Behind The Scenes...............37 Years Ago

12 hours ago, Lombardo said:

The interview with Wilkinson gives me shudders as I always remember his sarcastic tones as our PE teacher at school rather than one of Wednesdays best managers…

This, especially when he hacked me down in a staff v pupils game and sauntered past saying "they shall not pass"

My one and only moment of glory on the school pitches!

• Haha 1

Martin Hodge talking about the goal Coventry scored from the keeper, I always thought he lost his confidence after that and wasn't quite the same keeper and with him still talking about it instead of forgetting about it and putting it out of his mind, I think confirms it for me

10 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Season ticket prices for the 1986-87 season as advertised in the programme v Ipswich Town on Saturday 3rd May 1986.

IMG_20231206_122206.jpg

We sent Ipswich down that day after 25 years in the top flight!

10 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

We sent Ipswich down that day after 25 years in the top flight!

We did mate and a look at the seasons results tells us we best Manchrster City,Arsenal and Manchester United all at Wednesday.....just as we would today.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, REDOWL said:

We did mate and a look at the seasons results tells us we best Manchrster City,Arsenal and Manchester United all at Wednesday.....just as we would today.

Yep we did the double over City and Garry Thompson who I mentioned in another thread scored in both games.

We finished 5th that season yet our attendances were all over the place with a low of 13K v QPR and a high of 48K v Man. Utd. 

In 10 home games we had under 20K.

Thanks for posting this. Haven’t ever seen this.

Just like todays’s Inside Matchday releases, but absolutely of it’s time.

There’s something moving about watching this for me for sure. It’s slightly painful to see the hope and expectation of the people at this grand old club, Howard, old Bert McGhee, the polite, monotone players respectfully answering the questions dutifully long before the age of media training….

The old board, the masons, the dark wood boardroom walls, the suits, the pride. No Hillsborough disaster, no all seater grounds, no sanitisation, no Sky, no billions,  no state ownership.

The thought, as I had as a then 16 year old and I’m sure others did, that over the next 60 years of my life we’d win the Cup a couple of times, the League at some point, we would always be in the top 8 clubs in England.

I always  wish I could have HW round for dinner to tell him how much he and it all meant to me. The pride he had and that he gave us comes through in this film so strongly. We were such a proud club. 

It’s a wonderful piece of footage and I love so many of the people in it. There’s an overwhelming sense of dignity and pride from all the key people who were featured.

It’s definitely an emotional watch, seeing the dreams that never could be in an era that no longer exists.

• Like 4
  • Love 1