Not from Sheffield - but the reason why I support Wednesday

General Studies isn't accepted for my course :sad: but I reckon I should be grateful because of some of the comments I wrote in the test about following football passionately (at the time of the World Cup mind) and also the fact I did an AS and A2 having attended 3 lessons :doh: :laugh:

I only dropped 7 marks at AS, so an A is very much on the cards for me there. and my college sacked off general studies lessons pretty much too. Pointless, there's not really anything you can learn for it.Glad I'm not the only one to be swayed by Sheffield as a choce of uni :blush: Wanted a season ticket, but couldn't really stretch my finances to get one. Will get to what I can, and have offers of floors at some unis from mates for the away games http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Guest NicktheOwl

I only dropped 7 marks at AS, so an A is very much on the cards for me there. and my college sacked off general studies lessons pretty much too. Pointless, there's not really anything you can learn for it.Glad I'm not the only one to be swayed by Sheffield as a choce of uni :blush: Wanted a season ticket, but couldn't really stretch my finances to get one. Will get to what I can, and have offers of floors at some unis from mates for the away games http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I got an A in the mock after 0 lessons so I definately appreicate your point that it's a piece of wee wee! Oh I wasn't swayed, Sheffield Uni was always going to be my favourite destination (I applied to Hallam as well cos didn't think Uni of Sheff would take me :laugh: ) I'm the same as you; ideally I would like a season ticket for the next three years (results pending obviously) but somehow I don't feel I will be able to so it means I spose I'll have to pick from the best of the games from the season like derbies, what a shame. Also hoping that when I open my student account I get a free 5 year railcard to allow me the option of away games (especially London, Barnsley and leeds). I have several mates hoping for London Uni's so floor space shouldn't be a problem there :clap2: Have you thought about who your going to matches with though Edvardo, you contemplate going on your own lol??

I got an A in the mock after 0 lessons so I definately appreicate your point that it's a piece of wee wee! Oh I wasn't swayed, Sheffield Uni was always going to be my favourite destination (I applied to Hallam as well cos didn't think Uni of Sheff would take me :laugh: ) I'm the same as you; ideally I would like a season ticket for the next three years (results pending obviously) but somehow I don't feel I will be able to so it means I spose I'll have to pick from the best of the games from the season like derbies, what a shame. Also hoping that when I open my student account I get a free 5 year railcard to allow me the option of away games (especially London, Barnsley and leeds). I have several mates hoping for London Uni's so floor space shouldn't be a problem there :clap2: Have you thought about who your going to matches with though Edvardo, you contemplate going on your own lol??

Yeah, I'm looking at the railcard option too. Will save me a packet with trvaelling to matches and coming home to see the bird.And for company to matches, I was actually hoping to find some fellow Owls at the uni to accompany me :biggrin: Wouldn't mind too much going alone, but you can't beat a bit of company. :clap2: There's always my cousin too, but he won't be going to them all either so there's a reet chance we wouldn't make the same ones.

Guest NicktheOwl

Yeah, I'm looking at the railcard option too. Will save me a packet with trvaelling to matches and coming home to see the bird.And for company to matches, I was actually hoping to find some fellow Owls at the uni to accompany me :biggrin: Wouldn't mind too much going alone, but you can't beat a bit of company. :clap2: There's always my cousin too, but he won't be going to them all either so there's a reet chance we wouldn't make the same ones.

Well it's reassuring to know there'll be at least one other Wednesday fan at Uni (if I make it :sad:). I got a cousin my own age up there as well who could be persuaded to a few matches I think from Chesterfield, as well as an uncle but both would be very, very occasionally :sad: .

Guest aylesburyowl

my story is simple, since age of five i had been going to watch my local non league team, in 1983 i went to sheffield university, decided to support the local team which happened to be wednesday, 24 years later ( despite living 140 miles away) go to every game home and away health permitting, my middle daughter with no link to sheffield has up until recently been accompanying me to the games, she cannot go at moment due to work commitments but hopefully next season she will be back at least at hillsborough, now remarried with stepsons who have all been with me to games,

for me it is simply wednesday til i die

Some amazing stories! I also haven't any ties with Sheffield, I was born and raised near Torquay. Then when I was 10 years old I started going to a few games. Now I never miss a home game and only miss 3 or 4 away games a year, but now easier as I live inbetween Nottingham and Grantham!

