What happened to Sammy ?

Guest owlsowlsowls

Guest owlsowlsowls

I'll walk a million miles for one of your smiles ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh saaaaaaaaaaa....aaaaaaaaaaaaamyyyyyyyy.....

A kop legend....

That's the one :biggrin:

There was a thread about him on Owlsonline about a year ago cos the rumour was that he'd died. But it turned out he was still "alive and kicking" though he didn't go to Wednesday games anymore.

I went to Peterborough and heard and saw 5,000 people singing to Sammy who was being held on the shoulders of his mates, the police were bemused they thought we were mad. I heard he was often assaulted by our piggy neighbors in Sheffield. It still makes the hairs stand up on back of my neck thinking of the noise and the emotion wow. Happy memories!

Sammy is still alive and kicking, and still living down Hackenthorpe....not sure if he still smokes them big cigars though.

A true Wednesday legend.

Saw the handsome one several months ago entertaining the passengers on the 53 bus from Low Edges, as he staggered off with can of lager in hand, I explained how he used to be held aloft and sung to by the Wednesday fans in the 70s. I think the passengers thought I was taking the wee wee !

Anyone remember him running across the pitch with a few cronies at Mansfield in 1976 ?

Sammy....wot a legend...when will Wednesday have the SWFC Sammy Wall of Fame under South Stand. Maybe we can push the club for this, after all its a descision that is about fit for their level.

BUY A BRICK FOR SAMMY'S WALL

Guest ozzieowl007

Sammy what a guy i can see him now with his blue and white scarf around is wrist been held high by the Wednesday fans, All singing to him i`ll walk a million miles for one of your smile`s he was like a hero seen by many Wednesday fans from the late 70s , E.B.R.A FOREVER

found a few web sites about SAMMY

:angry:

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A23357991

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A19923032

Guest cbroaduk8

This is a great story lads.... it takes me back to the stories my old man used to tell me about all the scrapes he used to get into. My mom met my dad at PNE where my dad got arrested for running on the pitch. Strange old days but up the owls.

Guest DickyBoy

Does anyone know what happened to the legend that was Sammy ?

I went to school with Robert Cousins, brother of Sammy and strangely enough Robert was a Unitedite. The family lived in Hackenthorpe and Robert and I attended Carter Lodge School. Sammy had an hair-lip and was mentally disabled which left him vulnerable to outside influences. Other people would dare him to do dangerous or unorthodox things. When we used to go to away matches with the Hogshead Public House, some of my friends used to get him to play tricks on other people on the coach to get a laugh but these pranks could end up in violence when done to opposition supporters. Alcohol and the people he eventually knocked about with set him on a downward spirall. I have not seen Sammy for some years now.