My view

Guest chris_owl

Guest chris_owl

I'm new on here, but having read some of the posts i expect to get shout out for what i'm about to write but its just my opinion.

Whether we stay up or not it would be in our best interest to move laws on. (by the way i think we will stay up).

The normal argument not to sack a manager is that a club needs stability and a new manager would take time to build his own squad. But the truth is, Laws is going to need time to build a squad, so we may as well get a good manager to do it.

At the final whistle of the norwich game, all five of our loan players will go back to there own clubs. Which means from last nights team we will have:

Grant (who laws bought, good signing IMO)

beevers, wood and spur (all at the club before laws) and Watson (would anyone mind losing him)

jonhson (good player on his day)

Burton (here before laws)

then you have the injured players of which its only sodje who would be a first choice and who laws bought.

My point is we do not have a team or squad at the moment. The end of this season would be a good time to start again. Particulary is we get taken over. That will be the time to pick a manager and stick with him for 3 or 4 years.

And if we are in the championship still, my choice would be Steve Clarke. I know he doesn't have massive experience as a manager but he has the respect of the chelsea players who must have big ego's so would handle our squad easily. Also anyone who has worked with Jose for 3 years must have picked something up.

What do you guys think?

Totally agree with ya mate.

Officially, at the final whistle against norwich, we won't have a central midfielder on our books (presuming Kenny Lunt is released.... which is highly likely).... how does that happen at a professional football club?

i suppose it's good for the club that 3 of our back 4 are academy products, but IMO this only strengthens the arguement against Laws's buying policy. He only tends to buy/loan has-beens such as Watson, Kavanagh, Wallwork, Jeffers (ON A £ F**Kin 3 YEAR CONTRACT!!!) - or waste of time players ie Clarke & Esejas & if i remember rightly, he kept Gilbert over Hills. There wasn't many players Sturrock brought in who had no impact was there?

In a nut-shell, Brian is a good bloke with his hands tied, but that makes it all the more important to get his selection of players right........ and he has not done that! I've said it many times - he is well and truly out of his depth at this level. IMO

shoestring budget and an injury list as long as your arm

the man has worked wonders

no more revolving door at S6

when will you people EVER learn

I'm sorry i thought these forums were about expressing opinion!

The fact remains that we're 2 points above relegation and it is a distinct possibility that we could go down (not that i think we will)

What are you saying, you'd rather keep a man who is not capable of pushing us for play off spots just because you are sick of the revolving door?

i'm as sick to death of it as you are, but we may just have an opportunity coming up if this take over happens, and we should make full use of it. And if that means bringing someone in who can choose players and steer clear of the type of player that landed us in this mess in the first place, then i'm all for it.

Guest NickTtheowl

I think we should just stick with him and hope for the best. Thats if we don't get the takeover. If we get the takeover then we need a full clean out of the squad. But at the moment we need to stick with him and try and get some consistancy. We should of stayed with Sturrock though. That would the wrong descision to sack him.

shoestring budget and an injury list as long as your arm

the man has worked wonders

no more revolving door at S6

when will you people EVER learn

i agree, but he has lost the fans support.

So i doubt he will stay

True mate, Steve Watson & Kav SHOULD be playing at a higher level (of performance) - but it is a sorry state of affairs when a reserve player comes in after loan spells at Mansfield and Bury (McAllister) - and wipes the floor with them both in terms of commitment and tenacity. These experienced players, even in our troubled times don't seem to be able to produce under pressure.

It's never straight forward down at hillsborough these days is it?

I think we should just stick with him and hope for the best. Thats if we don't get the takeover. If we get the takeover then we need a full clean out of the squad. But at the moment we need to stick with him and try and get some consistancy. We should of stayed with Sturrock though. That would the wrong descision to sack him.

I am sorry but this continues to baffle me! Stuurock had players like Bougherra, Brunt, Whelan, Maclean, Simek etc. We now know these players alone have a combined transfer value of between eight and twelve million quid but still Sturrock couldn't drag them out of the bottom three. The Colchester game was an abysmal performance after a number of sloppy performances. Macauley with absolutely no managerial experience took the same players further. Laws has had to sell most of them to balance the books with nothing in return but he still does no worse than Sturrock did with all of them!

I'm sorry i thought these forums were about expressing opinion!

It is, you have, as did I

I'm just so tired of the continuous call for the manager's head - look where it has got us!!

Who would we replace him with? A club on the verge of bankrupty for many years??

This is the same man who almost made the playoffs last year (miraculously)

Some people on here don't like his tactics, but put yourself in his place.

He has to cobble a team together each week, barely knowing himself how they are going to gel.

Give him a bit of slack, please.

Sacking Sturrock was stupidity beyond belief, sacking Laws would be equally daft.

