When Smith is fit who starts?

When Smith is fit who starts?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. When Smith is fit who starts?

• Cadamarteri
    • Smith

For me it's still Bailey, he offers so much more overall, yes he lacks experience but he's also fearless with being so young, the way we play now that's a useful asset.

IMO Smith is a very poor finisher, should have had 30 easily last season, we were so dominant in League 1 for the most part we constantly put it on a plate for him and a lot of his finishing was awful, especially his heading.

Both is not an option because I don't think Röhl would line us up that way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe one of the mods can help merge the threads and open for discussion below the poll?

Personally, right now, I'd stick with Cadamarteri; young player with a potentially great future and currently with lots of confidence and putting in great performances, it's his place to defend/lose right now.

• Like 2

Cadamarteri brings a lot of good energy to the side. He presses the opposition well, dribbles, has pace, and can finish.

Smith is a good finisher but we need to give him the service, which I don't think is going to happen. His touch and hold-up play are average at best. 

Play them in a two, if not, Cads starts.

• Like 4

Cadamarteri has done well, but is still young and inexperienced and I think it is important not to expect too much from him early on, or to put him under too much pressure to produce the goods week in week out.

For me, it’s not as simple as saying - is it Cadamarteri or Smith ?

Its a busy Xmas period, with fixtures coming thick and fast and the possibility of injuries looming. I envisage them both having roles to play at stages during this period, although not both up front together obviously.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I would expect Smith to start more often than Cadamarteri. It's important to not overload Cadamarteri.

This 💯

Massive step up for young lad and he's firmly in and around first team now but can't put too much too soon on him especially with 7 games in 23 day's coming up.

Smith still our No1 center forward for me, cademateri has confidence and pace but did get bullied at times by Leicester/Blackburn defenders.   Smith offers more physicality up top.

Can see smith running himself into ground for an hour then cademateri coming off bench to add energy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I would expect Smith to start more often than Cadamarteri. It's important to not overload Cadamarteri.

This always seems to be the stance of our fans, that we should somehow hold our quality youth players back, yet look at Miley at Newcastle, only 17 years old and they've been forced to use him due to injuries, same with Mainoo at Man Utd, only 18 years old and pushed into a high pressured and pretty toxic team, yet both are flourishing under pressure. 

As long as he's physically recovring on par with the rest of the team, which I'm sure the sports science team are monitoring, then i see no point in dropping him now. Nobody truly expects we'll stay up, it's all a bonus, so our youth players that do get involved get a free hit, with little to no pressure. 

Edited by 0742
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, 0742 said:

This always seems to be the stance of our fans, that we should somehow hold our quality youth players back, yet look at Miley at Newcastle, only 17 years old and they've been forced to use him due to injuries, same with Mainoo at Man Utd, only 18 years old and pushed into a high pressured and pretty toxic team, yet both are flourishing under pressure. 

As long as he's physically recovring on par with the rest of the team, which I'm sure the sports science team are monitoring, then i see no point in dropping him now. Nobody truly expects we'll stay up, it's all a bonus, so our youth players that do get involved get a free hit, with little to no pressure. 

This is spot on

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 0742 said:

How is there little to no pressure? If it doesn’t go well for him he misses out on a career in professional football potentially 

Not sure on your examples, they’re filling in too