Jump to content

January Transfer/Loan Targets


Recommended Posts

Without a pot to ******** in we need an undiscovered gem with pace, not an easy find.

 

With his knowledge of German players perhaps look at stand out performers in lower leagues.  Janice Mause at Ingolstadt has been getting some good reviews, plenty of pace and goals in an average team. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, soldierowl said:

Without a pot to ******** in we need an undiscovered gem with pace, not an easy find.

 

With his knowledge of German players perhaps look at stand out performers in lower leagues.  Janice Mause at Ingolstadt has been getting some good reviews, plenty of pace and goals in an average team. 
 

I think this will be how it goes. Maybe a german loanee or an unknown on full transfer. But hopefully DR has seen enough of the championship to know exactly what he needs and where to get it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jmb5310 said:

Now that we're into December and less than one month away from the transfer window, I thought I'd put together a list of players that MAY be connected to this coaching staff.  I've done a minor bit of 'research' to see that splashing cash is unlikely.  SWFC hasn't spent any money on Winter Window transfers in the last 5 years, but they are far from the only ones.  Wednesday, Rotherham, Plymouth, Huddersfield, Millwall, Ipswich, QPR, Stoke, Coventry, Sunderland, Luton, and the Pigs have collectively spent £1.2M since 2019/2020.  So the players I'm going to suggest should not break the bank, however since DC claims he wants to spend £30,000 p/w on a loan striker, perhaps someone can suggest that £780K could be better spent on the club in the long term.  I also don't want to even try to generate random names that would make sense, especially without a head of recruitment, I'm more looking at players that have a connection to Röhl or Powell, for example. All values are from FootballTransfers.com

 

FORWARDS

 

Tanguy Coulibuy - FA - Not going to go into too much detail on the free agents.  Seems like an easier option, but would obviously need to get up to speed with the fitness of the club.  Coulibuy is just 22, so I'm very curious as to why he's still looking to latch on to a club.  He'd be a nice upgrade up front. 

Tariq Fosu - FA - Formerly of Brentford, Fosu had a loan spell with Rotherham last year.  He is certainly of Championship quality, even if he is just depth on the wings. 

Fiete Arp - Holstein - Former Bayern (£343K) -- He has certainly not put it all together, but he did arrive at Bayern while Röhl was there for a pretty hefty fee for a young player.  Could he see a career resurgence under a former coach?  I wouldn't want to take minutes from Cadamarteri, but a player to look at. 

Armindo Sieb - Furth - Former Bayern (£1.02M) -- Another former Bayern player, Sieb has 3 goals in 2. Bundesliga this season.  He also plays for Alexander Zorniger, for whom Röhl worked with at RB Leipzig.  Perhaps he can get a deal for the player!

Troy Parrott - Execelsior (Loan from Spurs)// Powell Connection (£3.25M) Here's my longshot in the list.  If SWFC truly want to make transfers like a Sunderland or an Ipswich, this would be one that makes a lot of sense to me.  Parrott has been loaned out quite a few times in his career (Millwall, Ipswich, MK Dons, PNE, Excelsior) and it's likely he won't ever make it in the Spurs squad.  But Powell should be really familiar with him from his time there, and he's performing extremely well in the Eredivisie with 4 goals in 11 contests.  Perhaps a call from Powell could persuade Spurs to recall the loan and sell him to Wednesday not unlike how Everton recalled Nathan Broadhead from Wigan to sell to Ipswich?  

 

MIDFIELD

 

Callum Slattery - Motherwell - Played at Southampton under Röhl (£770K) - A youth player that never really got a shot at Southampton seems to be performing rather well at Motherwell this season.  Just 24, could he be reunited with Röhl to allow him to excel in the Championship?

Leon Dajaku - Hajduk Split - Former Bayern (£850K) - Was playing for Bayern Muchen II when Röhl was at the club.  He had a decent season at Sunderland in League One, but rather subpar in the Championship.  However, he's just 22 so there is an opportunity to still develop. 

Jamie Bowden - FA // Powell Connection - @malek mentioned this one earlier this weekend, and he completely slipped my mind.  Released by Spurs at the end of the season, has had trials with AFC Wimbledon and Deportivo la Coruna but failed to latch on.  Perhaps he could rejoin Powell and get back on his feet with the Owls. 

