Owlstalk Academy Evening

Guest Bellsview

Guest Bellsview

Owlstalk 08/09: Hallamshire Suite

Thursday, 22 January 2009 at 7.00pm

1) Welcome and Introductions

Ashley Carson welcomed everybody to the patron’s event and thanked them for attending. He introduced the Panel, which consisted of: Nick Parker (Observer), Sean McAuley, Luke Boden and Nathen Modest.

The agenda for the event was as follows:

• Sean McAuley – Academy Presentation;

• Q&A Session with Sean, Luke and Nathen;

• Break for pie & peas;

• Informal questions/chat with the Panel; and

• Fundraising – Raffle ticket sales.

Ashley Carson thanked Owlstalk for becoming patron and informed the meeting that the club currently had 11 patrons, who each donated approx. £2,500 to the academy per annum. He stated that these monies were used for a variety of things, which included the purchase of gym equipment and IT equipment.

Attendees were informed that it cost approximately £500k per annum to run the academy, of which around £280k came from the club. The shortfall had to be found from external sources, with such as Grant Aid, Education Funding and patrons all contributing financially.

Ashley went on to explain that at the present time the academy was desperate for new gym equipment, with 2 cross-trainers, at a cost of £1,000 each, being the top priority.

He then handed over to Sean McAuley.

2) Sean McAuley – Academy Presentation

Sean thanked Ashley Carson for organising the event and also thanked Owlstalk for becoming academy patrons. He gave a brief overview of the items to be covered in his PowerPoint presentation, which included:

• Academy Philosophy;

• Reasons for Change;

• The Game Now; and

• The Game in 2020.

Sean’s presentation commenced with a photograph comparison between a team in the 1950’s and one of today. He explained the changes that have taken place in relation to social culture, in that whilst the players of the 1950’s were almost regimental, in that they behaved well and did as they were told, the players of today, with all the distractions available to them, needed to be managed more. The game itself had also moved on considerably since back then, with tactics and systems playing a far more important role now.

When he joined the club, Sean was shocked at the amount of power that the academy had lost. He was disappointed about this as he is a firm believer that the club is bigger than any individual(s). So in view of this, Sean wanted to change the philosophy of the club and also changed the existing rules. He gauged people’s thoughts and opinions and came up with a new philosophy for the academy. His belief in the new philosophy was paramount and any academy player who did not share that belief would not be a part of the club. His philosophy was simple but striking and detailed as follows:

“To coach the individual within the team”.

Academy Goal

The goal of the academy was simple:

“To create a player of value to SWFC”.

Sean explained that whilst the goal was to create players of value to the club, those that did not achieve that still benefitted, as the academy education and coaching programme in place at the club ensured that those who left the club, did so with a qualification the equivalent of 3 A’ Levels.

Sean then showed a photo of Beevers and Spurr, and explained that because they had gone through the academy and had the philosophy drilled into them, they had a greater affinity with the club than they might have had if they had joined for a fee. This, it was hoped, would help SWFC retain young players of quality.

Technical Programme

Sean stated that the academy wanted to coach the game for the future. With the academy players being of such a young age, they would still be involved in the game 10 years on and they needed to be coached for that, with the philosophy being:

“If individuals perform the results will follow”.

This was a long-term focus and goal.

Reasons for Change

Sean stated that sine the evolution of the Premier League in 1992/93, the game in this country and globally had changed markedly. Players now had superstar status, the Premier League was being shown in 200+ countries, the finances in the game had increased, the number of non-British player signings had increased, as had the number of non-British managers and coaches.

Priorities in the game had changed, with clubs fielding weakened sides in the FA and League Cups as Premier League survival was the priority.

42 clubs had appeared in the Premier League since its conception.

In 2007 only 38% of starts in games were made by English players, which averages out at 4 players per 11.

The Premier League has never been won by an English manager.

Changes on the Field Physically

Sean gave more interesting facts and statistics, which included:

• Increased distances covered in ALL positions per game – approx 23km;

• Increased distances at high speed;

• Number of sprints per game doubled since 2002;

• High intensity activities almost doubled since 2002;

• Increased levels of body strength now required;

• Increased resistance to injury now more apparent and required (Sean hoped SWFC would look into this more, in line with changes made at the very top of the game).

