Monthly Magazine

Basically a monthly magazine in a similar format to Celtic View etc.

Would sell well in local shops (especially mine being in Hillsborough) and I'm confident there would be demand both nationally (large contingent of Owls fans in London for example) and internationally (ex pats, armed forces etc).

I'm not suggesting that you would walk in to any old shop round the country and find a plentiful supply on the shelves, but I'm sure most Newsagents and many pubs in the area would consider stocking it (especially on a sale or return basis like most mags are).

I don't think it would be viable on a weekly basis, but Monthly allows plenty of time to produce newsworthy stories and features.

Possibly get supporters involvment for some of the features, in discussion groups or whatever they call them nowadays.

It would have to be good to survive. Most mags suffer these days from competition from the Internet.

As a Newsagent I'm quite aware of that, but that hasn't stopped Celtic, Rangers, Man Ure, Liverpool, Leeds and many more from continuing with their magazines.

I'm sure there would be enough demand, I've seen Leeds magazines in Sheffield newsagents before (1st thing I did was to remove it from my shop), I don't think it's too unrealistic to see an Owls one.

As a Newsagent I'm quite aware of that, but that hasn't stopped Celtic, Rangers, Man Ure, Liverpool, Leeds and many more from continuing with their magazines.

I'm sure there would be enough demand, I've seen Leeds magazines in Sheffield newsagents before (1st thing I did was to remove it from my shop), I don't think it's too unrealistic to see an Owls one.

I bow to your industry knowledge it just seems to me that there is that much free stuff on the net that I dont see the need and certainly no long term future demand for it ( It sounds a very 1970's thing a monthly magazine ). However ultimately anything that some fans want and that makes the club money is fine by me

I bow to your industry knowledge it just seems to me that there is that much free stuff on the net that I dont see the need and certainly no long term future demand for it ( It sounds a very 1970's thing a monthly magazine ). However ultimately anything that some fans want and that makes the club money is fine by me

All the big clubs have one - we currently have several 'shop-save' (basically magazines saved for customers to collect) customers who buy WEEKLY mags for Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic and Man Utd.

Like I say, weekly would be unrealistic (unless we sell thousands in Russia!) but monthly could well be a financially viable operation.

How much do these things sell for? It would have to be of a certain standard to actually sell, and would actually have to contain interesting things. I think that because our program is generally regarded as pretty good, it sort of negates the need for one? I imagine it wouldn't cost a great deal in terms of paying people to write for it, as it would be done in-house, and printing would be an extension of the program orders. Is £2 a viable price? Would people really pay that? I'd have to be convinced. I could see it as a kids thing mainly.

How much do these things sell for? It would have to be of a certain standard to actually sell, and would actually have to contain interesting things. I think that because our program is generally regarded as pretty good, it sort of negates the need for one? I imagine it wouldn't cost a great deal in terms of paying people to write for it, as it would be done in-house, and printing would be an extension of the program orders. Is £2 a viable price? Would people really pay that? I'd have to be convinced. I could see it as a kids thing mainly.

All the orders that we have are bought by/for adults - usual price between £2.50 & £4.00 (per week).

Wednesday used to have a monthly magazine which was given out at home matches and it was free. The first one was to celebrate promotion under Wilko and it went on for a while after that - not sure for how long though as I left Sheffield not long after.

I have the first issue (amongst others) framed in my pub.

Was back in Sheffield 18 months ago and went for a tour of the ground. The security chap who took us round couldn't remember the mag and said Wednesday had never given out a free magazine. Got back to SA and on my wall it says "Official Magazine of SWFC".