 

DEFENSE

 

Jamie Lawrence - 1. FC Magdeburg - Former Bayern (£940K) - Currently on loan from Bayern, Lawrence is a massive defender at 2.01m.  He's played just one game for FC Magdeburg, so there is a potential that he could be recalled and perhaps a loan/sale to Röhl could be in order. According to the Magdeburg Sporting Director, "But we aren’t just getting the height. Jamie has huge qualities on the ball and very good build-up play,”

 

GOALKEEPER

 

Christian Früchtl - Austria Wien - Former Bayern (£770K) - Yup, another Bayern youth player.  Now in the Austrian first tier with a contract through next season, Früchtl is playing well and would require a fee to get the deal done.  With 9 clean sheets in 15 and only allowing 14 goals, he could be a strong candidate to take over the #1 if Röhl believes he can handle the step up in quality.

Ron-Thormon Hoffmann - E. Braunschwieg - Former Bayern (£600K) - The final former Bayern player, I think that Hoffmann could be a real possibility.  His contract is up at the end of the season and struggling a bit in 2.Bundesliga so I would not anticipate a large price tag.  He also has previous English experience with a loan to Sunderland.  If Devis is recalled, Hoffman could be depth to push Dawson for the shirt. 

 

LOANS

 

After the 'bombshell' that Chansiri wants to spend on a Loan Striker, I wanted to look at players that could potentially fit that profile.  I'm looking for players that have had success scoring in the Championship and could be available for loan.  It's not a huge pool of candidates. 

 

Cauley Woodrow - Luton - Woodrow has made 7 appearances in the Premier League this season, never named to the Starting XI and playing just 6% of the team's minutes.  However, in 19/20 and 20/21 while at Barnsley, he bagged 26 goals.  He's allegedly on £24K p/w wages, so there's some savings there for DC, as well. 

Harry Cornick - Bristol City - Not exactly featuring for Bristol City, he has shown in the not-so-distant past that he's able to drive some goals home (12 for Luton in 21/22). 

Callum Robinson - Cardiff - Featuring in about 1/3 of Cardiff's games, he may not be a loan candidate, but he's had two seasons where he reached double-digit goals in the Championship.  

 

 

Sorry I can't see the Paxo connection for any of them.

 

Now if you had mentioned a couple of low league Portugees players or a Dutch defender who can't defend (yes like that one) you might be closer to the mark.

 

I hope I'm joking.lol

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jmb5310 said:

Now that we're into December and less than one month away from the transfer window, I thought I'd put together a list of players that MAY be connected to this coaching staff.  I've done a minor bit of 'research' to see that splashing cash is unlikely.  SWFC hasn't spent any money on Winter Window transfers in the last 5 years, but they are far from the only ones.  Wednesday, Rotherham, Plymouth, Huddersfield, Millwall, Ipswich, QPR, Stoke, Coventry, Sunderland, Luton, and the Pigs have collectively spent £1.2M since 2019/2020.  So the players I'm going to suggest should not break the bank, however since DC claims he wants to spend £30,000 p/w on a loan striker, perhaps someone can suggest that £780K could be better spent on the club in the long term.  I also don't want to even try to generate random names that would make sense, especially without a head of recruitment, I'm more looking at players that have a connection to Röhl or Powell, for example. All values are from FootballTransfers.com

 

FORWARDS

 

Tanguy Coulibuy - FA - Not going to go into too much detail on the free agents.  Seems like an easier option, but would obviously need to get up to speed with the fitness of the club.  Coulibuy is just 22, so I'm very curious as to why he's still looking to latch on to a club.  He'd be a nice upgrade up front. 

Tariq Fosu - FA - Formerly of Brentford, Fosu had a loan spell with Rotherham last year.  He is certainly of Championship quality, even if he is just depth on the wings. 

Fiete Arp - Holstein - Former Bayern (£343K) -- He has certainly not put it all together, but he did arrive at Bayern while Röhl was there for a pretty hefty fee for a young player.  Could he see a career resurgence under a former coach?  I wouldn't want to take minutes from Cadamarteri, but a player to look at. 

Armindo Sieb - Furth - Former Bayern (£1.02M) -- Another former Bayern player, Sieb has 3 goals in 2. Bundesliga this season.  He also plays for Alexander Zorniger, for whom Röhl worked with at RB Leipzig.  Perhaps he can get a deal for the player!