Guest weetoonowl

Rangers supporter from Campbeltown on the west coast of Scotland . No ties to Sheffield . Never had an english team when grown up but my favorite player was Chris Woods so when he moved to Wednesday i started to support the owls.

Guest OwlertonG

My reason...

well in 88 - 89 season Liverpool reigned supreme... and all my mates had the rushy (candy sponsered) fake shirt from the market... and the grey candy shirt with red and white flicks

i hated the fact that they followed the top team (very much like chelseas fans of late and Man U fans of old)

So i loved two clubs at the end of the 80's and start of the 90's but didnt pledge alliance to any one team .. the said two clubs were the Arsenal and Owls... so when the time came i knew i needed to pledge my love for one but never really had a catalyst to do it... UNTIL 1993 fa an league cup finals

I HATE TO CHOOSE... OH NO... WHY NOW WHY DOES AN 11 YEAR OLD BOY HAVE TO CHOOSE WHICH TEAM TO SUPPORT FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE ON SUCH A STRANGE CIRCUMSATNCE

well in 93 i figured OWLS would clean the floor with the Gooners i mean with the team : Chris Woods, Roland Nilsson, Nigel Worthington, Carlton Palmer, David Hirst (Scorer),

Viv Anderson (Captain), Chris Waddle, Paul Warhurst, Mark Bright, John Sheridan, John Harkes

Substitute Graham Hyde

Substitute Chris Bart-Williams

All of those players were playing the season of there lives... and some of the players earned legendary status either that year or before and around those years

OWLS FOR THE CUP... OWLS FOR THE REPLAY... We lost both... i didnt believe it was true

But here i am... still here... 3 relegations and 1 promotion later... 14 years later and 25 years old wearing my shirt with pride.. and wearing my wristband officially WEDNESDAY TILL I DIE

I'm another Owl who's never been to Hillsborough. My only excuse is that I was born and raised in the San Francisco area.

During the '93 season my Sheffield-born mate told me about the great things his team were doing. When Wednesday qualified for the FA cup final, his brother-in-law (also from Sheffield), who owned the pub we hung out in, opened early for the final. That meant 6am on a Saturday morning, and it was before cable made it easy to get footy over here. (Yeah, we came back for the replay on the Wednesday...)

Well, as someone once said, sometimes your team is the first lot of 11 you clap your eyes on. That's the way it's been for me. I haven't been to England since '90, but when I do go back I know one stop on the itinerary!

[sunDevil, we may be related. I have ancestors named Sheffield]

b.

Guest Kintana

from Cork in Ireland, though i live in Galway. no links at all with sheffield, but have been to 3 matches in the last year and had a great time meeting up with some people from owlsonline as well.

started to support wednesday the year they got relegated from the first division, was 89/90 season i think.

i remember i was just getting into football and i was looking at the league table and thought they have a great name, i think i will follow them.

the following season in division 2 wednesday seemed to win every week, so i was convinced i was following a great team (slightly oblivious to the fact the 2nd division is a lower standard!! ha ha).

God we had some top players in those days.

Guest MVFC_SWFC

Born and raised in melbourne (australia) was in england staying with mum's friend in sheffield and her son was a big owls fan. So while we were staying there he was watching a game so i decided to watch it with him and then when we left he gave me one of his owl shirts that was too small since then i have been a wednesday fan. But have only ever been a passive football fan untill a few years ago when the new australian league was started and i decided i'd give it a look, one game and i was hooked. As i've watched more and got more involved in football culture i got more intrested in the english leagues. I tried to support a team in the premiership so i could watch them every week but it just didn't feel right, the only team i ever really cared about was sheffield so now i'm back supporting them again

my story

living in huddersfield,i was always aware of wednesday but never took much notice of them, when me and my brother were 8ish we were taken to our first football match after being glued to spain 82, it was huddersfield town v preston in the old 3rd division. i must say we really enjoyed the atmosphere and the bovril and wagon wheels etc,my uncle had married into a wednesday family and bought us tickets for a wednesday match on new years day 1987.so not knowing what to expect we trudged along in anticipation,parked up and walked down leppings lane to the ground, i remember been absolutely awestruck by the size of the place and the 6 floodlights perched on top of the stands, so after spending our xmas money on the usual 80's club shop fayre we entered the north stand and again i was mesmerised by the sheer scale of the ground ( compared to huddersfield it was HUUUUGE) especially the kop.wedensday drew 1-1 gary shelton scored and that was it we were hooked.

we started going on our own regularly from huddersfield,and dragging what seemed like half the school! sometimes taking 3 hours to get to sheffield but it was a great adventure, paying our 5p on the football special from pond street to see the likes of david hirst,siggi jonsson,tony galvin,gary own et al and never looked back, had some great times and some not so great times,hope i will experience many more great times watching the wednesday!

