Not from Sheffield - but the reason why I support Wednesday

I have not one connection to do with Sheffield, Yorkshire or to be fair anywhere up north. Infact I am a Londoner born & bred.BUT...When I was about 6 or 7, I never used to like football, infact I hated it so much, I used to make my dad switch over to some cartoons whenever he had the footy on. That really annoyed him as you could imagine, but with a little help from my mum, in the end, as I so often do, I got my own way. Kids eh?Anyway, whenever the news channel was on, and they would go to the sport and announce all the football scores, for some reason I would sit there in silence listening to the guy reading out all the results. At that time Wednesday were in the Premiership. Whenever the man read out the name SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, I would sit there with a little grin on my face, as it sounded funny, you have to remember I was only what 6 or 7 at the time??? Each week, I used to always look out for that name, Sheffield Wednesday. Every week, the guy would say Arsenal 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Wednesday 1-4, Newcastle 2-0 Sheffield Wednesday, and so on, although thats probably at bit OTT as we werent that bad back then, but the name SW really made me chuckle. I got more and more into it, it came to a point where I would watch the whole news every week, just to make sure I wouldnt miss the results. One day, I then decided to make my mum buy me the Merlin Premiership sticker album, so I could learn all the Wednesday squad. I remember Andy Booths name sticking out the most, and I remember being chuffed to bits when I got his picture sticker. I carried on looking out for their results, and kept on collecting the stickers, and I started to get more into it, that when I was about 10, I made my dad take me to my first Owls game, a visit to sunny Upton Park, to see us beat them 2-1??? I think, cant remember exactly, but I think that was the score. It was such a special occasion for me, had never been to a football match prior to that. From then onwards, I started to get even more into supporting the Owls and more into it and even more into it, until my parents brought me my first Wednesday shirt from Christmas that year, born and bred in London you could imagine all the abuse I got from Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal fans etc......... I wasnt to be detered though, and kept on wearing my blue and white owls kit every thursday for football training. I'm one of those type of people, that doesnt care what others think, which is good to a certain extent. As time moved on, Wednesday became a massive part of my life, and although I annoyed my parents, by asking to go to this game and that game, I knew it wasnt possible, as London to Sheffield is around 200 miles away, and with my dad supporting Chelsea, he was never going to be willing to take me to that many games, although he did his best, and took me to maybe 8 or 9 a season, all the london away games and a few home encounters too, which I thank him for, because how many fathers would do that for their son, when they dont really like football themselves? You have to take in the cost too, petrol money, staying over money, match tickets, food, drink, match programme etc.......... so it wasnt easy!However that has all changed this year, I was urged to join 'The London Owls' who go to every game, and although I cant make everyone due to college commitments and money, I do my best and have already made 7 games this season with the LO and my 8th one is coming up next week against Hull. I am mad on Wednesday now, its a disease but a good one, If I had it my own way, id attend every game, but it isnt possible at the moment. The London Owls are absolutly brilliant, not only is it a way of going to see my beloved Owls, but I have made some Wednesday mates out of it, who go regular, so its pretty good to be honest. Best decision I ever made!!Anyway just to finish off, the play-off final last season, has got to be my best Wednesday moment, 41,000 Owls all singing "Who needs Mourinho?-weve got Paul Sturrocko"! just made the hairs on my back stand up, and again, I have my dad to thank for taking me, as at that time, I was unaware of the London Owls. It was bloody amazing :bigemo_harabe_net-139: So there you have it - the story on how I became an Owl. Lets hope for a nice win at the lane tomorrow, and maybe, just maybe we can shut those pigs up once and for allSam

Guest Pickle66

Great to read your story Sam......I have to ask though, did your dad get caught up in the delights of Cardiff or not??I remember a certain match at Chelsea - December 6th 1991 ask him what the score was lol.

