Make Hillsborough smaller

Guest Air Biscuit

Guest Air Biscuit

….. is the tongue in cheek answer I’ve heard a few times when asking how we can fill the ground. But its actually a very sensible answer.

A full(er) ground isn’t just better for the coffers – it improves the atmosphere massively – how often have you been to the match and struggled to get a song going when you’ve got empty seats around you? I’m sick of seeing Hillsborough when on the tv where it almost looks like there’s no one there. The club can and should do something about it. Better atmosphere = more intimidating for opposition players = more inspiring for the Wednesday players. This is the simplest way of us, the fans, having a direct impact on the team’s performance. And make no mistake, Hillsborough is a cracking atmosphere when it gets going.

Ticket incentives, better performances will obviously put some bums on seats, but we are only talking about getting up to 20-25k crowds at best. The ground still feels empty and the atmosphere will only be marginally better. It’s the way the crowd is distributed around the ground which should be looked at. A 25k crowd in a 30k capacity ground obviously looks a lot fuller than in a 40k ground. So, conveniently ignoring for the moment the difficulties of getting some season ticket holders to move from their current seats:

First thing would be to close completely the top tier of the South Stand. This seemed to be built purely to give Dave Richards a ground capable of hosting big cup ties. Very nice for him to impress his FA mates I’m sure, a bit of extra revenue for the club maybe, but a complete waste of money when we were unable to fill the ground before the addition of these 3k or so seats. All its done is pull more of our dwindling crowds away from the pitch side areas – they might as well be at home for all the atmosphere it creates. This would also save on stewarding costs. Obviously it can be reopened as an overspill area if a big game required it.

Next is the Leppings Lane end. Sell the lower tier first to away fans. Then use the upper tier as the overspill on bigger away followings. This will make this end look fuller (especially on tv) but will also improve the atmosphere with away fans nearer to our fans, creating better banter. Would probably also save on some stewarding costs. The (condemned?) corner section could be walled in or even just covered over to block out these permanently empty seats.

In addition to this we should offer cheaper tickets to sit in the more ‘peripheral’ areas of the south and north stands, i.e. the bottom corners. This again gets more fans pitch side and improves the atmosphere.

The above changes are simple, would cost nothing (should in fact save us money) and the atmosphere is bound to be better with a ground that looks and feels fuller.

Or a better idea. Take the United method. Kick out the numpties running your club, slash the prices and bring in the crowds on cheap tickets.

United get slagged off for the cheap tickets but people in the ground spend money on merchandise, food and drink, programmes, and create a better atmosphere.

Bash is right. Hillsborough, when full, is one of the most atmospheric grounds in the country. It's the job of the board to bring in the crowds and make sure it's full. It's down to the lack of initative and ideas from the boardroom why Hillsborough is so empty at the moment.

Edited by sheffield_dave

Guest christheowl

Both Sheffield grounds when full are passionate, atmospheric places.

The Sheffield Derbys are a very special Atmosphere, I dont think they could be beaten if either of us was 2-0 up against AC Milan at home :biggrin:

Its the only time in your life you will jump up and down while hugging a complete stranger. Its also the only time the old couple infront of me look alive :biggrin:

Edited by christheowl

First thing would be to close completely the top tier of the South Stand. This seemed to be built purely to give Dave Richards a ground capable of hosting big cup ties. Very nice for him to impress his FA mates I’m sure, a bit of extra revenue for the club maybe, but a complete waste of money when we were unable to fill the ground before the addition of these 3k or so seats. All its done is pull more of our dwindling crowds away from the pitch side areas – they might as well be at home for all the atmosphere it creates. This would also save on stewarding costs. Obviously it can be reopened as an overspill area if a big game required it.

The renovation of the South Stand was for the Euro '96 tournament and without it Hillsborough would not have been able to host games as this building work also created the Executive / Corporate Facilities which bring in much needed funds today and the Upper Tier is now a family stand where people can take their kids without hearing someone F****** and B****** every other word when shouting their disgust at the teams performances.

Also, extra press facilities where built in which were needed for Euro '96.

Guest Foot 04

Or a better idea. Take the United method. Kick out the numpties running your club, slash the prices and bring in the crowds on cheap tickets.

United get slagged off for the cheap tickets but people in the ground spend money on merchandise, food and drink, programmes, and create a better atmosphere.

"United. clapclapclap.United clapclapclap

United do this on the back of the ridiculous parachute payments they're getting, for two seasons, after being relegated. When reality kicks in next season, after yet another failure by United to get promoted, you can guarantee that they'll not be giving seats away every other week, and fans are going to have to pay more for watching second tier football at the lane. We'll see then what their attendances fall to.

Both Sheffield grounds when full are passionate, atmospheric places.

I've always found piggy lane to be much more intimidating than Hillsborough. That's probably partly because you don't give us many tickets, but you can be a vicious lot also. I remember walking across london road, across from the Hermitage, near the old Tiffany's in 1980. For no reason a load of Piggy's came running out of the pub and set about us. I don't know why, we didn't have any colours on, I can only think that someone knew who we were. It was really scarey, I was 21 at the time and going to the game with my stepdad, there must have been 30 or 40 people chasing us, there were other people being chased too, but I don't think they were wearing colours either. I really thought we were going to get beat up, fortunately we managed to escape with just a few bumps and bruises.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

….. is the tongue in cheek answer I’ve heard a few times when asking how we can fill the ground. But its actually a very sensible answer.

