Owlstalk Academy Evening

Guest Bellsview

You'll have to explain mate as I don't know where you're coming from.

What I would like to know though is why some of those who attended on the night (ie those who slated me for backng Ashley Carson when I met him, and who kept telling me what a so and so he is and disgrace to the club he is etc) didn't have he balls to confront him directly about their problems with him.

They were all there, Hugeowl, Arthur "spammer" Bach, Nigel Short etc - yet none of them said anything to him about the legal action. In fact Nigel was too busy shaking Ashley's hand and laughing/joking with him to remember what he'd posted about him on here.

Now they are the people you can accuse of having no spine Walkers mate, not me. All of them quite happy to tuck into food paid for by Ashley Carson on the night and attend the event, yet none of them quite as keen to tell him to his face what they are happy to post about him on here.

As for me though, I'd just like to thank Ashley (SWFC legend) for organising the event, as it gave a fantastic insight into the academy and how it is run. Not to mention the fact that over £500 was raised on the night for the academy - for which Neil should also be thanked, for arranging for Owlstalk to be Academy Patrons. As too should Vikki, for her help and support re selling raffle tickets etc.

Do you want to withdraw the comment about me being there ?

Bells you know me I'm a sarky git, and was being again

I must admit i thought you were just having a gentle joke

I suppose Bells has his sarcasm detector in disarray after the last few weeks.

Bells....

Thanks for the post - insightful and comprehensive

Thanks Bells.

The Academy is the life blood of our Club and much more needs to be done to help it both from the Club and the Fans.

The most frightening fact that came from the post is:-

In 2007 only 38% of starts in games were made by English players, which averages out at 4 players per 11.

Which bears out what i have often said - the academy system is a potentially great system - but done badly in the main

Which is why quite a few clubs that i am aware of have pretty much taken the good things from the original system - and there are many - but they have started to take a lot of aspects of european player development - especially in the youngest age groups - and are going in a different direction

It's my belief that our academy system needs root and branch review and changes - but with the best in the world at the forefront

The Premier League has never been won by an English manager.[/b]

Frankly coach education has been very disappointing - it says it all that the uber-star of our coach education system is Maclown

Having been through the system it amzed, bemused and dismayed me just how poor it was - where it's more important to look and sound like a coach than it is to actually be a good coach - i found it exclusive and elitest - probably even more so these days

It probably explains the current state of the English International team and questions why the PL is marketed as the Best of British Football.

The national team is probably there or thereabouts with it's historic place in the natural pecking order - we probably have a similar amount of world class players as we would historically - though the academy system was supposed to provide us with much more - as i said - it's failed.

As for the PL - just because it doesn't contain a majority of English players doesn't mean it's not the best league in the world - and it is the most watched around the globe - you can fool some of the people some of the time and all that.....the proof of the pudding is in the global viewing figures

Edited by scram

They were all there, Hugeowl, Arthur "spammer" Bach, Nigel Short etc - yet none of them said anything to him about the legal action. In fact Nigel was too busy shaking Ashley's hand and laughing/joking with him to remember what he'd posted about him on here.

Did you mention your problem with them at the event, or did you wait to post it on here?

Guest Bellsview

Did you mention your problem with them at the event, or did you wait to post it on here?

Problem? :laugh:

Why would it be a problem for me? I found it amusing if anything.

One minute these posters are saying they want him out of the club, the next they are attending an event organised by him and accepting his hospitality, and in one case actually shaking his hand.

Can't you see the comedy value in that?

One minute these posters are saying they want him out of the club, the next they are attending an event organised by him and accepting his hospitality, and in one case actually shaking his hand.

Just for the Record i did not attend just for the reasons you have stated , I initially wanted to go because i wanted to hear what Sean Mccauley had to say compared to the previous meeting i attended with Mark Smith , but i didn't attend because i felt it was a little hypocritical given my feelings toward Ashley Carson .

And before you start Bells i did not think it was the right and proper place to take him to task on the outstanding legal maters but he has got to live with what he has done in the past and i have no problem with him once he has put things right .

So instead of just ignoring my previous post i look forward to your apology .

Guest Bellsview

Just for the Record i did not attend just for the reasons you have stated , I initially wanted to go because i wanted to hear what Sean Mccauley had to say compared to the previous meeting i attended with Mark Smith , but i didn't attend because i felt it was a little hypocritical given my feelings toward Ashley Carson .

