When Smith is fit who starts?

When Smith is fit who starts?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. When Smith is fit who starts?

• Cadamarteri
    • Smith

Horses for courses. Depends how Roehl wants to play on any given day. Neither is ideal at this point. Cadamarteri is mobile and highly effective in the press but can get bullied defensively. Smith can lead the line all day against big defenders but my nose runs faster than him. In practice whoever starts likely get flipped after 60 minutes or so anyway, likely for the other one. 

I see sadly we’ve already got a fans who don’t understand that Cadamarteri is very young and very raw, and will need games out of the lineup along the way. Let’s see where guys like Miley are in six weeks time. Young players can typically do it in bursts but game in, game out for a full season is a huge ask of any youngster. 

• Like 2

It’s quite easy.

Smith’s been out for several games now. He’ll be eased back to match fitness, so Cads will start. 

Smith coming on after Cads has chased himself silly is a really strong place for us to be.

I’d like to think we’ll see them partnered a few times too, but that might be limited to chasing games. 

1 hour ago, Eastern said:

Could Smith leave in January to allow someone to come in?

Hope not. He’s important to us and still our best proven central striker. Though hopefully Cads continues to threaten that role.

Gregory and Fletcher are the two to leave.

• Like 1

Cadamarteri keeps the shirt 

It's a very complex domain to develop young players and get them up to standard (if their ultimate ability allows)

But one thing that really does help is to keep faith with them - especially when doing everything that's asked

If/when the schedule catches up with him then that'll be the time to give him a breather but while he's affecting games and crucially scoring goals then it's not even a debate to be had

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, scram said:

It's a very complex domain to develop young players and get them up to standard (if their ultimate ability allows)

But one thing that really does help is to keep faith with them - especially when doing everything that's asked

If/when the schedule catches up with him then that'll be the time to give him a breather but while he's affecting games and crucially scoring goals then it's not even a debate to be had

Absolutely nailed it.

Until it's proven he can't do it the shirt is his, the others have done naff all beyond opposition better than Rotherham.

The young lad has done it against top of the league and a team just outside the playoffs. I don't just mean scoring but actually allowing us to press high up the pitch, like we need to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scram said:

Memories of Ritchie Humphreys?

Cadamateri is our best striker. He plays.

Simple for me. If we are going to persist with one up top then we need another striker in January and if we can offload Fletcher and Gregory it’s a good window.

Id also be looking to bring in a striker for the youth team to replace Cadamateri there, this is where Röhl could use his contacts and knowledge as a young foreign striker given time to develop in the under 21s could be a good future asset. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Memories of Ritchie Humphreys?

Could be

But then again could be memories of Michael Owen - not in outright ability but in the sense of being able to hit the ground running and keep improving

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scram said:

Could be

But then again could be memories of Michael Owen - not in outright ability but in the sense of being able to hit the ground running and keep improving

Think the major difference between both of these examples is that both didn't come into a team low on confidence and struggling. I'm not comparing any of them btw. It's equally likely that Cadamateri may go on to be less successful than Owen Morrison, sorry @owlstalk . 

Rarely, for Wednesday have I seen a youth player come into a very underperforming team, a striker at that and make an actual difference to the quality of the overall team play. It's two games but that pressing at the front makes a huge difference to our game. Playing Cadamateri allows us to put Windass outside, who also presses. It's a knock on effect throughout the eleven.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scram said:

Could be

I always felt that Pleat took Humphreys out at just the wrong time. It really seemed to knock him off course. Whether he ever ultimately had the talent who knows?! The trouble is that human beings don’t come with an instruction manual I guess. 

I’d certainly be picking him next week. Guess Roehl has to follow his nose and see how the lad responds, and how he holds up. As fans we just desperately need to avoid loading too much pressure on him though. It’s hard because he’s an exciting prospect but by the same token I remember some folk touting Caolan Lavery as the next Hirst when he broke in and he of course never kicked on. Patience is needed. 

Edited by Blergh

21 hours ago, Paul.. said:

For me it's still Bailey, he offers so much more overall, yes he lacks experience but he's also fearless with being so young, the way we play now that's a useful asset.

IMO Smith is a very poor finisher, should have had 30 easily last season, we were so dominant in League 1 for the most part we constantly put it on a plate for him and a lot of his finishing was awful, especially his heading.

Both is not an option because I don't think Röhl would line us up that way.

It’s interesting that you say that we were so dominant last year and that it’s the players fault for missing the chances that meant that we didn’t wok my more goals and get a few more points. I remember last season it being all the managers fault that we weren’t scoring 2,3 and 4 every week.

Weirdly, under his manager. It is the players fault

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scram said:

Thank you for not calling him Cads ! 😁

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You don't think we're performing well the way Röhl is setting us up?

I don't think he will be that rigid in how he sets up. I don't think there will be one set formation - as shown against Balckburn when he changed it half time. I think Smith as a targat man - with Bailey buzzing in and around him could be fantastic.

Just now, royalowlisback said:

I don't think he will be that rigid in how he sets up. I don't think there will be one set formation - as shown against Balckburn when he changed it half time. I think Smith as a targat man - with Bailey buzzing in and around him could be fantastic.

Well, yeah - that's my point.

He's already shown his tactical flexibility and the performances he's getting out of this squad have been really impressive, given the circumstances.

I was just curious why you seemingly wanted him to ditch that and go with a 532.

If it's just one option among many though, then fair enough.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well, yeah - that's my point.

He's already shown his tactical flexibility and the performances he's getting out of this squad have been really impressive, given the circumstances.

I was just curious why you seemingly wanted him to ditch that and go with a 532.

If it's just one option among many though, then fair enough.

It's just one option, if we continue to improve as we are - especially at home, I think the 'opposites' may be less 'gung-ho' than they have been lately - we have had space to run into partly because I think they under-estimated us - that won't continue and there might not be as much space down the flanks - can't imagine QPR bombing on as much as say Leicester or Blackburn - different tactics and personnel may be needed to break them down.

• Like 1