SWFC Bar / Pub

Everyone bangs on about getting to the ground early and spending money in there...

Why not buy a bar in Hillsborough or town? Cash in on everyone who goes for a drink in town before the game?

Yeah like brentford who own the pubs on all four corners of the ground...winner

Guest union owl

Everyone bangs on about getting to the ground early and spending money in there...

Why not buy a bar in Hillsborough or town? Cash in on everyone who goes for a drink in town before the game?

good idea would go for that

What was the bar/club that used to be on the corner of the south stand/kop before they cleared the area to extend the car park, I remember during the 80's going in there prior to the match.

Can anyone remember ?

Cheers

UTO's

i think it was called 'stands' used to go in there before games,quite big with a few pool tables in, if memory is correct,great atmosphere.

i think it was called 'stands' used to go in there before games,quite big with a few pool tables in, if memory is correct,great atmosphere.

It was the legendary Ozzie Owl club first...and had strippers and blue comedians before the matches..i can see this going down a treat today :biggrin:

Edited by daveyboy66

was that the place where they had the yard of ale contest and the same lad used to win every time,he could neck it in about 10 seconds.

It would make money for 23 afternoons per year. For the rest of the year it would lose customers to Weatherspoons, and be a sitting target for any random foot dragging Unitedite. Furthermore just drive for an hour in Sheffield, and count the number of boarded up pubs.

A good idea in principle, but our efforts would be better directed towards improving the facilities at Hillsborough, and just building one big fluffy cloud off bar, Sky Sports, Ladbrokes, Burgers and Chips and DVDs playing of old Wednesday matches.

Guest bob the builder

I have been going on about the very same thing to my mates since christmas.

Most other "big" clubs have Club partnership or themed bars in the town or near the ground.

Think "shearers bar" in Newcastle etc.

However I wouldnt go near the city centre for the risk of trouble agro atc is way too high.

I would however Snap up the GATE at wadlesy bridge which must be going cheap as chips at the mo as its been boared up for a good 6mths or so. Its close to the ground ( One of nearest pubs to ground -has ample car parking & or potential to extend premises if succes of venture warranted in years to come)

if I were SWFC would investigate the following:

- Partnership venture with Wednesdayite This would also help cement the public image of the club & fans working in partnership. Any one should be able to use the pub not just wednesdayite members - SWFC Pub would help bring the club & wednesdayite closer to majority of fans 7 days a week & offer a venue that catered for footy fanatics even when there isnt a game & in the close season etc. Hopefully helping to burry the painful memories of the past few years. ( Also Solves ongoing problem of venue for pre/post match wednesdayite lounge)

- SWFC/WEdnesdayite OPERATIONAL partnership with a regional Pub co. This would take the operational headaches of running a pub / new venture away from SWFC/wednesdayite. i.e let the pub co put an experienced manager & his team in to run it & profit share. Pub co would prob be willing into venture as the pub re-vamp/launch would almost be a guaranteed success.

- SWFC/Wednesdayite profits to be ploughed directly back into the clubs academy - therefore fans would be contributing to long term future of clubs youth system.

Edited by bob the builder