Matchday DVD's.

Guest oreillys

Guest oreillys

My only question is there some copyright restriction with the Championship deals done with Sky etc on this which may be restrictive to these sales? Or maybe it only comes into question when they are televising the game live?

If not they simply should get on with it.

That bit is sorted, don't worry about it!!

Guest oreillys

Raw footage - no problem with that

Season ticket dvd's - why is that an issue ? It's a route to market and a great way of selling the fookers

What's the point in producing them if you don't market them properly ?

If you just say "you can buy the game after the match - just hang about 30 minutes in the superstore" you're gonna be fooked cos everyone will be on the bus home or in the pub

If you say "here's a fantastic opportunity to buy a full season of the upcoming seasons games on dvd - pay online £100 now and you'll get them delivered or sent vouchers to collect them from the superstore at your leisure" you've sold a full seasons worth to someone

Offer a presentation box as an optional extra - you've got an upsell

I have to stress though that if the disks are burnt off at 20 speed on PCline blanks then you might as well go sit rubbing your groin in Hillsborough Park

As good as rubbing my groin in Hillsborough Park sounds then I can allay your fears. Ever heard of the ARS-2033S?

All your points are good fatty, I must admit. It is something the club will think about, Im sure http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

When Sheffield Wednesday muted the match DVD a few years ago and asked for idea's I e-mailed them with the suggestion of 5 quid per match if you subscribed to a full season and then a tenner to people who just wanted the odd game.

Needless to say I got no reply and they did what they wanted anyway, i.e made them on the cheapest DVD's they could find (you can't even fast forward or rewind the damn things without them freezing) and sold them for full price ripping us customers off as per usual !

I stopped buying them in the end because of the poor quality.

For a fiver a game i'd be interested if as Fattybear said, they were decent quality productions on a quality DVD.

Prob wouldn't bother with one tbh, bar the derbies, unless there was a particular classic. Would get a season one (one highlights one, not a subscription thing) if it was well done.

Not to say its a bad thing, should be looking to do all we can to maximise the money we bring in, but dunno if the demand would be there.

At least if they offered a season ticket there would be gauranteed sales (again I pointed this out when e-mailing SWFC previously).

If Wednesday lost say 3-0 at home then there would be zero sales for the match DVD but if you have 100 people committed to purchasing every one then you know you are going to sell 100 whether it's a good or crap match.

At least if they offered a season ticket there would be gauranteed sales (again I pointed this out when e-mailing SWFC previously).

I've put the DVD idea to Wednesday for years - since the Alan Sykes days

When I heard they were going to give it a go I was really excited and ready to spend the dosh

Then I saw them and the price they put them out at

Needless to say I just laughed out loud and fooked them off as just another great idea completely fooked up

Owlstalk Shop

I'd buy every single one if it was of good quality..

Got some friends who live abroad who are Wednesday fans, would be ace to send them copies of the game over.

As I expect the exiled Owls on here would like..

Nail, head and all that.

Living in Belgium and only getting to see 3/4 games a season(none this season due to daft things) I'd love something like this, especially the away games.

p.s. oreillys, can you do a 5 minute wander around the away grounds before the match..........it'd be good to see the different grounds.

I'd prefer the DivX downloads personally - so much more convenient than having hundreds of DVDs lying around the house. Don't think I'd bother with DVDs unless there was an absolute classic.

Plus with downloads there's no issues with either burning too many and wasting them, or running out after a good game. And the downloads would be more accessible to the overseas fans (which could end up as a big money spinner).

For the right price, and with legal action dropped, I'd be willing to take a season ticket for the downloads.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Downloads have got tobe the way to go very low costs and therefore could charge a few quid, you;d even be prepared to pay that even if we lost to see disputed penalities off sides etc.

But at £10 for a DVD you'd not be prepared to buy a lost game would you!!

I initially thought that downloads were the way to go..............then I remembered my computer illiteracy.

It really wouldn't be hard for them to make it easy to use.

Just as long as they don't start trying to put DRM into the files - if people want to get round it they will, but mostly it will just put people off because of the hassle of moving it to other computers/players.

Make em cheap and easy to use and people will buy them simply out of a desire to help their club.

I'd buy every single one if it was of good quality..

Got some friends who live abroad who are Wednesday fans, would be ace to send them copies of the game over.

As I expect the exiled Owls on here would like..

As a soon-to-be-overseas Owl, with the obvious proviso that the legal action is halted, a divx download-on-demand service would be all my Christmasses come at once. If there is a problem with the current media rights holders, get them on board and everyone can make a few bob out of giving the fans what they want. Isn't that how business is supposed to work?

The real market for these is amongst fans who live outside the Yorkshire area, or who have commitments, either in time or cash, which prevent regular attendance at Hillsborough or away.

I've got plenty of money to spend, which is just as well as my trip to see the 28 minutes against Coventry cost me over £100 and took up the whole of the Saturday, I couldnt afford to take my son to many games at that rate and I don't want to miss many Saturdays at home with him either.

When we were last in the top flight, research suggested our % fan base travelling to games from more than 50miles away was higher than Man Utd, I bet that group don't travel as often to watch us v Colchester, Sflaphorpe etc. but wouldn't mind getting to see the whole game rather than just 5 seconds either side of each goal.

I would happily pay £100/season either to download or watch on line on Saturday night. I would also pay to have DVD mailed to me next working day.

I don't need commentary, replays, captions, but a game clock in the corner would be nice.

On the other hand, if I had a season ticket I wouldnt buy any.

I bet you could get 2000 subscribers at £100 a go. Which is the same as another 500 season ticket holder innit?

You never know, my 5 year old might start watching and join our fanbase rather than Arsenals, Chelseas etc.

Edited by chilvinho

A proper full lenghth download has to be a winner. I would like commentary as well as the images I think it would be quite bizarre wathching a game on a screen without commentary.

But a service that would definatley be worth around £100 a season to this and i suspect many an exiled Owl.

I think this is a brilliant idea personally.

The Div-X download idea is an absolute winner for me. As people have said, it would surely dramatically reduce overheads. The season ticket idea could still work for these as well (A subscription like you would have for Wednesday World)

They could also sell hard copies for people who don't know how / don't have time to burn their own for £5 a pop or £3 for those with a subscription for example.

As I said though, great idea, these are the sorts of ideas that people have been proposing for a long time. If the club starts to listen and gets it right, then thats exactly the sort of fan - board relationship I want to see.

There is a possibility that the club may be offering a raw dvd service in the near future that would be available within 30 minutes of the end of each match.

I can't see how that would be possible.

For a start - because it's filmed from 1 camera only, there's still a certain amount of editing to do to tidy it up - the club would never, and quite rightly, sell a raw DVD straight from what's recorded - no one would.

Also - it aint easy copying DVD's that fast - to a broadcast quality - the equiptment is expensive and it's time consuming.