Mike Pickering?

I was in a box with him a couple of years ago at Hillsborough when he was a rep for Coors brewery.

Nice bloke.

Was skipper v Pigs - Boxing Day Massacre

bolder

blackhall / smith / pickering © / grant

the defence on that wonderful day 29 years ago!!!!

Edited by brian joicey

sorry charlie williamson played left back that day,grant was injured.

My memory is starting to fade, but I think it may have been Williamson's debut.

I remember Mike Pickering, I liked him a lot, he was in the mould of Mike Lyons/Nigel Pearson.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Pickering commented on the wall of sound which hit him as he led the players out. Looking at the video now, it really could have been more than 4, one cleared off the line at 0-0, then hit the bar twice. I know Blades fans accuse us of living in the past but that day was very special in the history of SWFC. First time we'd been as low as that, United were racing away at the top, Boxing Day, 11am kick off, no buses, biggest third division crowd ever (even now), spine tingling atmosphere, World Cup winner in charge, bunch of rejects on the pitch while United had massive money signing Sabella. Pickering was a traditional old centre half who'd never quite made it, always gave everything.

Pickering commented on the wall of sound which hit him as he led the players out. Looking at the video now, it really could have been more than 4, one cleared off the line at 0-0, then hit the bar twice. I know Blades fans accuse us of living in the past but that day was very special in the history of SWFC. First time we'd been as low as that, United were racing away at the top, Boxing Day, 11am kick off, no buses, biggest third division crowd ever (even now), spine tingling atmosphere, World Cup winner in charge, bunch of rejects on the pitch while United had massive money signing Sabella. Pickering was a traditional old centre half who'd never quite made it, always gave everything.

Great great day - still ranks as my best supporting Wednesday

Somehow the memory of it never fades, it was THAT special

Posted Image

Oops Sorry

BIGGER version :biggrin:

That's a rather disturbing head to body size ratio there......

I LOVED that defence - preferred it with Granty in it but Banno's twin was an adequate deputy

Ray Blackhall's shooting - legendary.....

Pickering - decent player - wholehearted and committed - despite his tiny body and gigantic head.....

Great great day - still ranks as my best supporting Wednesday

Somehow the memory of it never fades, it was THAT special

Yes. But it's a throw up for me between that day and the replays v Arsenal at Filbert street in the legendary FA cup replays. Both gave me more adrenaline than 91 and that is saying something.