Flagpoles outside ground

Guest ReginaldBlinker

all of the stand roofs have flags on at Bramall Lane i noticed yesterday. was about the only non blue and white thing i saw there that impressed me.

Guest ReginaldBlinker

We could also put flags on the Kop wall too - anyone driving past would feel like they were entering the 'Wednesday Zone!!!!' It'd be pretty impressive. Longer term, the club ought to get the land opposite the Kop and do something with it - turn the entire area into the Owls' village. Stick an official Owls' boozer on there plus somewhere to eat, etc on match days.

We could also put flags on the Kop wall too - anyone driving past would feel like they were entering the 'Wednesday Zone!!!!' It'd be pretty impressive. Longer term, the club ought to get the land opposite the Kop and do something with it - turn the entire area into the Owls' village. Stick an official Owls' boozer on there plus somewhere to eat, etc on match days.

A hotel maybe :ph34r:

Guest plentyoftheblue

Can't we use them? I think it would look superb with Owls flags up.

Agreed...it would be a good idea, they have been left since 96...It would look awesome looking down Penistone Road on a matchday and seeing 10+ masts complete with SWFC flags attached

Guest Parky1867

As I drove down to the ground to get tickets for the Barnsley game the other day, I imagined how impressive it could look if we had a massive Wednesday Arch over Penistone Rd, just as you reach the stadium.

Im sure there would be a lot of regulations preventing it, (planning permission and so forth), and also a lot of fans would probably hate the idea, but I thought it sounded good in my head for a split second as I was driving up.

Guest jimmyowl77

I'd have thought the flag poles would belong to Sheffield council so the club would have to ask/pay to use them

Would be great tho

Guest jimmyowl77

I think that having a bridge going over the road would be a great idea, as it would cut down on people having to walk accross the road and slowing the traffic down as much, granted it would still be slow as there are thousands using that road to go too and from the ground as well as driving into and out of Sheffield itself. With a bridge it would allow fans to get to the other side of the road without having to dodge cars and hold up traffic.

The chances are they will do as they're on the road itself, I can't think of any reason we couldn't buy the flag poles of the council and then just have banners of past and present players in a sort of time line. Using images from cup finals to fans going crazy and things like that.

We could put current players faces on each flag to strike fear into visiting fans/team, Er maybe not just yet anyway

Guest Ronaldo_1867

The problem with a bridge is that Penistone Road itself isn't that dangerous to pedestrians, as traffic is hardly moving anyway. You can't really "justify" it...

I can remember the flags at Euro 96 on Penistone Road that had pictures of England legends.

A Bobby Moore one may have been *ahem* acquired by me at the end of the tournament. Thanks to my new Croatian mates for giving me a leg up :biggrin:

I remember them being used at Euro '96.

No reason why they shouldnt be in constant use in my opinion.

If you take a good look at the bases of several of the poles they are in my opinion structurually unsafe sorry for being a bit H.S.E esk but ive been thinking the council bods ought to be having a look at them if they fell on a match day there.d be a big claim going in .. :mellow: