Performance Analysis

Either Deejayone or Bells mentioned that the academy has recently installed some computer performance analysis software. Can anyone elaborate on this? What is it called, how is it used etc?

Prozone have a product aimed specifically at academies which allows scholars to analyse their own performance from a single video camera, this isn't used by our academy. Amisco, a French company, also offer a similar product and are making progress in England. I don't think this is what we use either. Obviously, the aim is to improve the teams tactics and fitness but they also give the scholars an insight into the world of sports science. Does anyone have any further details?

Incidentally, and off topic as this concerns the 1st team only, Brian Laws worked very closely with Prozone when developing their scaled down software aimed at the more restrictive finances of the Championship. Luggy used Prozone at Southampton and uses it now at Plymouth. Guess which well run club has never used it...

This section is a great idea, I'm looking forward to supporting and learning more about the academy.

It's probably more beneficial in the academy imo

But i do think this type of stuff gets very overused and is very overrated

I can see why academies use it - because it's much easier to make specific points to young players learning the game by showing them - it can also offer a wealth of information related to stats - a lot of them useless though - again imo.

It's okay imo - but like sports science it needs to be kept in context.

Does the kind of software create cold, hard stats like whats on a managerial game, or analyse techniques

p.s I really cant understand how it works

Just stats.

The academy product would involve using a single camera to log each event (touch, pass, shot etc) of a match and whereabouts on the pitch that event occurred. This gives an idea of each players contribution to the game and allows any trends to be observed over a season.

The full version used by most premiership clubs (and the pigs) is similar in concept but each players exact movements are logged using several more cameras. This produces a breakdown of each players physical contribution throughout the game and many many other, often needless, statistics.

It's probably more beneficial in the academy imo

But i do think this type of stuff gets very overused and is very overrated

I can see why academies use it - because it's much easier to make specific points to young players learning the game by showing them - it can also offer a wealth of information related to stats - a lot of them useless though - again imo.

It's okay imo - but like sports science it needs to be kept in context.

I agree, it is overrated and should be used as a tool and not a replacement for knowledge. Sam Allardyce would probably give it a fair bit of credit as he puts a lot of faith in technology and has 3 or 4 sports scientist using this kind of stuff. On the other hand, at Arsenal it wouldn't even get as far as Pat Rice and is only used by coaches to spot points for discussion/improvement that may have been picked up anyway.

I assume it would be more useful to academies as the scholars actually operate and analyse there own games which, whilst I accept you may be sceptical about sports science, is surely good for their education.

I don't know the specific brand, but it definitely is not Prozone.

I know that the academy would like to have Prozone, but simply can't afford it at the moment.

Cheers mate, I'd be interested to know more.

isn't it just the team POLAR straps that the lads use that you are all referring to, which monitor work rate etc?

No idea mate, but thanks for the info, if true.

For the record, I'm not criticising the club, AC, the academy or Sean for having or not having any piece of software. How an academy and it's coaches operate are beyond me and it may not suit Sean's approach. I'm also fully aware that money is tight. I just wanted to find out more about something Deejayone mentioned the other day as this could be an area that the club might like assistance with (again, probably more pressing needs for funding).

Edited by Sonny

isn't it just the team POLAR straps that the lads use that you are all referring to, which monitor work rate etc?

They're heartrate monitors

Don't really offer huge amounts of info other than HR zones which the wearer spends time in - it's a fitness assessment tool really - doesn't analyse the game at all

I accept you may be sceptical about sports science, is surely good for their education.

You're getting sports science and technology mixed up a bit.

I'm not saying sports science doesn't have a place - it does and if it's put in it's place it is beneficial.

But some people in the game become slaves to it and have waaaaay too many expectations of what it can do in a tangible football sense.

Bearing in mind there is very limited research evidence for many of the accepted paradigms currently used.

As i said - it has a place if used correctly

Well i would disagree personally

Technology is the game analysis - stats - opta type stuff

I would attribute sports science to be much more about the physiology and body systems along with diet/nutrition/fitness/strength/endurance/recovery type stuff.

Personally i think both have a place - but they're not overly useful - especially when over-relied on.

The Wednesday will soon be getting Prozone cameras installed at Hillsborough. This is the full product used by much of the premiership and championship and will involve analysis of all home games along with a sports scientist being employed at the club. It's quite interesting that this has happened so soon after the new guys came in. Laws helped develop a scaled down version of this product whilst at Sflaphorpe and would certainly have wanted it as soon as he arrived at Wednesday but was obviously denied the funds (as was Sturrock, another past and present user). It's not particularly cheap so it's a positive sign for future investment if this money can be found and doesn't have to be prioritised into 1st team wages etc.

This is a 1st team matter so should really be in Matchday section but I can't be bothered to start a new thread, apologies for hijacking the academy section.