Edited by huddsOWL

Guest trusty_left_peg

Born in Oxfordshire to a Manchester United supporting dad and a non-plussed about football mum, I somehow caught the football bug early on at the age of three thanks to the start of the Premier League and Euro '92. It was around about early '93 at the age of four that I started to root for Wednesday, I remember the two cup finals and the Wednesday - United semi-final, one of the football magazines gave away cards with the Wednesday players on like Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle and Harkes. My parents got me my first shirt (black and yellow away one) at the age of five and my first game was in April '95 against Everton when I was 6. Most people at primary school supported Manchester United and Liverpool and I often took a lot of stick for being a Wednesdayite, but then again I wasn't one for following the sheep mentality. My dad used to drive me and my mum up to about 8 or 9 matches a season in the early days and maybe an away trip to Coventry or Aston Villa. I was lucky enough to be able to see most of the big teams, such as Man United, Arsenal, Leeds, Everton and Newcastle in the earlier seasons, and a cup quarter-final against Wimbledon which for me was a real occasion. I remember in particular in 1998/1999 we beat Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool and I was fortunate enough to see all three.

I moved to secondary school just as we got relegated to Division One, but my new friends never mocked me for following the Owls - in fact some even adopted them as their second team. In a school full of Aston Villa, Spurs and Coventry fans most people felt the disappointment of underachievement, probably less so than I, particularly after we were relegated again. I began attending more home matches with my dad, about 11 or 12 a season at this point, and me changing schools at the end of year 11 coincided with the playoff final, a match that I feel fortunate enough to have attended. Whilst most of my peers were watching football on TV I was at Hillsborough or at grounds like the Country Ground or the National Hockey Stadium...or watching Wednesday stroll past non-league sides in the FA Cup. Bit of an eye-opener.

Switching schools for sixthform meant less travelling time, so me and my dad got season tickets, driving up for most home matches and two or three away games as well. Now I'm a first year student at Sheffield Uni, in a brilliant city with a brilliant football club. My dad still has his season ticket and is up most weekends and sometimes mum will turn up as well. Dad now considers himself to be a Wednesday supporter, in fact he probably gets even more emotional about the matches as I do. Supporting Wednesday has had its ups and downs, but I wouldn't change a thing whatsoever.

I'm in a similar boat as most of you lot.

I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada, born and raised. I've never been to england before, and have never been to hillsborough. Before we had cable TV, i used to go to my grandfathers house and watch the premier games on TV with him every weekend morning (kickoffs are usually at 11am atlantic canada time). The first game i remember watching was approx. 3 weeks into the 1997-98 season, we lost 7-2 to blackburn rovers. For a while i never really followed much football as i was only 7-8 years old at the time.

At that time Wednesday were in the Premiership. Whenever the man read out the name SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, I would sit there with a little grin on my face, as it sounded funny, you have to remember I was only what 6 or 7 at the time???/quote]

this was similar in my case.. because the next season i followed the EPL every week, watching with my grandfather. Ironicly the first game is saw in the 1998-99 season was a SW 0-1 loss to coventry (dion dublin scoring the winner.. i can remember carbone had a bycicle kick hit the crossbar). From then on i always remembered wednesday, and as i followed football week in week out i tracked wednesday's results etc. To this day i can remember almost every little detail of our last year in the premiership, our form, etc.

Here in Canada on cable TV usually we only get 2 EPL games a week, so rarely would i get a chance to watch wednesday play. After we were relegated (i balled myself to sleep that day) i never gave up and supported any other "famous" club that North American fans appreciate. To this day i never regret being a die-hard wednesdayite, and wear the blue and white on my back every matchday with pride.

For all you fans who live in sheffield and have an opporunity to watch our club week in week out, don't take it for granted. Chances are it'll be another 20 years before i get a chance to visit hillsborough, but for the rest of my life.. it is one of my main goals to accomplish. Wear the colours with honor, and never loose faith in us, there will always be greater tragities.

COMMON WEDNESDAY

COMMON WEDNESDAY

COMMON WEDNESDAY

up the owls.