Jump to content

A Christmas Confession


Recommended Posts

Your Old man got me tickets in South stand at Bumhole lane, for a derby game, when i lived in North Wales.

 

I was sat behind Emlyn Hughes with my cousin. After the second one went in, he asked why i was not celebrating. 

 

I had to buy tickets for the Pigs next home game (to stop us Owls going in the home end), on my way out a young Pig asked his dad if he could take his mate to the next game. I generously gave him my ticket, smiled and said i wouldn't need it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Owl in Manc said:

Your Old man got me tickets in South stand at Bumhole lane, for a derby game, when i lived in North Wales.

 

I was sat behind Emlyn Hughes with my cousin. After the second one went in, he asked why i was not celebrating. 

 

I had to buy tickets for the Pigs next home game (to stop us Owls going in the home end), on my way out a young Pig asked his dad if he could take his mate to the next game. I generously gave him my ticket, smiled and said i wouldn't need it.

 

I used to keep seeing Emlyn Hughes at the bookies in Bradway. He was always betting on the horses. I think my brother played with him at some point, though it might've been after his pro career was finished. I recall my bro saying nobody could ever get the ball of him. Not bad for a defender!

 

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them my Dad was a coach who worked with Tony Currie at Bramall Lane. He once told Currie that the goal he scored a few years back to win goal of the month, where he turned about four West Ham players inside out before finding the bottom corner, was play acting, he could've smacked the ball into the net first time without showboating said my Dad.

 

"Shut up Trev you daft t*ât" was the response he received. 😂😂😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played for Sheffield United as a kid, and the photos get tagged regularly on social media when I'm trolling my United-supporting mates. When I first put the shirt on, I got some black electrical tape from my dad and put it over the United badge - and it took Tony Currie (who was coaching the team) a good while to notice! I was instructed to remove it out of "respect" for United, to which I muttered "calm down, pig" or something along those lines - pretty sure he heard, but didn't reply!

 

As part of that sorry episode in my life, I had to go to several United games with the free tickets. Remember one particular game, in 1992 I think, and United played Spurs off the park. They won 2-0 (or maybe 3-1) and I started booing, got up and started walking out. I was only 11 at the time and my mum was pretty embarrassed I'd caused a scene. 😆 I left shortly after and played for our local Sunday side.

 

Fast forward 7 years and I went to my first ever party legally allowed to drink - it was a good mates 18th. He's a big Unitedite and had arranged a United-themed raffle to raise money for charity. A few United players turned up and really made the night. Unfortunately for me, I won a signed United shirt! After finding out I was a Wednesdayite, a couple of the United players pinned me down and put the shirt on me. What they hadn't banked on was I was an 18 year old properly boozing for the first time and had the best part of a bottle of brandy in me. I got up wearing the United shirt and proceeded to vomit everywhere - ensuring the shirt was covered! If that wasn't enough, one of my mate's nephews - was probably about 7/8 years old at the time - won a signed United ball. In my drunken state, I took the ball off him, went outside and booted it into the nearby field. It was well into the evening and the ball was never seen again! 😆

  • Love 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

When I was about 7 or 8, I got a Christmas present one year, not from my Mum and Dad, but from a friend of theirs, it was a full Sheffield United kit and a football.

 

The kit was well made, the shirt was made of good quality cotton, and had a sewn on badge, black shorts and white socks. I used to wear it and kick the ball about in my Nan's back yard as her yard was bigger than ours, and used to practice keeping the ball up doing "keepy uppy". 

 

The indoctrination never worked though as my Dad was a Wednesdayite and not only did we watch Sheffield United with his mate, but would then watch Wednesday the following week too at Hillsborough, and it was always Wednesday first for me even though like now, we were crap and United were seen as the better side (they're not really) with the likes of Tony Currie and Alan Woodward playing for them.


The shirt ended up as a very good polishing rag my Mum used after I grew out of it by the way. And we lived near Bramall Lane at the time. My Mum worked behind the bar at United's Social Club, and we always got complimentary tickets to watch United's games from the club steward, Norman.

 

I remember one game when the Blades were playing Middlesbrough. Their fans had been drinking in The Cremorne near us, and decided to run down our street, jump on top of car roofs, and kick widows in. My Nan came out onto the street wearing her house coat (overalls that the old uns used to wear to do their housework in), she carrying a brush, and walloped the Boro hooligans with it as they went by. The following Monday she was being interviewed by a reporter from The Star, and later made the day's news columns. My Nan took on the Boro boys with brush!