• Diet now more important;

• Increased recovery and regeneration strategies;

• Larger player pools;

• Increased number of substitutes.

Changes on the Field

• Increased possession;

• Increase in keeping possession;

• Increase in number of goals from longer passing sequences;

• Increased passes below head level;

• Increased running with the ball;

• Increase in number of teams regaining possession deeper and counter attacking quicker;

• Offside played deeper; and

• Increased goals from central approaches (Z14)*

*Z14 is the zonal area of the pitch (pitch is split up into 19 zonal areas by tacticians) on the edge of the box, which after study has been shown to be the most important area for goal assists. More passes before a goal came from this area of the pitch than any other during the World Cup in 2002. In 1998, when France won the World Cup, 50% of their goals were created from Z14.

SWFC Technical Programme – Modern Trends

• Playing philosophy – review systems – style of play;

• Developing Individuals; and

• Adopt a long-term strategy.

Modern Trends for Coaches

Sean explained that the average number of passes per goal in today’s game is 4.6 (this includes free-kicks, corners, set pieces). In this year’s Champions League, 42% of all goals came from 5 passes or more.

Manchester United won the Champions League in 2008 with 47% of their goals scored from 5 passes or more (this figure also includes free-kicks, corners, set pieces).

Modern Trends v Traditional Coaching

Sean reported that 15 years ago 80% of all goals in the English game came from 3 passes or less.

Technical Programme 9-16

Sean quoted both Sir Alex Ferguson and Gianluca Vialli in trying to explain his point.

“Players should be given a full range of tools, technical and physical, with the exception of the tactical aspects of the game” Sir Alex Ferguson

“The same drills over and over for hours – one touch control, shoot, left, right, over and over again. My peers in England I don’t think ever did these drills" – G Vialli (The Italian Job).

Creative Skills and Techniques – Modern Trends

• Improvement in Youth Football;

• Recruiting players from around the globe; and

• Preparing players for elite football

Sean very much wanted SWFC to adopt these trends.

The Game in 2020

Sean’s belief is that the game will expand in the following areas:

• Quicker feet;

• Assured first touch;

• Space and time making skills (eg looking to play ball instead of booting into Row Z);

• Release (contact) excellence;

• All at optimum speed.

• Players will be faster;

• They will be unorthodox (doing the unexpected);

• Varied (tempo);

• Intelligent (on same wave length);

• Disguised (use deceptive play);

• Possession based;

• Timing;

• Athleticism will be greater.

SWFC Academy Questions

• 4 v 4 or street soccer?

• SSG?

• Drills and small group work?

• Development v Results? Sean very much believes development of the player should come first.

• Winning mentality (culture)?

• Thinking Players (self-analysis, questioning)?

“Be not afraid of growing strongly, be afraid only of standing still”.

Owlstalk Support

• Help with funding;

• Raise awareness of the academy;

• Assist in developing players for the future of SWFC

Owlstalk Support – Future Developments

• Foreign tournaments;

• Update equipment and facilities;

• Keep at the forefront of modern trends as the game is developing.

This concluded Sean’s presentation, for which he received a warm round of applause.

QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION

Ashley Carson then invited those in attendance to ask questions and the following subjects were discussed:

• How young can it be that players are watched/recruited?

• What it costs to “produce” a player.

• Systems of play.

• Relationship between the academy/first team and Sean/Brian.

• A day in the life of an academy player.

• What is the scouting structure at the club?

• Does the academy receive any monies if a player developed by the academy is sold?

At this point Ashley Carson informed the meeting that food was ready and this was the end of the night’s formal proceedings.

Is it me or do other people feel its scandalous that the club can't afford £2k for cross trainers for the kids??

I worked out during the dark days that I had over 1k of disposable income a season that I would have spent at the club, but wasn't due to the shop, ticket office, Dave and Kaven, match day experience etc etc etc

Factor that across the fanbase (even dramatically reduced), and the corporate side of things, and being short of 2k does seem a bit bizarre.

That said, I have faith that is being addressed now.

Be interesting to see if the beamback brings anything in, as there is no way it would have even been considered under the old regime in my opinion.

