour of the day. this is going to go to far and end up weeing lot of fans off.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

To quote Lee Strafford....'we have a [business] plan and it will happen- if investment is forthcoming then that plan can be executed more rapidly'

For Supporters and Wednesdayite that also applies in so far that change will happen - however change will happen more rapidly the more members Wednesdayite have.

Everyone has a part to play and if you do not want to be part of a supporters group then the recent change in the club now responding [in minutes] to individuals emails etc demonstrates that your voice will be heard, recognised and responded to.

However as history shows, an organised group but in this case in harmony with the club, can effect changes that you too may wish to see, very rapidly.

You have a choice but things you personally may want to see implemented that improves your enjoyment and day to day experience of SWFC can happen sooner by sheer weight of numbers.

The door is open...aren't you just one little bit curious? :biggrin:

Forget vulva's beliefs for a second, to be fair Jimb, think about what your comments above and and consider whether Wednesdayite is as transparent as it could be...

- "I doubt you've any idea what we do, what we talk about" - But, no recent (or semi-recent) board meeting minutes have been published - so how could he (or anyone else for that matter)

- "what our relationship is with the club" - not fully explained to memberhip either. This is obviously changing, but only having two members meetings in the last year or so (excluding Sheard meeting and last night) does not help you to communicate this.

- "Do you even know who the directors are?" - At the Wednesdayite AGM there were approx 10 people on the top table and nobody thought to introduce any of them or explain what they did. Even regular/long term members were unable to name most!

- "Do you know what experience or particular skill they bring to the organisation?" - I don't remember you explaining to members what you would bring to W'ite, before you joined the board. Even after you joined you were unable to explain to me (on these pages) what your particular responsibility was.

As for personal sacrifice, I think Wednesdayite does a great job and thank board members for your work, but don't keep going on about not taking expenses, time spent, etc. This is your hobby. It is not completely selfless. Indeed there are now some perks that are coming your way - even if jack booting around is overstating the case.

There's some quite valid observations there it seems to me.

Guest Tonto Salchicha

All this without once attending a Wednesdayite board meeting. I doubt you've any idea what we do, what we talk about, what our relationship is with the club, what our aspirations are. How many W'ite meetings have you attended? How many times have you been in the lounge and spoken to members/non members? When did you last engage in conversation with any of the directors? Do you even know who the directors are? Do you know what experience or particular skill they bring to the organisation? How much time do you give up for the benfit of the club and its community on a weekly basis?

I know every director personally (and i'm pretty sure you know very few, if any) and none has aspirations to 'jack-boot around the club like they own the place'. That just sounds like misguided jealousy. Do you imagine we are all in there quaffing champagne on a daily basis?

And as for zero personal financial sacrifice, well, i give up my time to help the club and its community in any way i can. I and my fellow directors and members are about to embark on the biggest period of free consultation in the clubs history. Many of our directors and members make donations of cash to our various funds on a regular basis - this goes back to the club with zero personal benefit. I donated a raffle prize last night that had happily paid for and it helped sell a good number of raffle tickets which is more funding for SWFC.

But never mind the facts Vulva. You just carry on moaning. Just be aware, your audience is dwindling rapidly.

Wednesdayite treat members like mushrooms, they don't have regular monthly member meetings like most other trusts, they don't publish up to date meeting minutes like most other trusts, who are the directors and what the f**k do they do? lets hear what particular skills they bring to the organisation and what responsibilities they have because no one knows.

Guest Tonto Salchicha

News And Events

Sheffield Wednesday - Rowing Mad - 21st November 2006

Wednesdayite, the Sheffield Wednesday Supporters' Society, have kicked off the Smile Tickets Campaign for Sheffield Wednesday with a sponsored row.

Wednesdayite member Myles Dempsey has started a 3,566 Kilometer row which he plans to complete before the final whistle on the 5th May 2007.

The distance is the combined distance between Hillsborough's centre spot and the centre spot of each away ground Sheffield Wednesday will vist this season in the league.

When asked about Smile Tickets Myles replied.

"Smile Tickets just make sense. Every pound donated is spent at the club and in doing so some people get to enjoy a football match for free. There are very few times in life when you can be involved with something where everyone wins. I knew I had to do something."

"I enjoy rowing so I wanted to do a sponsored row but I needed to make the event football related. The Smile Ticket ethos of including all fans really hit a nerve with me and that was how I came up with the idea of rowing to all the away grounds. By visiting all the away grounds, figuratively speaking, I felt like my row was doing it's small part to both raise money and bring fans together."

This has been explained by Daz regarding past board meetings. He fully intends to write up outstanding minutes. The last board meeting was on 17th Jan 2009. The minutes were written up the next day(i know this because i did them). The next board meeting is tomorrow. Assuming that the minutes are accepted by all present, i wouuld expect them to be published as soon as James is able after the meeting. This is how i expect things to be from here on.

And i would agree, we do need more members meetings and/or newletters. I would argue that the website is updated far more regularly than ever before and that wherever appropriate a response from W'ite is forthcoming and published. The last 12 months are fairly unprecidented - the Sheard saga took up a lot of time and energy. The last members meeting was in december. Last nights meeting was all about trying to show how Wednesdayites relationship with the club has changed.

I'm fairly sure that the main protaganists were identified, but i agree, the rest of us were not. I shall endeavour to make sure this is rectified in future.

I haven't yet had the chance to explain to members what i bring(if anything) as i am still a co-opted director. The elections process will be starting very shortly and should i want to remain on the Wednesdayite board i will have to stand for election. At the time of our discussion (i can't say i remember it verbatim so forgive me) i had been involved only for a short time. Things are slightly different now and i hope (should i be elected at the forthcoming elections) to continue some of the things i have been doing recently - organising the flag(this requires liaison with club staff etc), getting involved in improving SWFC's retail operations (where i have some experience) and generally doing whatever is required of me(such as running around a room with a radio mic).

I thank you for recognising that we do a lot of hard work for free. As for perks? well, i pay my membership the same as you. i pay for my carpark ST the same as you. i pay for my match tickets home(ST holder) and away the same as you. If i want food or drink in the ground i pay for them the same as you. I suppose i get to miss the first 10 minutes of a game unlike you as a have to get from the pitchside to the grandstand. And i suppose being at the sharp end of wednesdayite means i probably spend more money on raffle tickets and prizes than i would normally. Oh yeah, i also get to buy the pork sarnies for those that volunteer to clear the carpark - i probably wouldn't do that if i weren't a director. And i resent the suggestion that i have 'kept on about not taking expenses, time spent etc' and that my (and other directors) efforts aren't completely selfless. When exactly did i say that? Which part of what i do as a director is selfish? You are right, i do it because i love my club and i love that there is an incredible and diverse community of supporters who are willing to work together for the common good of each other and their club.

Edited by jimb