SWFC and the Music scene

I am no great fan of the Beatles but each album changed musically and politically thanks mostly to the late, great George Harrison.

Given the oppurtunity to creatively make music solo Lennon turned into a gob-poo and McCartney made the Frog Chorus.

If you want real talent you can't go wrong with Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys or Tommy by The Who.

..hahahahahahahaha...George Harrison!!!?....talented but not exactly the genius or political whiz you make him out. As for the complete guff about Lennon being a gob-poo may I simply refer you to 'Walls and Bridge' and 'Double Fantasy'. A song writer of such superior quality to Harrison that I'm finding it hard to even think of anything Harrison actual wrote!!

Pet Sounds...created by an individual with many more flaws and possible descriptions of being a gob-poo than Lennon could ever be accused of.

Tommy...couple of decent tracks on a flawed concept album. Quadraphenia was much. much better.

Back to the duscussion......the quality of the Arctic Monkeys is the same as that of the Beatles. The songs and lyrics are brilliant. Only time and the record buying public will decide what happens to them but if they were from Liverpool they would have been playing at either ground by now.....as were Oasis at Maine Road.

Moving this back on topic...

I can't see ANY reason why this hasn't been tried. Think about it - Oasis, being Man City fans, have played at City of Manchester Stadium, plenty of bands have played at both the football and cricket Old Trafford grounds, and so on...

Without debating how good they are in comparison to their predecessors... Arctic Monkeys are Wednesday fans, yes? Considering the current state of the clubs finances, I see no reason why they'd turn down only a small payment to play in front of 40,000 fans in the stands, plus plenty more on the pitch, with some other local Sheffield bands supporting on the bill. The projected income would easily pay for the upgrades in the PA system that are needed and would bring in huge amounts of cash. A profit even of £500k would (could?) go a LONG way.

I'm sure this has been suggested and thought of plenty of times before - but it should be something high on any decent commmercial directors list. An annual Sheffield showcase chosen by the Arctic Monkeys in the style of the one-day festival at Old Trafford Cricket Ground? Its the way forward. Get the players down there as well, introduced to fans in a VIP section and you've got a few more people at games too.

Haha you win, great work.

I nearly vomited after reading this...

'I'm doing India on my own.'

Its not about winning, its about perceptions. Glastonbury is now a by-word for 21st century pop culture, like Patrick Bateman trying to get a reservation at Dorcis'.

Personally I think its a viral marketing campaign for the new series of Skins.

Either way it is totally devoid of realism and intelligence.

More celebration of the chaotic and mediocre.

Its not about winning, its about perceptions. Glastonbury is now a by-word for 21st century pop culture, like Patrick Bateman trying to get a reservation at Dorcis'.

Personally I think its a viral marketing campaign for the new series of Skins.

Either way it is totally devoid of realism and intelligence.

More celebration of the chaotic and mediocre.

I meant you win the cliche challenge, not the debate.

I do think you're right to a certain extent, the festival is suffering from the overexposure it's given and this perpetuates into 'the hottest ticket in town' scenario you described. However, including artists etc, around 175,000 people go to Glastonbury. Surely you know better than lumping them all into the same category.

Oh and I think you're right about the Skins thing.

Edited by Sonny

I meant you win the cliche challenge, not the debate.

I do think you're right to a certain extent, the festival is suffering from the overexposure it's given and this perpetuates into 'the hottest ticket in town' scenario you described. However, including artists etc, around 175,000 people go to Glastonbury. Surely you know better than lumping them all into the same category.

WAGS

Hooligans

Asylum seekers

Students

The Police (the constabulary, not the band)

United fans

Farmers

Where would we be without stereotypes, generalisations and cliches?

i think having the artic monkeys at hillsborough would be an excellent idea. there a local band gone big and if u actually listen to their songs they sing alot about sheffield and its culture. they are proud to be from sheffield and im sure they would be interested in playin at Hillsborough. i dont no if it would ever happen but it sounds like a good idea

Guest zero)))

Rubbish. They are the no.1 band in the UK at the moment and anyone who has been to the US will tell you they are MASSIVE over there.

Just because they have not been touring/in the charts the past few months, doesn't mean they won't take over again in the summer.