A full(er) ground isn’t just better for the coffers – it improves the atmosphere massively – how often have you been to the match and struggled to get a song going when you’ve got empty seats around you? I’m sick of seeing Hillsborough when on the tv where it almost looks like there’s no one there. The club can and should do something about it. Better atmosphere = more intimidating for opposition players = more inspiring for the Wednesday players. This is the simplest way of us, the fans, having a direct impact on the team’s performance. And make no mistake, Hillsborough is a cracking atmosphere when it gets going.

Ticket incentives, better performances will obviously put some bums on seats, but we are only talking about getting up to 20-25k crowds at best. The ground still feels empty and the atmosphere will only be marginally better. It’s the way the crowd is distributed around the ground which should be looked at. A 25k crowd in a 30k capacity ground obviously looks a lot fuller than in a 40k ground. So, conveniently ignoring for the moment the difficulties of getting some season ticket holders to move from their current seats:

Next is the Leppings Lane end. Sell the lower tier first to away fans. Then use the upper tier as the overspill on bigger away followings. This will make this end look fuller (especially on tv) but will also improve the atmosphere with away fans nearer to our fans, creating better banter. Would probably also save on some stewarding costs. The (condemned?) corner section could be walled in or even just covered over to block out these permanently empty seats.

In addition to this we should offer cheaper tickets to sit in the more ‘peripheral’ areas of the south and north stands, i.e. the bottom corners. This again gets more fans pitch side and improves the atmosphere.

The above changes are simple, would cost nothing (should in fact save us money) and the atmosphere is bound to be better with a ground that looks and feels fuller.

The renovation of the South Stand was for the Euro '96 tournament and without it Hillsborough would not have been able to host games as this building work also created the Executive / Corporate Facilities which bring in much needed funds today and the Upper Tier is now a family stand where people can take their kids without hearing someone F****** and B****** every other word when shouting their disgust at the teams performances.

Also, extra press facilities where built in which were needed for Euro '96.

Close the Grandstand? As Owl-Zat points out it is the family stand and is one of the fullest areas of the ground imo. Why not close the kop since noone seems bothered about sitting there these days? numpty.

Guest Air Biscuit

Close the Grandstand? As Owl-Zat points out it is the family stand and is one of the fullest areas of the ground imo. Why not close the kop since noone seems bothered about sitting there these days? numpty.

The thread was about improving the atmosphere by getting the crowd nearer pitchside. I don't disagree that the South upper is a fairly popular part of the ground. But wasn't the family area previously in the lower tier of the South Stand anyway. Why couldn't it be moved back?

Closing the Kop would really help would'nt it. But I respect your opinion Jimb and don't feel the need to name call.

The thread was about improving the atmosphere by getting the crowd nearer pitchside. I don't disagree that the South upper is a fairly popular part of the ground. But wasn't the family area previously in the lower tier of the South Stand anyway. Why couldn't it be moved back?

Closing the Kop would really help would'nt it. But I respect your opinion Jimb and don't feel the need to name call.

fine. i apologise for the numpty comment. perhaps i should have pointed out that you haven't thought this through in more uncertain terms.

the grandstand is well populated most weeks. It is also the ONLY area of the ground that requires you to be a season ticket holder or a member - there is

no pay on the gate. It is a totally separate stand from the rest of the south - you cannot get from one to the other.

Meanwhile the south stand 'lower' is the most expensive area of the ground - mainly due to the concourse facilities - the club (even this one!!) would be mad

shift the family seats there.

I sit in the grandstand and have no desire to see it close. It does have its faults - 100 steps up/down is a lot for kids/grandparents/fat gits like me, the

concourse is divided by heavy windowless fire doors that swing both ways - i've seen innumerable kids knocked on their backsides as well as at least

3 adults get smashed in the face. It's dangerous and i don't see why they are necessary - the main south stand concourse is completely open. Those

things plus the number of irresponsible parents (yesterday a bloke was openly letting his 7-9 year old daughter chug a bottle of smirnof ice :ohmy: and

every week the 3 blokes infront of us take their seats at 3.05, 20 minutes after their kids, then go to the bar on 35 minutes religiously, returning on 55

minutes. they consume 6 pints each minimum and leave the boys - all under 10 - unattended for about an hour every game) are a pity but are massively

outweighed by the lack of pissed teenage OCS hoolies, the double spaced rows and the best view in the ground.

Guest Tonto Salchicha

Why away supporters can't be sold the lower tier first is a complete joke, looking at various games today one row of stewards separate supporters.

I've always found piggy lane to be much more intimidating than Hillsborough. That's probably partly because you don't give us many tickets, but you can be a vicious lot also. I remember walking across london road, across from the Hermitage, near the old Tiffany's in 1980. For no reason a load of Piggy's came running out of the pub and set about us. I don't know why, we didn't have any colours on, I can only think that someone knew who we were. It was really scarey, I was 21 at the time and going to the game with my stepdad, there must have been 30 or 40 people chasing us, there were other people being chased too, but I don't think they were wearing colours either. I really thought we were going to get beat up, fortunately we managed to escape with just a few bumps and bruises.

Keep the Kop! It's the best stand by far! (and the cheapest!)If any ground needs making smaller, it has to be Elland Road. It's way to big for Leeds.

Guest BaRmY OwLs

Silly comment to make hillsborough smaller!I am proud of the ground we have like bash said it is simple what you have to do.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Hmm.Making it smaller will cost money. Which we don't have, even if we were rich enough to do something this crazy.If we ever get promoted to the Premiership, we'll then need a ground expansion- rebuild it back again, more cost.If the club did some more good ticket offers we'd be filling the currently wasted empty seats anyway.Apart from the above minor kinks, this seems like an excellent business strategy. I'll recommend it to the CEO right now. Now where's that ink and quill...?

Guest Ronaldo_1867

:biggrin: