Not from Sheffield - but the reason why I support Wednesday

Guest plankbob

I wasn't born in Sheffield, I was born in Lincoln hopsital and brought up in a village called Sturton le Steeple, Nottinghamshire.I moved to Sheffield for a bit in 2001, and worked at Farm Rd McDonalds, and on match days, I worked at Hillsborough McDonalds, and it was then that I started to think that Sheffield Wednesday were pretty cool.I met Paul in early 2003 and on our first date he took me to Hillsbourough, I can't remember who we played - oops! - and that was it, from then on I was hooked - on both - *pukes* - sorry guys xxThats about it really.

My first link with Sheffield was when my sister died at the Children's Hospital in 89. (sombre way to start your first post ain't it!) At the start of 92/93 my Dad was taking a relative from Australia to see a Wednesday v Ipswich game (1-1) and I went too. Enjoyed it, asked Dad to take me again and saw us beat Everton. It gave me and my Dad something to talk about for the first time and I've stuck with them ever since.Hello Owls-talkers btw! :bigemo_harabe_net-100:

My first link with Sheffield was when my sister died at the Children's Hospital in 89. (sombre way to start your first post ain't it!) At the start of 92/93 my Dad was taking a relative from Australia to see a Wednesday v Ipswich game (1-1) and I went too. Enjoyed it, asked Dad to take me again and saw us beat Everton. It gave me and my Dad something to talk about for the first time and I've stuck with them ever since.Hello Owls-talkers btw! :bigemo_harabe_net-100:

Really awful way to be introduced to Sheffield. It must have been hell for you. Good that you and your Dad found some common ground, has that continued? Where are you from, live now?

Really awful way to be introduced to Sheffield. It must have been hell for you. Good that you and your Dad found some common ground, has that continued?

Where are you from, live now?

Realised I forgot to put where I actually lived last night! I was born in Lincolnshire, moved to Newark in Notts where I started supporting Wednesday and moved to Bath in November last year.

Guest SunDevil

Never been to Sheffield, and follow the team on the internet.The soccer around Phoenix, Arizona (where I live) is lousy, and my surname is Sheffield. Like most Americans, I tend to root for the underdog. So, the choice became Wednesday over United.Like others have said, its simple.

Guest moseley

I've never lived in Sheffield - I was born in Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire, lived in Trowbridge until I was 7 then moved to Reading. Notwithstanding the fact that Reading have just been promoted to the Prem, when I lived there the place just didn't seem to be a football town, so I never really got into football as a kid, much to my dad's disappointment as he has always loved the game. He was born and bred in Sheffield, started watching Wednesday when he was about 8 with my great uncle George (who died last year sadly, God rest his soul) and only really stopped when he married my mum and moved away to Wiltshire for work. I spent most of my life quite disconnected from football, but then went to do a Masters degree in Nottingham, lived in a house full of mad Forest fans, and got the bug. I suppose I felt like I had to try to hold my own, so I "picked up" football pretty quickly, out of necessity almost, but I surprised myself with how much I got into it. Of course, because SWFC was my dad's team, they became my team. I always remember, as a kid, the way I used to listen to the classified football results, to work out what kind of mood my dad would be in for the rest of the weekend - even though I didn't really understand football, I knew that dad would be upset if Wednesday lost, so it was better to leave him alone for a bit.I've now had a season ticket for five seasons, sitting with dad, and my uncle and cousin who live in Bents Green. I now live in Birmingham, and I try to get to pretty much every home game, although it's not always possible. I can't say that all my experiences with Wednesday have been fantastic over that time, but I love the matchday ritual of walking down Middlewood Road with my cousin Jack, talking football and every other subject under the sun. And when we win - it's the best, best feeling. So, completely to my dad's surprise, I'm hooked. I'm Wednesday 'til I die now and (most of the time) I love it.

