Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Trust Statement on The 1867 Protest March

19 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Wasn’t it them that got Hillsborough listed as an ‘asset of community value’ etc ?

I’d guess that plenty of us are a bit…. But he who dares wins and all that. 

True, I’d forgotten about that. But to be honest it means nothing unless Chansiri (or anyone else he sells the stadium to)  eventually tries to do something else with the land that the stadium is built on, and even then I’m not sure how much weight it carries. 

There are more immediate issues, such as fans being priced out, and it would have spoke absolute volumes if the other groups had backed the protest. 

it would have made the 1867 Group seem much less of a minority or a group of meddlers. Would have been better to have said nothing 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

There are more immediate issues, such as fans being priced out, and it would have spoke absolute volumes if the other groups had backed the protest. 

It read to me like they back people doing what they want but without the Trust putting their name to it… for whatever reason… maybe the Trust think dialogue with Chansiri is better than putting their name to this - as Chansiri already seems to have marked the card of ‘1867’ 

For me the protest March is about the pricing out of fans (1 of the things anyway) 

Maybe Chansiri thinks everyone who buys a ticket is an ‘I’m alright Jack’ but that’s definitely not the case. 

• Like 2

The Trust seem to be a professional organisation that seem to get things done through a dialogue with the appropriate authorities.

1867 are a more direct grassroots organisation with protests on the street. 

Both have the clubs best interest at heart and both are welcome 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Good statement. 

Can’t see why anyone would take issue with it if people actually read it and understood the background. 

Also worth bearing in mind that if the trust is going to be the official ie FSA registered supporters group then their behaviour has to be beyond reproach as an organisation. 

Of course the individuals are free to protest as they see fit.

Reminds me the following quote by a 90s politican when asked if someone was incompetent. 

"That could well be the case but I couldn't possibly comment on the issue"

• Like 1

Just had a look at the website. Looks good that they're trying to get ticket prices reduced etc. Totally failed so far though, in fact, prices have risen since their inception. Talking to DC doesn't work it seems. 

As for the statement, I can see why they put it out and why it says what it says, but it does come across as 'we want change but don't want to actually do anything to effect it in case someone gets upset with us. But if other people want to go ahead, we'll see what side we're on after.' That's the trouble with being an official group, if DC says he won't listen to them they cease to have any use or reason to exist. 

• Like 1

The Trust’s Board’s view is that, on this occasion, it is up to each individual fan to decide whether or not to participate in the march, details of which are readily available online.”

Thank God for that. If they’d not said it was ok for me to make my own decision I’d have been too scared to take part in case I got their disapproval.

Who the f*** do they think they are!?!?!?!

• Haha 1

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The Trust’s Board’s view is that, on this occasion, it is up to each individual fan to decide whether or not to participate in the march, details of which are readily available online.”

Thank God for that. If they’d not said it was ok for me to make my own decision I’d have been too scared to take part in case I got their disapproval.

Who the f*** do they think they are!?!?!?!

This is what happens with these fans groups. They get carried away. 

36 minutes ago, vulva said:

Ticket prices in my opinion are too high, however, as a bottom of the league team we average around 25,000. That indicates DC has probably pitched the prices at around the right point. 

Some merit in this, but what we don't know is if prices were lower, would we have got 5000 more season ticket sales after Barnsley and also if matchday prices were lowered, would we get more POTD. At the Blackburn match, it was clear to see that there wasn't the number attending that was reported, so I'm assuming there are already season ticket holders voting with their feet. This could really impact on next year.

Like many, this will be the first year I'll have ever even considered whether to renew and I've had a season ticket since 1972. DR's appointment has probably swung it, subject to the price, but next year, for instance, if we are paying excessive prices and are in L1 with a poor manager and no funds, who knows. 

10 hours ago, Miffed said:

All I remember the trust ever doing was writing a few strongly worded letters and then going quiet

It would have been a real statement of intent to back the protest and add more weight to the cause. Fans are being priced out but the best they can come up with is another strongly worded statement.  

Fence-sitters, basically.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they are in support of the protest but don't want to outright say it in fear of The Wednesday Sing moaning about them on Facebook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Having looked at it from both sides I can see things clearly. I'm of the opinion now that the trust should be publicly stating the facts around chansiris ownership. Just say what's happening and use their platform to get facts out and let people make their own minds up. They are upfront about who they are so they've already cleared the anonymity hurdle which seems to be the main gripe about 1867.

How about it swfc trust? There are many ways to achieve what we all want, which is a strong, stable, successful club. 

• Like 1