Guest Infamouszigg

I have not one connection to do with Sheffield, Yorkshire or to be fair anywhere up north. Infact I am a Londoner born & bred.BUT...When I was about 6 or 7, I never used to like football, infact I hated it so much, I used to make my dad switch over to some cartoons whenever he had the footy on. That really annoyed him as you could imagine, but with a little help from my mum, in the end, as I so often do, I got my own way. Kids eh?Anyway, whenever the news channel was on, and they would go to the sport and announce all the football scores, for some reason I would sit there in silence listening to the guy reading out all the results. At that time Wednesday were in the Premiership. Whenever the man read out the name SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, I would sit there with a little grin on my face, as it sounded funny, you have to remember I was only what 6 or 7 at the time??? Each week, I used to always look out for that name, Sheffield Wednesday. Every week, the guy would say Arsenal 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Wednesday 1-4, Newcastle 2-0 Sheffield Wednesday, and so on, although thats probably at bit OTT as we werent that bad back then, but the name SW really made me chuckle. I got more and more into it, it came to a point where I would watch the whole news every week, just to make sure I wouldnt miss the results. One day, I then decided to make my mum buy me the Merlin Premiership sticker album, so I could learn all the Wednesday squad. I remember Andy Booths name sticking out the most, and I remember being chuffed to bits when I got his picture sticker. I carried on looking out for their results, and kept on collecting the stickers, and I started to get more into it, that when I was about 10, I made my dad take me to my first Owls game, a visit to sunny Upton Park, to see us beat them 2-1??? I think, cant remember exactly, but I think that was the score. It was such a special occasion for me, had never been to a football match prior to that. From then onwards, I started to get even more into supporting the Owls and more into it and even more into it, until my parents brought me my first Wednesday shirt from Christmas that year, born and bred in London you could imagine all the abuse I got from Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal fans etc......... I wasnt to be detered though, and kept on wearing my blue and white owls kit every thursday for football training. I'm one of those type of people, that doesnt care what others think, which is good to a certain extent. As time moved on, Wednesday became a massive part of my life, and although I annoyed my parents, by asking to go to this game and that game, I knew it wasnt possible, as London to Sheffield is around 200 miles away, and with my dad supporting Chelsea, he was never going to be willing to take me to that many games, although he did his best, and took me to maybe 8 or 9 a season, all the london away games and a few home encounters too, which I thank him for, because how many fathers would do that for their son, when they dont really like football themselves? You have to take in the cost too, petrol money, staying over money, match tickets, food, drink, match programme etc.......... so it wasnt easy!However that has all changed this year, I was urged to join 'The London Owls' who go to every game, and although I cant make everyone due to college commitments and money, I do my best and have already made 7 games this season with the LO and my 8th one is coming up next week against Hull. I am mad on Wednesday now, its a disease but a good one, If I had it my own way, id attend every game, but it isnt possible at the moment. The London Owls are absolutly brilliant, not only is it a way of going to see my beloved Owls, but I have made some Wednesday mates out of it, who go regular, so its pretty good to be honest. Best decision I ever made!!Anyway just to finish off, the play-off final last season, has got to be my best Wednesday moment, 41,000 Owls all singing "Who needs Mourinho?-weve got Paul Sturrocko"! just made the hairs on my back stand up, and again, I have my dad to thank for taking me, as at that time, I was unaware of the London Owls. It was bloody amazing :bigemo_harabe_net-139: So there you have it - the story on how I became an Owl. Lets hope for a nice win at the lane tomorrow, and maybe, just maybe we can shut those pigs up once and for allSam

It aint a disease mate is almost religious

Guest Infamouszigg

Born and bred south of the city in good old Dronfield town.Family were never into football as I grew up, but a change of next door neighbours when I was ten changed my life.1977/1978 season. Big Jack had taken charge and Wednesday were not fairing well when in the March of that year my new neighbours asked my parents if I'd be interested in going to a football match, being as I was always playing football they said yes and off I went for my first Hillsborough experience, a night match versus Tranmere.Being this was a totally new and different experience for me full of fear and wonder, it was a fantastic site walking up the stairs into the old South Stand to this vista of green grass under the flood lights. I was hooked even before a ball was kicked. Wednesday won (2-1?) and we only lost one more game all season away (Gillingham 1-0) till the end of the season.Even though my life has floated me into the East Midlands since '1990 its Sheffield 6, blue and white and Owls for me.

Guest ekaterinburg_owl

born and bred in bolton upon dearne moved to thurnscoe in 1966 and everyone who I became mates with was a wednesday fan, my dad wasn't into football. we had no money so i used to go to bolton station with my mates and we would get a platform ticket it used to cost 2d in old money then get off in sheffield walk to the ground and wait at the shareholders stand and eventually some one would take you in for free. and made the way home the same way with a platform ticket.things have changed much in the following years and been all over the uk to follow them I even came back from holliday in exmouth with the entire family wife and five kids to see us lose to cambridge in the league cup a few seasons ago, thats why I find it very difficult now while I am on holiday with the wife in russia, there is a five hour difference in time so I could notlisten to the wolves match as grand daughter was in bed and the pc is in her room :cry: bgut I will be listening to it tonight even though we are having the extended family around for the big new years eve party I will be sat glued to the pc and listening to the match. and I cant wait until we get home on the 13th because were at home the next day yippee

Guest olduskeefus

You are a true hero Sam. Some of the Sheffield born and bred Owls could take a leaf from your book the next time they are wingeing.I can just imagine you walking around London in your Owls shirt.God BlessKeith

Guest Dave_Owl

K-uglenDo you remember chatting to a couple of Wednesday fans in the Prince of Wales pub in Cardiff. I was there with southern fairy, and we got chatting to a Danish Wednesdayite, who'd come over with his girlfriend for the game. Pretty sure it must be you!