Guest Infamouszigg

I've never lived in Sheffield - I was born in Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire, lived in Trowbridge until I was 7 then moved to Reading. Notwithstanding the fact that Reading have just been promoted to the Prem, when I lived there the place just didn't seem to be a football town, so I never really got into football as a kid, much to my dad's disappointment as he has always loved the game. He was born and bred in Sheffield, started watching Wednesday when he was about 8 with my great uncle George (who died last year sadly, God rest his soul) and only really stopped when he married my mum and moved away to Wiltshire for work. I spent most of my life quite disconnected from football, but then went to do a Masters degree in Nottingham, lived in a house full of mad Forest fans, and got the bug. I suppose I felt like I had to try to hold my own, so I "picked up" football pretty quickly, out of necessity almost, but I surprised myself with how much I got into it. Of course, because SWFC was my dad's team, they became my team. I always remember, as a kid, the way I used to listen to the classified football results, to work out what kind of mood my dad would be in for the rest of the weekend - even though I didn't really understand football, I knew that dad would be upset if Wednesday lost, so it was better to leave him alone for a bit.I've now had a season ticket for five seasons, sitting with dad, and my uncle and cousin who live in Bents Green. I now live in Birmingham, and I try to get to pretty much every home game, although it's not always possible. I can't say that all my experiences with Wednesday have been fantastic over that time, but I love the matchday ritual of walking down Middlewood Road with my cousin Jack, talking football and every other subject under the sun. And when we win - it's the best, best feeling. So, completely to my dad's surprise, I'm hooked. I'm Wednesday 'til I die now and (most of the time) I love it.

Like the story mate,Another member of the Midland Owls then!With the possibility of a few more midlands games next season, this fledgling group of Owls supporters would love for you to become a member and posible meet up for those games.CheersInfamous ZiggW.T.I.D.

Guest dgowl1970

Was born down south in Kent. Parents split up when I was about eight and my mum moved back up to Sheffield. I however carried on living with my dad in Kent. He passed away suddenly though when I was ten and I ended up moving up to Sheffield to start living with my mum.My step-dad in Sheffield was a massive Owls fan and had an old shareholder ticket which meant I got in free as a kid. Well I was hooked and we use to go to every home match and a few away.I carried on going up until when I was about 22 when I ended up moving down to London. Down there I met a girl from Burton on Trent who I ended up marrying and I've been in Burton for about 10 years now. Since moving away from Sheffield unfortunately I've not made that many matches but still following the Owls with a passion that you never lose.A couple of years ago my step-dad passed away after battling against cancer. The play-off final was a year on to the day since he passed away. If he had been alive then no doubt we'd have gone down together.What an amazing day that was, from just getting the ticket, to getting down there and first meeting some Midlands Owls, to the result and the amazing atmosphere and the extra sigificance of the day to me personally. Probably the best ever day I've had in 20 years of following the Owls.Hoping there's gonnna be more special days following the team and hoping to start getting to more games.Up the Owls forever!Dave

Guest boxingman2

ok,,wen i was a kid i was brought up by my foster mum,,who i class as my real mum,,,she was a rock,,,i was born in bradford and lived there well into my 20,s.she was from sheffield and when we visited the steel city we always went past the owls ground ,at night it shined with the neon lights of sheffield wednesday,,i always wanted to go to a game i felt.when mum visited sheffield without me she brought me back a nice owls top,i always used to wear it ,,the old style bukta one,,home.as i got older i went to my first games,in 82,,purchased the away kit,,,i always wore that then.i started to go to lots of games as i grew up,,regularly travelling to sheffield on public transport from my home town of bradford.im not from sheffield but have lots of passion and desire for our club as im wednesday through and through.thanks mum.

Guest Allya3

When I was a kid I didn't like football much...but that all changed when I watched my first ever footy match in Italia 90 - England v Cameroon and I was hooked... but my obsession with Wednesday started when Chris Waddle signed and I've never looked back !my whole family is from Chelsea....think i'm like the black sheep now !! :biggrin:

Guest mugfret

Well, mugfret only supports SW cos ths lovely girl he works with is also a fan. I think that's a good enough reason.Mugfret

My story... http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I'm from Liverpool. My mum was and Everton fan, as was my brother, and my other siblings were Liverpool fans. My dad was a Sheff Wed fan. Yet in my youth, for reasons I can only speculate in the form of glory supporting, I chose to support ManUre. I can only imagine the horror that went through my families mind (my extended family are all scouse fans too...) but they never really tried to sway me from my decision. And so I happily went on for a few years, going to the odd game my neighbours took me to.

