Blind man in North Stand .....

Guest MEXBOROUGH

There was a blind bloke who use to travel on the Mexborough Owls bus to almost

every away game in the eighties . He was also a season ticket holder in the North Stand,

A very likeable bloke and a bit of a character.

He used to travel and sit with his mate who would provide a match commentary for him.

The bus would always stop on route for pre match drinks and he would usually be the last

to get back on board. Every one would watch as he walked down the isle, forget to duck

as he took his seat and bash his head on the overhead luggage rack , much to the amusement

of everybody including himself !

Guest intercity0wl

The guy from mexborough coach who sat in the north stand was called stuart and sat with his mate who i think was called shonna holmes.

saw him only the other weeK walking over the bridge thats links Denaby and Mexborough. Think he lives in Old Denaby. Dont know if he still goes.

Is indeed a very intelligent chap think he was involved in the Mexborough athletic club quiz team that reached the televised final of the news of the world pub quiz some years back

Guest MEXBOROUGH

Yes that’s him, I couldn’t remember his name, its good to know he’s still around.

His son who I only know by the nickname of Sailor, because he used to be in the Navy ,

still attends some games. He is now a Fireman so perhaps I should call him Sam now !

It seems like we use to travel on the same coach ico, happy days heh !

Guest intercity0wl

Hi mexborough could have done, Was it based at the Sportsman Plant or Imperial at that time.

I used to go with the sporsman sometimes but started with Billies coaches in the 70s. they always had a bus sometimes two going to the games.

Often wonder what happened to a lot of the lads on them buses. Mexborough was always a wednesday town

Guest MEXBOROUGH

I started travelling to away games around 77/ 78 when the bus was based at The Sportsman.

Bri Davis was chairman and Buck was club secretary, then it moved to The Plant around 1980

So we probably crossed paths sometime back then. By the time the bus was based at The Imperial

I was travelling to games by train

Guest intercity0wl

i remember Bri Davis and Buck who i sometimes still see in the Main street. you probably new Calla dowlo ect. there used to be a guy at the sportsman called Tex Dunn int sen him for years

Guest MEXBOROUGH

i remember Bri Davis and Buck who i sometimes still see in the Main street. you probably new Calla dowlo ect. there used to be a guy at the sportsman called Tex Dunn int sen him for years

Calla is a member on this board, he doesn't post very often, but might if he sees this. We have season tickets next to each other in the North Stand and travel together watching Wednesday and England.

Tex is my distant cousin, I aint seen him for years either. He moved down London working for NUM not long

before the miners strike and we lost contact.

Guest intercity0wl

Spent many happy times with Text in the sportsman well what i can remember of them, was a great lad. As for calla only see him very rarly but he always acknowleges me by name. still chuckle at some of the things he was involed in when younger remember one away game when confronted by a large group of opposition fans and all calla said was anybody who runs gets it after ive dealt with this lot. wednesday through and through.

The blind lad who the original post is (I think) about is called Mark. He goes to virtually every away game with his mum, who I used to work with at the University. She does a commentary for him every game, top Wednesdayites both of them and a credit to the club.

My dad used to tell me about a blind guy that used to go with his mate. Once the three of them were walking towards the bus stop and the bus came...so they all ran for it. It was only when they got there that my dad realised the blind guy had run with them....he couldn't believe it.

This was probably 30 years ago though, can't be the same fella.

Hi mexborough could have done, Was it based at the Sportsman Plant or Imperial at that time.

I used to go with the sporsman sometimes but started with Billies coaches in the 70s. they always had a bus sometimes two going to the games.

Often wonder what happened to a lot of the lads on them buses. Mexborough was always a wednesday town

As was Hoyland and Darfield, I was in South Elmsall (West Yorks) about 15 years ago, saw a number of people wearing blue and white scarves, thought they might well support Featherstone (RL). I asked a local who said "They all support Sheffield Wednesday".

Edited by dnhc

Guest intercity0wl

As was Hoyland and Darfield, I was in South Elmsall (West Yorks) about 15 years ago, saw a number of people wearing blue and white scarves, thought they might well support Featherstone (RL). I asked a local who said "They all support Sheffield Wednesday".

Funny how this thread has reappeard as by coincidence i saw the blind guy who i thought this thread could have been refering to just yesterday walking over the bridge towards Mexborough from Denaby, he had his white stick and was witht a lady i took to be his wife.

Im convinced his name is Stuart and he lives in Old Denaby and his companion at games was a guy called Shona Holmes from Mexborough who worked for the YE

B, think im right. anyway.

Guest James-The-Owl

The blind lad who the original post is (I think) about is called Mark. He goes to virtually every away game with his mum, who I used to work with at the University. She does a commentary for him every game, top Wednesdayites both of them and a credit to the club.

He goes to all Sheffield Eagles games too, my mate does commentary for him. He was sat on my seat on the coach to Middlesborough, was a mis-understanding and he'd actually boarded the wrong coach :laugh: nice guy though and real sports enthusiast.

My dad used to tell me about a blind guy that used to go with his mate. Once the three of them were walking towards the bus stop and the bus came...so they all ran for it. It was only when they got there that my dad realised the blind guy had run with them....he couldn't believe it.

This was probably 30 years ago though, can't be the same fella.

...and when they got to the bus stop, the blind man threw his glass eye in the air. He was asked why he did that.

"Just having a look round to see if there's any spare seats upstairs."