What a brilliant story :ohmy: and touching in a kind of way!I was born in the Rotherham Shire, (Brinsworth) my first game was at the bramall lane v's Rotherham,........................... and that's how I became a Wednesdayite.I subsequently migrated to Australia 14 years later! Pretty simple really (I'm a simple kind of guy) I think! :yahoo:

I was in a similar situation. I live in Cardiff, when i was about 8 or 9, my brother had a game called sensible soccer! I remember playing as sheffield wednesday all the time because the name was funny! Eventually, i grew to love the star players on the game, which if i remember rightly were waddle, woods and hirst! ......And then you are hooked! Eventually i got my first wednesday shirt at christmas and made it to hillsborough in 1994 for the final game of the season against man city as a birthday present! We were 20 minutes late as my dad took a wrong turn at birmingham and we ended up near london! As we sat down in our seats, gordon watson popped up with the opener! The game ended 1-1, but the blades got relegated that day! The atmosphere was pretty good coming out of the ground! At the end of the game, we queued and queued to get into the old club shop, and waited around to get all the players autographs! We waited outside the players lounge, where somebody handed me an entry ticket! I was in dreamworld! Me and my whole family were in the players lounge chatting with all the players. I remember an embarrassing incident with john sheridan, where, my mum said that we were from cardiff and john sheridan said, 'oh we played down there a few years ago', and without any knowledge of what had gone on, my mum replied 'good goal'! I'm cringing at the thought! I remember meeting a wednesday fan when on holiday in Salou in 1997. He used to send me down a match programme every week! Before the joys of the internet!I was only ever able to make it to about 3 or 4 games each season, until i went to university in york, and then went to quite a few more! The playoff final in millennium stadium was brilliant as i go to all the wales games there, but to go with wednesday was fantastic (well worth the 5 hour queue at hillsborugh)! I've never seen the streets of cardiff so packed! I'm now back in cardiff and i've only been to a handful of games this year, but i'm hoping to make quite a few of the away games coming up, I hope to settle down a little closer to hillsborough when i go into teaching next year!Anyway, thats how my obsession began! I found your story very interesting sam. Keep your stories coming in!

Guest olduskeefus

Sam, your relationship with your father is indicative of all that is wrong with modern society.

Sam, your relationship with your father is indicative of all that is wrong with modern society.

Shut up George

Guest nathanfaraday@hotmail.com

My Dad is from Sheffield and as a boy he supported the Pigs. He switched to the wednesday after his dad got tickets for working on the build of the gym behind the North Stand. He moved down south, near Gatwick, before i was born. when i was young he took me to games but it wasn't until 1991 and i was old enough did we start to go more regularly. we would go to 20-25 games a season, home and away. we went to all the wembley games in 1991 and 1993, Now i have moved out of home and have a mortgage etc I cannot get to many games due to the cost, but i made sure i got the play off tickets, it was well worth the 3 hour queue on the phone. it was truly amazing and one noone that was there will ever forget it.

Much like Sam, i didn;t know any other Wednesdayites down here when at school so i received plenty of stick for it but i never cared, no team was better then mine in my eyes and i still hold on to the ideal that i'll see the wednesday lift the premiership trophy in my time.

Go on the Wednesday!!! :yahoo:

Guest couplal

I've been a Wednesday fan all my life.Born and bred in Sheffield - it's the only desirable choice.31 years old now and I moved to Liverpool when I was 24 with work and still live over in the North West.My First Child was born in 2004 - how do I ensure he's going to be a Wednesday fan and not a Toffee etc???So my son will grow up with the name Sam William Finn Coupland. SWFC. Guess he'll hate me in later life and have a lot to tell his counsellor....

Guest olduskeefus

I've been a Wednesday fan all my life.Born and bred in Sheffield - it's the only desirable choice.31 years old now and I moved to Liverpool when I was 24 with work and still live over in the North West.My First Child was born in 2004 - how do I ensure he's going to be a Wednesday fan and not a Toffee etc???So my son will grow up with the name Sam William Finn Coupland. SWFC. Guess he'll hate me in later life and have a lot to tell his counsellor....

The danger period for young Sam will be from around eight years old when he starts to take an interest in football to around twelve when it is unusual to change the club one has chosen to follow.Enrol him as a junior Owl, take him to some games if you can, teach him the Wednesday songs and of course buy him the shirt. His Scouser school mates will no doubt attempt to persuade him to defect. Or maybe you could have SWFC tattooed on his forhead. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Guest couplal

The danger period for young Sam will be from around eight years old when he starts to take an interest in football to around twelve when it is unusual to change the club one has chosen to follow.Enrol him as a junior Owl, take him to some games if you can, teach him the Wednesday songs and of course buy him the shirt. His Scouser school mates will no doubt attempt to persuade him to defect. Or maybe you could have SWFC tattooed on his forhead. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Good advice.1) Junior Owl Member - done that.2) Wednesday songs - he claps along already.3) Shirt - he has the last 3.4) Take him to a game - not sure about that one quite yet - probably wait til about 3/4.5) Tattoo - good idea, I'll book him in! :laugh: Edited by couplal

Guest olduskeefus

Good advice.1) Junior Owl Member - done that.2) Wednesday songs - he claps along already.3) Shirt - he has the last 3.4) Take him to a game - not sure about that one quite yet - probably wait til about 3/4.5) Tattoo - good idea, I'll book him in! :laugh:

Don't think you have to worry. Sam will follow the righteous path!