And before you start Bells i did not think it was the right and proper place to take him to task on the outstanding legal maters but he has got to live with what he has done in the past and i have no problem with him once he has put things right .

So instead of just ignoring my previous post i look forward to your apology .

Yes I'll apologise to you but I'm also sure you can see my point of view as well?

I get slated by people for sticking up for AC, yet SOME of those self same people then take advantage of his hospitality and don't even use the opportunity to bring up the legal action with him and air their grievances. Do you not think that's cowardly and hypocritical?

I'll also apologise for my comments re Nigel as well, I wanted to prove a point more than stick the boot in to him - and slating a supporter like Nigel I know too well is scoring an own goal on my part, and he's proved to be the bigger man by not biting.

People know what I think of Ashley Carson. After having met him, I believe I was wrong to slate him in the way I did and I think he is an asset to the club and doing a good job. People can live in the past if they want to and continue to bring up his previous actions, but I personally think it's time to move on and let him make up for the mistakes he has made. Give him a second chance, it's not too much to ask is it if it means SWFC benefit by it?

The academy event was a good start in helping AC rebuild his reputation and I hope that those who met him and saw him for the first time got to see a side to him rarely mentioned on here.

This will be the last time I bring up the issue now as it's more than run it's course.

That's a fair apology Bells, but i've got to admit i have been wondering what happened to all insults regarding 'you and ashley in the tunnel'.

there were quite a few people throwing verbal poo poo at you (whether for previous dislike or not) that for some reason or another seem to have dried up all of a sudden.

oh well, life is fun huh? :laugh:

That's a fair apology Bells, but i've got to admit i have been wondering what happened to all insults regarding 'you and ashley in the tunnel'.

there were quite a few people throwing verbal poo poo at you (whether for previous dislike or not) that for some reason or another seem to have dried up all of a sudden.

oh well, life is fun huh? :laugh:

I think most people are attempting to move on in this promising new era which is hopefully unfolding

So time to leave the past in the past - and it's not very easy - but for the sake of the betterment of the club it nees to be done.

I won't deny i would prefer to see Mr Carson fall on his sword - but if he's gonna be here then i hope he does the best job he possibly can

But there's no point in being at war over it any more.

Reasons for Change

The Premier League has never been won by an English manager.

-------------------------------------------------

when did l**ds win the prem / division 1 with our very own Wilko in charge....thought it was a premshit season or was it just before

Yes I'll apologise to you but I'm also sure you can see my point of view as well?

I get slated by people for sticking up for AC, yet SOME of those self same people then take advantage of his hospitality and don't even use the opportunity to bring up the legal action with him and air their grievances. Do you not think that's cowardly and hypocritical?

I'll also apologise for my comments re Nigel as well, I wanted to prove a point more than stick the boot in to him - and slating a supporter like Nigel I know too well is scoring an own goal on my part, and he's proved to be the bigger man by not biting.

People know what I think of Ashley Carson. After having met him, I believe I was wrong to slate him in the way I did and I think he is an asset to the club and doing a good job. People can live in the past if they want to and continue to bring up his previous actions, but I personally think it's time to move on and let him make up for the mistakes he has made. Give him a second chance, it's not too much to ask is it if it means SWFC benefit by it?

The academy event was a good start in helping AC rebuild his reputation and I hope that those who met him and saw him for the first time got to see a side to him rarely mentioned on here.

This will be the last time I bring up the issue now as it's more than run it's course.

Your apology is accepted thank you .

What people do and the way they deal with things are up to each individual and i have given you my reasons why i did not attend, that does not mean to say that i would not confront AC about my feelings and i would be happy to meet him and try to let him convince me that its all in the past but until he puts the legal poo poo right with Daz and apologises for adding his name to that list i will still have negative feelings towards him .

Sorry but that is how i feel .

Reading through SM's thoughts on here you might say it is pretty damning of a system that was supposed to be world class

World class money to finance it though....

I think most of us would have some grasp of the problems within football at the moment, its still very concerning / alarming when presented with the facts / statistics from SM via Bells (good article I might add).

Its been said many times before but I don`t see how a "normal" club will ever compete at the highest level again. Even the fa cup, which none of the big 4 give a throw about in the early rounds has only been won once in the last decade by a team outside of the big 4.

That's the challenge the system was supposed to have risen to

The system hasn't worked and now we're playing catch-up

It could take years for it to be redressed - and that's after clubs start to take a new approach on player development and start doing things differently

Guest Deleted member

Where did I say that?

Accepted. thrower lol