The Arctic Monkeys are the ones everyone wants to see. There is simply nobody with the same power to sell tickets at the moment. They could play Glastonbury on their own and I would wager with anyone they would get c.60,000 there on their own.

I bet other bands around at the moment with they had as much "limited appeal" as the Monkeys do..

Oasis.

Oasis.

Oasis had the potential to be a World famous group but are steadily turning into Status Quo.

Trapped in the 90's, dedicated hardcore fan-base, stubborn to changing styles or adapting different formulas, inflated self importance.

They will always sell-out big stadiums and arenas. I like Oasis but they should have stayed on the blow and away from London.

They should give Noel more singing duties and get the Chemical Brothers to produce the next album.

Some of the impossibly stupid remarks about music on this thread are hard to fathom. If you have no idea what you're talking about, you can blag your way through a good many topics of conversation. Music is not one of them.

The Arctic Monkeys didn't reinvent the wheel but they definitely got the wheel back into the public domain when people were starting to move away from it to other more convenient, cheaper and less interesting forms of transport (analogy done to death, granted.) People forget very easily that any alternative music scene before the emergence of those guys was ridiculously polarised, cliquey, and unpopular.

They are single-handedly responsible for bringing a working-class edge back into music that had begun to disappear. Even Oasis' Don't Believe the Truth is a move away from the roots of their music that nobody expected. It wasn't selling and now it is, and the reason it's selling is because it's good. Favourite Worst Nightmare was always going to be a tough follow-up to Whatever People... but it managed success on somewhere near the same echelon and any industry expert will tell you they're nowhere close to falling off the music scene.

As someone said already though, it doesn't matter. You can debate their talent or their originality or their creativity until the f**king sun goes down but it will never detract from the point of this post which is that they're popular, as are Reverend..., as are Milburn. And it f**king would bring some revenue in. The problem is that attitudes to music are polarising too; more and half the world is apathetic towards it, and half the world can't get enough of it. With that being the situation, it makes more sense to try to sell commercial poo than anything objectively half-decent.

Some of the impossibly stupid remarks about music on this thread are hard to fathom. If you have no idea what you're talking about, you can blag your way through a good many topics of conversation. Music is not one of them.

The Arctic Monkeys didn't reinvent the wheel but they definitely got the wheel back into the public domain when people were starting to move away from it to other more convenient, cheaper and less interesting forms of transport (analogy done to death, granted.) People forget very easily that any alternative music scene before the emergence of those guys was ridiculously polarised, cliquey, and unpopular.

They are single-handedly responsible for bringing a working-class edge back into music that had begun to disappear. Even Oasis' Don't Believe the Truth is a move away from the roots of their music that nobody expected. It wasn't selling and now it is, and the reason it's selling is because it's good. Favourite Worst Nightmare was always going to be a tough follow-up to Whatever People... but it managed success on somewhere near the same echelon and any industry expert will tell you they're nowhere close to falling off the music scene.

As someone said already though, it doesn't matter. You can debate their talent or their originality or their creativity until the f**king sun goes down but it will never detract from the point of this post which is that they're popular, as are Reverend..., as are Milburn. And it f**king would bring some revenue in. The problem is that attitudes to music are polarising too; more and half the world is apathetic towards it, and half the world can't get enough of it. With that being the situation, it makes more sense to try to sell commercial poo than anything objectively half-decent.

Why wait 3 years to make your first post in a debate about music....very strange

Edited by swafty

Why wait 3 years to make your first post in a debate about music....very strange

I didn’t expect this thread to become the NME of fans' opinion. The fact is that we live at a time that three/four major nationally-respected young contemporary bands are indeed SWFC fans. That's not happened - certainly in my life time and SWFC should pull out all the stops to harness; even abuse it. Would they all do it - why not ask them? Oh - I forgot the staff at Hillsborough in PR and marketing - maybe not eh! Go on KW make one of your last acts a positive one. Do something for a change.

Guest Commander Vimes

Typical cynical music fan gauging popularity by sales and exposure. Oasis were a good band that sold out to the London scene and Blur were the kings of PR.

Headlining Glastonbury means nothing to nobody except the middle class simpletons who actually go. I like the Arctic Monkeys but they are of such limited talent and appeal they are destined to simply fall off the musical scale.

I could debate this at length, however I think the following sentence suffices:

"Wiseowl, you are a n0b, end of."