 

Anyone else with a tale from the dark side?

 

Thought it might make interesting reading.

Get t’lane

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

 

I used to keep seeing Emlyn Hughes at the bookies in Bradway. He was always betting on the horses. I think my brother played with him at some point, though it might've been after his pro career was finished. I recall my bro saying nobody could ever get the ball of him. Not bad for a defender!

 

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them my Dad was a coach who worked with Tony Currie at Bramall Lane. He once told Currie that the goal he scored a few years back to win goal of the month, where he turned about four West Ham players inside out before finding the bottom corner, was play acting, he could've smacked the ball into the net first time without showboating said my Dad.

 

"Shut up Trev you daft t*ât" was the response he received. 😂😂😂

i was told to "behave myself" as Trev's job would be on the line if they knew he had got me tickets! I was on my best behavior! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I played for Sheffield United as a kid, and the photos get tagged regularly on social media when I'm trolling my United-supporting mates. When I first put the shirt on, I got some black electrical tape from my dad and put it over the United badge - and it took Tony Currie (who was coaching the team) a good while to notice! I was instructed to remove it out of "respect" for United, to which I muttered "calm down, pig" or something along those lines - pretty sure he heard, but didn't reply!

 

As part of that sorry episode in my life, I had to go to several United games with the free tickets. Remember one particular game, in 1992 I think, and United played Spurs off the park. They won 2-0 (or maybe 3-1) and I started booing, got up and started walking out. I was only 11 at the time and my mum was pretty embarrassed I'd caused a scene. 😆 I left shortly after and played for our local Sunday side.

 

Fast forward 7 years and I went to my first ever party legally allowed to drink - it was a good mates 18th. He's a big Unitedite and had arranged a United-themed raffle to raise money for charity. A few United players turned up and really made the night. Unfortunately for me, I won a signed United shirt! After finding out I was a Wednesdayite, a couple of the United players pinned me down and put the shirt on me. What they hadn't banked on was I was an 18 year old properly boozing for the first time and had the best part of a bottle of brandy in me. I got up wearing the United shirt and proceeded to vomit everywhere - ensuring the shirt was covered! If that wasn't enough, one of my mate's nephews - was probably about 7/8 years old at the time - won a signed United ball. In my drunken state, I took the ball off him, went outside and booted it into the nearby field. It was well into the evening and the ball was never seen again! 😆

 

Now that's the type of story I was hoping for LOL. Cheers, love it.

 

My team played and beat Sheff Utd Junior Blades 4-1 once. A team with a couple of lads in it who later went pro, think Trenton Wiggan was one of them. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

 

Now that's the type of story I was hoping for LOL. Cheers, love it.

 

My team played and beat Sheff Utd Junior Blades 4-1 once. A team with a couple of lads in it who later went pro, think Trenton Wiggan was one of them. 

Didn't he later join the Springfield Police Force? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, here is my confession. 

 

In my early secondary school years at Rowlinson, my best friend was a Blade.  We both lived in Woodseats, so in the blades catchment area.  He kept on bugging me to change alligence and I was like, "No way".  I had been an Owl since 8 years old and had no intention of changing.

 

However, for his birthday one year, his parents took a few of his friends to a match.  I was invited and felt obliged to go.  

 

I can remember standing on the kop, looking up at the rusty roof and it just felt really really wrong.  No idea who they played, no idea of the score, although I can remember cheering for a goal they scored.  (Just thinking of that makes me feel sick) 

 

I left the ground feeling dirty and used. I didn't stay best friends with him for much longer and to this day have never been in the home areas of the stain. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Apologies for the typos, was too late to amend. Poor widows.

When I worked at a local Council a councillor headed an email to about 200 people  'Yorkshire Widows - I'm Getting Too Many Complaints '. 

Made us laugh.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like the earlier post I lived at Heeley and  remember Currie and Woodward but a mate at school talked me into going to watch Wednesday for a night match as earlier comment it was bloody awful but something clicked and that was it hooked and have been ever since.

Had some hairy times when they were both at home but the blunts in the Wagon on Heeley Green seemed to tolerate me and to be honest late seventies early eighties plenty of Wednesday in S2.

After Boxing day 1979 ended up in Red Lion on Chesterfield Road and the place was bouncing with Wednesday.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...