But then my dad took me to a Sheff Wed game. At home to, I think Southampton. An insanely dull 0-0 draw, but I'd had a much better time than any Utd game. So I came to more and more matches. I began becoming obsessed with them. And I began losing interest in ManUre. Eventually, I gave up everything to do with them, and permanently switched my allegiances to The Owls. Now, I've never been a fan of changing allegiances, always thinking yo should stick to the team you choose whatever. But I was young and naive when I chose Utd. They were the best club, and I chose them. I had no connections whatsoever to them, and consequently as I grew older, I grew bored of them. And the fact I switched when Utd were ontop of their game and Wednesday were (are?) not...I can make an exception to my view... :D

Best decision I've made. A gradual change, over a few years, but I now have an interest in football again, and support a club who I love from a city I've always wanted to live in. And to top it off...I really don't like Utd any more :D

Guest NicktheOwl

My story to how I achieved enlightenment (following Wednesday);Born in Plymouth, bred in Dorset (meaning I've only ever been able to make 5 or 6 games a season, especaially the away days of Bournemouth, PLymouth, Southampton etc in the last few seasons) yet am as devouted an Owl as you ever will meet. Like Sam and many others who have described their situation I followed Wednesday since about the age of 7 or 8 and like the others have been abused for it (probably rightyfully so lol) by scores of part time Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea fans etc etc but there are quite a few Owls I am mates with/am aware of in the area. My Wednesday shirt((s)(always make sure I have at least one a season to represent my allegiance visibily darn sarf) have always been warn proudly. My reason for supporting Wednesday above other clubs is a little more obvious than some of the other stories mentioned;close (dad) and extended (uncles, grandad's etc) family are all Wednesdayites who originate from Sheffield, at the moment though living predominantly in Chesterfield and Dronfield. This does not mean to say however that Wednesday were an obvious choice; whilst my dad is a fan and in his youth attended many matches whilst living in Sheffield with season tickets etc his interest in Wednesday was very vague at the time I came to be interested in football. Yet Wednesday just seemed a natural choice, one which, if I could choose another team, I would choose Wednesday again. Anyways my support for Wednesday has seen me take an act of devotion by rejecting the prestigious LSE university for the University of Sheffield (never really a hard choice) and God willing on Thursday morning I will find out whether or not I will be able finally to move to Sheffield and watch Wednesday on a far more regular basis at my discretion(but severely restricted by the finances of a student!!) something which will be a luxury for me and also something I feel many Wednesdayites take for granted. Forever WednesdayNickP.S Am interested to know if any Owls on here attend or may be attending the University of Sheffield??

Guest NicktheOwl

Yar, I am. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif To do chemistry, grades pending, of course, but they are comfotably within my reach, so bar a complete disaster, I will be there. What you doing there?

Geography, being honest University was never a definate for me but when I realised I had the choice of either Uni or a full time job there was never really a choice! :laugh: What grades you need Edvardo if you don't mind me asking? I got to get BBB which is achievable but I'm taking an extremely negative stance at the mo!. 2 days...I'm dreading it!

Guest cheekymonkey

Geography, being honest University was never a definate for me but when I realised I had the choice of either Uni or a full time job there was never really a choice! :laugh: What grades you need Edvardo if you don't mind me asking? I got to get BBB which is achievable but I'm taking an extremely negative stance at the mo!. 2 days...I'm dreading it!

good luck with the results mate great storyup the owls

BBC for me, and I was chuffed to find general studies was accepted too. I'm taking a pretty darn positive stance...which could well backfire on me if I were to bomb out on anything :blush:

Guest NicktheOwl

good luck with the results mate great storyup the owls

Cheers cheekymonkey, greatly appreciated. Think I am going to need more than luck though :sad: Prayers would be greatly appreciated, please send to; God, Heaven, Up North :laugh:

BBC for me, and I was chuffed to find general studies was accepted too. I'm taking a pretty darn positive stance...which could well backfire on me if I were to bomb out on anything :blush:

General Studies isn't accepted for my course :sad: but I reckon I should be grateful because of some of the comments I wrote in the test about following football passionately (at the time of the World Cup mind) and also the fact I did an AS and A2 having attended 3 lessons :doh: :laugh: