A Christmas Confession

Confession of a 12yr old geometrist

Being born in Sheffield myself my Dad took me to see both Sheffield teams, it was no contest for me I felt great at Hillsborough and crap at the lane.  In middle school there was a mix of Owls n Blades but mostly Owls and I really enjoyed several games a season.  Fast forward a few years to '93, I'm 12 and we've been unable to score tickets for the derby at Wembley, so last resort - Dad goes to queue up for hours at the lane and manages to get tickets for himself, me and my bros.  Great, I'm going to Wembley!  Far from ideal being in the pig end but we're going to see the match!  In awe at the occasion but feeling equally irritated as a massive Blades flag starts going up to pass over a big section of blunts..... "I'm not going to touch it" I'm thinking...... so I shove my hands in my pockets and notice I've got a drawing compass from school in there.  Without delay the compass gets in hand so the spiky bit is between thumb and forefinger and the rest of it is up my sleeve, I pull it out my pocket and start grabbing the flag thats drooping down over me with my left and tearing at the bastrd with my right, until it starts getting stretched out and I can see the people around me beyond the red fabric again.  Felt like earning absolution before Kick off for being in the wrong end  😁

• Love 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, regisleftfootvolley said:

Being born in Sheffield myself my Dad took me to see both Sheffield teams, it was no contest for me I felt great at Hillsborough and crap at the lane.  In middle school there was a mix of Owls n Blades but mostly Owls and I really enjoyed several games a season.  Fast forward a few years to '93, I'm 12 and we've been unable to score tickets for the derby at Wembley, so last resort - Dad goes to queue up for hours at the lane and manages to get tickets for himself, me and my bros.  Great, I'm going to Wembley!  Far from ideal being in the pig end but we're going to see the match!  In awe at the occasion but feeling equally irritated as a massive Blades flag starts going up to pass over a big section of blunts..... "I'm not going to touch it" I'm thinking...... so I shove my hands in my pockets and notice I've got a drawing compass from school in there.  Without delay the compass gets in hand so the spiky bit is between thumb and forefinger and the rest of it is up my sleeve, I pull it out my pocket and start grabbing the flag thats drooping down over me with my left and tearing at the bastrd with my right, until it starts getting stretched out and I can see the people around me beyond the red fabric again.  Felt like earning absolution before Kick off for being in the wrong end  😁

Not all heroes wear capes. 👍

• Haha 2

Went to the premier of the new Full Monty at the series at the Showroom this summer as my mate (massive blade) was an extra and got two free tickets.

He works at the pigs shop and I parked the car there for free, told me to pop inside while he got ready, the proceeded to give me an unoffical ground tour.

Ended up walking out the tunnel, round the pitch and out of an exit gate on the B/L John Street corner.

All I could think while walking round the touchline was how small it looks compared to Hillsborough...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Anyone else with a tale from the dark side?

Thought it might make interesting reading.

The only time I went to Bumhole Lane when Wednesday weren’t playing was the Alex Sabella game against his ex Argentine team.

Carl lived close by and he persuaded me to go with him…. Never again

I got scouted by them when I was 15/16 years old and was offered terms. It was with the likes of Phil Jagielka and Michael Tongue and that particular year of group.

I refused to sign because I would never wear their shirt, I would have to say it was the biggest regret I've made and I always think what if.

Went on to play Rugby instead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Now that's the type of story I was hoping for LOL. Cheers, love it.

My team played and beat Sheff Utd Junior Blades 4-1 once. A team with a couple of lads in it who later went pro, think Trenton Wiggan was one of them. 

Trenton wiggan was my manager /coach when I played for Sheffield rangers as a kid. Reyt knóbhead

3 hours ago, S2 OWLS said:

Like the earlier post I lived at Heeley and  remember Currie and Woodward but a mate at school talked me into going to watch Wednesday for a night match as earlier comment it was bloody awful but something clicked and that was it hooked and have been ever since.

Had some hairy times when they were both at home but the blunts in the Wagon on Heeley Green seemed to tolerate me and to be honest late seventies early eighties plenty of Wednesday in S2.

After Boxing day 1979 ended up in Red Lion on Chesterfield Road and the place was bouncing with Wednesday.

My first girlfriend used to take me around the pubs on Chesterfield Road, her local was the Shakey.

When I later played football with the BBC lads, I used to drink down London Road on Friday and Sunday nights with them too. It was where I was brought up down there. Sharrow Lane School was my school in the early years.

3 hours ago, regisleftfootvolley said:

Love it.

2 hours ago, Lombardo said:

The only time I went to Bumhole Lane when Wednesday weren’t playing was the Alex Sabella game against his ex Argentine team.

Carl lived close by and he persuaded me to go with him…. Never again

Carl as in Bullivant?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theowlsman said:

When I was about 7 or 8, I got a Christmas present one year, not from my Mum and Dad, but from a friend of theirs, it was a full Sheffield United kit and a football.

The kit was well made, the shirt was made of good quality cotton, and had a sewn on badge, black shorts and white socks. I used to wear it and kick the ball about in my Nan's back yard as her yard was bigger than ours, and used to practice keeping the ball up doing "keepy uppy". 

The indoctrination never worked though as my Dad was a Wednesdayite and not only did we watch Sheffield United with his mate, but would then watch Wednesday the following week too at Hillsborough, and it was always Wednesday first for me even though like now, we were crap and United were seen as the better side (they're not really) with the likes of Tony Currie and Alan Woodward playing for them.

The shirt ended up as a very good polishing rag my Mum used after I grew out of it by the way. And we lived near Bramall Lane at the time. My Mum worked behind the bar at United's Social Club, and we always got complimentary tickets to watch United's games from the club steward, Norman.

I remember one game when the Blades were playing Middlesbrough. Their fans had been drinking in The Cremorne near us, and decided to run down our street, jump on top of car roofs, and kick widows in. My Nan came out onto the street wearing her house coat (overalls that the old uns used to wear to do their housework in), she carrying a brush, and walloped the Boro hooligans with it as they went by. The following Monday she was being interviewed by a reporter from The Star, and later made the day's news columns. My Nan took on the Boro boys with brush!

Anyone else with a tale from the dark side?

Thought it might make interesting reading.

Yes my best mate in my late teens was a United fan. We came to an agreement that one week we would go to the United game and the next  week we'd go to the Wednesday one. It was a good agreement we kept goiung for 2 or so years. It was when Tony Currie was at his best. I never took to United but Currie was a special player.

10 hours ago, prowl said:

Yes my best mate in my late teens was a United fan. We came to an agreement that one week we would go to the United game and the next  week we'd go to the Wednesday one. It was a good agreement we kept goiung for 2 or so years. It was when Tony Currie was at his best. I never took to United but Currie was a special player.

Billy Dearden lived a few houses up from me on a side road in the Carterknowle area of Sheffield.

His daughters were at the same junior school as me.There was a commotion when he came to the school open day…I didn’t know what the fuss was about as I saw him everyday.

Edited by Lombardo

A few years ago, a mate of mine won an all expenses paid trip away to Liverpool to watch them play Middlesbrough in the PL. Directors' box seats, lunch before kickoff etc. Bearing in mind I hate Liverpool as much as I hate the Blades, I spent most of the match winding up my Liverpool supporting mates, and the other half talking to the bloke beside me... Steve Gibson. Should've also borrowed a drawing compass and stabbed the bar steward in the leg!

14 hours ago, theowlsman said:

My first girlfriend used to take me around the pubs on Chesterfield Road, her local was the Shakey.

When I later played football with the BBC lads, I used to drink down London Road on Friday and Sunday nights with them too. It was where I was brought up down there. Sharrow Lane School was my school in the early years.

I too went in Shakey early eighties had a run in with Sully senior who died last year we did get on in later years.

Another confession as an earlier post I was in the crowd for the friendly when blunts played River Plate as part of Sabella deal also Bruce Springsteen and Bomber Graham boxing. That said best ever visit was April 1980 happy days