Btw I'm assuming the megabucks deal will evaporate - who was it on here who said that 'all things that sound too good to be true - usually are'

It is, you have, as did I

I'm just so tired of the continuous call for the manager's head - look where it has got us!!

Who would we replace him with? A club on the verge of bankrupty for many years??

This is the same man who almost made the playoffs last year (miraculously)

Some people on here don't like his tactics, but put yourself in his place.

He has to cobble a team together each week, barely knowing himself how they are going to gel.

Give him a bit of slack, please.

Sacking Sturrock was stupidity beyond belief, sacking Laws would be equally daft.

Btw I'm assuming the megabucks deal will evaporate - who was it on here who said that 'all things that sound too good to be true - usually are'

As he will probably have to do on Monday. How many times has Laws been able to put out the same side consistently this season. I think at the last count we'd 11 first teamers injured. IMO we are in this predicament because we went into the season with a light weight squad and injuries have taken their toll. We got lucky with the likes of Mcallister they could easily have bombed and we'd already be down.

Guest chris_owl

One of the first things i read about laws when he took over was a scunny fan saying "laws is a good manager when things go well, because he doesn't chage anything, but when his team starts losing he can't or doesn't know how to turn it round"

This is very true. We went on a good run when he first got here. The we were rubbish for january and most of Feb before having a brilliant finish to the season.

This year we lost of first 6 and had a nightmare, then we improved and after we beat southampton 5-0 people were stating to talk of the play offs. Then once again we were rubbish again, and now we can't stop drawing.

Law doesn't appear to have the ability to change things. If we are winning, great, then confidence grows and we are find. But if we start losing, he can't motivate us to turn us round. I know he has injuries and financial issues but that makes his man management even more important.

Laws has worked wonders!

okay maybe discard jeffers but other than that he has made goos signings!

in my opinion he deserves a fresh start next season with us!

And maybe a few bob along the way!

Discard Jeffers, and his singings have been good??????????????

O.

K.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I like laws, but as a person, and maybe at Scunny he found his level..

BUT and only because of this BUTTTT... if we get the takeover and the funds we are talking about i.e. several million for players, then we need someone who can attract the right level of players to get us back to the prem and keep us there, I just don't think Laws has that sort of pulling power for players, unless they can really throw money about, but that doesn't always work in this division...

So a manager of some gravitas would be better IMO, and I say I like Laws!!!, maybe Big Sam would be ideal, he has shown he can get promoted and stay there and attract big name players!!

If we really are talking big investment and big money, we need a proven manager with experience that can attract big name players!!!!!

Brian has has done his best with the money available and with the ridiculous level of injuries that we continue to have...But really sorry Brian if the investment comes we need a manager more experienced at this level and with spending bigger bucks effectively..

I am dead against revolving door handling of managers BUTTTT this will be a very special circumstance...........

However the next change should be the last one for several years!!

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Guest Johnbloodaxe

If we survive i think Laws should be given a chance.

If we were continuing with a patched together board and no significant investment then I would agree BUTTT we need to spend any new investment very wisely and effcetively and I am worried that Lawsy simply doesn't have the experience or contacts at this level...

I feel really bad about it BUTTT we may only get one significant tranche of money for players until we get promoted and we can't afford to waste it, we need someone with experience of promotion at this level, it's simply one gamble too far with Laws, it was a gamble to bring him here in the first place with very little money, it would be even mor eof a gamble to let him loose with £20mm or so.

As he said recently Scunny have spent more this season then he did in ten years there, that's what worries me!!! No experince in signing the right BIG players... Just worried it's too much of a gamble!!

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Whats the alternative let him loose with £20mm then when we are mid table at Christmas sack him and bring in another manager when half the seasons gone and there are f'all players available!!!

I'm sorry but jeffers was simply to big a risk, it could have paid off, but we didn't have enough money available to gamble!!!

Clarke waste of money!!

Sodje OK!

Kav under performing!

Do we want a mixed bunch of new players in this vein??

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Guest Owl82

I think there have been many managers with no experiance getting out of this league.

But lets look at Jewell or Coppell of Reading.

They both got out of this division with money. They would have taken a lot longer otherwise.

Then the stoke manager has slowly built a team.

Its a big debate.......but i have no doubt if Laws was given money and got the right kind of player then we would be in the play offs.

You only have to look at the play offs points range this season to see its not as difficult as it may seem.

If we had won our last 6 games instead of draw them. We would be a win off the play offs.

Strange when you think of that right?

Edited by Owl82

One interesting name that never seems to get mentioned is Peter Reid. He's not exactly Mr Charisma but he has experience of this league and took Sunderland up with over 100 points and goals. He hasn't really been out of the game that long either and kept Sunderland up comfortably in their first season back in the Premiership.