I worked out during the dark days that I had over 1k of disposable income a season that I would have spent at the club, but wasn't due to the shop, ticket office, Dave and Kaven, match day experience etc etc etc

Factor that across the fanbase (even dramatically reduced), and the corporate side of things, and being short of 2k does seem a bit bizarre.

That said, I have faith that is being addressed now.

Be interesting to see if the beamback brings anything in, as there is no way it would have even been considered under the old regime in my opinion.

or anybodies opinion come to that. :mellow:
  • Like 1

Is it me or do other people feel its scandalous that the club can't afford £2k for cross trainers for the kids??

Not really - it's just the next thing on the shopping list for a club with finite resources.

Once we get those cross trainers, they'll need 3 bikes, then a couple of treadmills etc etc - the list is endless

So long as we keep improving and adding to our equipment then I'm sure Sean Macauley will be delighted

• Like 1

Guest Bellsview

CardiffOwl had the ticket details.

What a crock of crap that is bells, you're a disgrace, where's your spine man

You'll have to explain mate as I don't know where you're coming from.

What I would like to know though is why some of those who attended on the night (ie those who slated me for backng Ashley Carson when I met him, and who kept telling me what a so and so he is and disgrace to the club he is etc) didn't have he balls to confront him directly about their problems with him.

They were all there, Hugeowl, Arthur "spammer" Bach, Nigel Short etc - yet none of them said anything to him about the legal action. In fact Nigel was too busy shaking Ashley's hand and laughing/joking with him to remember what he'd posted about him on here.

Now they are the people you can accuse of having no spine Walkers mate, not me. All of them quite happy to tuck into food paid for by Ashley Carson on the night and attend the event, yet none of them quite as keen to tell him to his face what they are happy to post about him on here.

As for me though, I'd just like to thank Ashley (SWFC legend) for organising the event, as it gave a fantastic insight into the academy and how it is run. Not to mention the fact that over £500 was raised on the night for the academy - for which Neil should also be thanked, for arranging for Owlstalk to be Academy Patrons. As too should Vikki, for her help and support re selling raffle tickets etc.

Not really - it's just the next thing on the shopping list for a club with finite resources.

Once we get those cross trainers, they'll need 3 bikes, then a couple of treadmills etc etc - the list is endless

So long as we keep improving and adding to our equipment then I'm sure Sean Macauley will be delighted

Well i must admit to being thoroughly perplexed how we can spend the amount we do yet seemingly have nothing in the way of equipment.

Where is £500k pa going?

• Like 1

Thanks Bells.

The Academy is the life blood of our Club and much more needs to be done to help it both from the Club and the Fans.

The most frightening fact that came from the post is:-

In 2007 only 38% of starts in games were made by English players, which averages out at 4 players per 11.

The Premier League has never been won by an English manager.

It probably explains the current state of the English International team and questions why the PL is marketed as the Best of British Football.

• Like 1

Guest Walkley_Owl

What I would like to know though is why some of those who attended on the night (ie those who slated me for backng Ashley Carson when I met him, and who kept telling me what a so and so he is and disgrace to the club he is etc) didn't have he balls to confront him directly about their problems with him.

They were all there, Hugeowl, Arthur "spammer" Bach, Nigel Short etc - yet none of them said anything to him about the legal action. In fact Nigel was too busy shaking Ashley's hand and laughing/joking with him to remember what he'd posted about him on here.

Now they are the people you can accuse of having no spine Walkers mate, not me. All of them quite happy to tuck into food paid for by Ashley Carson on the night and attend the event, yet none of them quite as keen to tell him to his face what they are happy to post about him on here.

As for me though, I'd just like to thank Ashley (SWFC legend) for organising the event, as it gave a fantastic insight into the academy and how it is run. Not to mention the fact that over £500 was raised on the night for the academy - for which Neil should also be thanked, for arranging for Owlstalk to be Academy Patrons. As too should Vikki, for her help and support re selling raffle tickets etc.

Bells you know me I'm a sarky git, and was being again

Thanks very much for the well put together summary of the academy evening, Bells.......why did you have to go and spoil it with a dig?

Has it ever crossed your mind that the likes of Nigel, Arthur and Hugeowl are trying to move on.......maybe you should give it a try mate.