Troy Parrott - Execelsior (Loan from Spurs)// Powell Connection (£3.25M) Here's my longshot in the list.  If SWFC truly want to make transfers like a Sunderland or an Ipswich, this would be one that makes a lot of sense to me.  Parrott has been loaned out quite a few times in his career (Millwall, Ipswich, MK Dons, PNE, Excelsior) and it's likely he won't ever make it in the Spurs squad.  But Powell should be really familiar with him from his time there, and he's performing extremely well in the Eredivisie with 4 goals in 11 contests.  Perhaps a call from Powell could persuade Spurs to recall the loan and sell him to Wednesday not unlike how Everton recalled Nathan Broadhead from Wigan to sell to Ipswich?  

 

MIDFIELD

 

Callum Slattery - Motherwell - Played at Southampton under Röhl (£770K) - A youth player that never really got a shot at Southampton seems to be performing rather well at Motherwell this season.  Just 24, could he be reunited with Röhl to allow him to excel in the Championship?

Leon Dajaku - Hajduk Split - Former Bayern (£850K) - Was playing for Bayern Muchen II when Röhl was at the club.  He had a decent season at Sunderland in League One, but rather subpar in the Championship.  However, he's just 22 so there is an opportunity to still develop. 

Jamie Bowden - FA // Powell Connection - @malek mentioned this one earlier this weekend, and he completely slipped my mind.  Released by Spurs at the end of the season, has had trials with AFC Wimbledon and Deportivo la Coruna but failed to latch on.  Perhaps he could rejoin Powell and get back on his feet with the Owls. 

 

DEFENSE

 

Jamie Lawrence - 1. FC Magdeburg - Former Bayern (£940K) - Currently on loan from Bayern, Lawrence is a massive defender at 2.01m.  He's played just one game for FC Magdeburg, so there is a potential that he could be recalled and perhaps a loan/sale to Röhl could be in order. According to the Magdeburg Sporting Director, "But we aren’t just getting the height. Jamie has huge qualities on the ball and very good build-up play,”

 

GOALKEEPER

 

Christian Früchtl - Austria Wien - Former Bayern (£770K) - Yup, another Bayern youth player.  Now in the Austrian first tier with a contract through next season, Früchtl is playing well and would require a fee to get the deal done.  With 9 clean sheets in 15 and only allowing 14 goals, he could be a strong candidate to take over the #1 if Röhl believes he can handle the step up in quality.

Ron-Thormon Hoffmann - E. Braunschwieg - Former Bayern (£600K) - The final former Bayern player, I think that Hoffmann could be a real possibility.  His contract is up at the end of the season and struggling a bit in 2.Bundesliga so I would not anticipate a large price tag.  He also has previous English experience with a loan to Sunderland.  If Devis is recalled, Hoffman could be depth to push Dawson for the shirt. 

 

LOANS

 

After the 'bombshell' that Chansiri wants to spend on a Loan Striker, I wanted to look at players that could potentially fit that profile.  I'm looking for players that have had success scoring in the Championship and could be available for loan.  It's not a huge pool of candidates. 

 

Cauley Woodrow - Luton - Woodrow has made 7 appearances in the Premier League this season, never named to the Starting XI and playing just 6% of the team's minutes.  However, in 19/20 and 20/21 while at Barnsley, he bagged 26 goals.  He's allegedly on £24K p/w wages, so there's some savings there for DC, as well. 

Harry Cornick - Bristol City - Not exactly featuring for Bristol City, he has shown in the not-so-distant past that he's able to drive some goals home (12 for Luton in 21/22). 

Callum Robinson - Cardiff - Featuring in about 1/3 of Cardiff's games, he may not be a loan candidate, but he's had two seasons where he reached double-digit goals in the Championship.  

 

 

If this analysis is anything to go by YOU ought to be part of the ‘recruitment team’ - well done

To be fair though I think Röhl will not be looking to boost up his midfield in the January window as he should have Momo Diaby to bring into his squad once he’s made room for him. Don’t forget before his injury and when we saw him play ( albeit) only briefly he looked class. I know he was only on loan but I believe the agreement was with ‘a view to purchase’ and if he does come back from his injury showing  his class he would be a great addition to our ageing midfield.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good work , Woodrow has an ok champ record . Around 1 in 4. Certainly not amazing but he’d surely be a big upgrade on Fletcher and capable of scoring a few . 
 

Cornick more of a wide man I thought ? 
 

Wouldn’t want parott , poor goal record , only fairly young granted but don’t think he’d be a good signing. 
 

no idea on a lot of the other names ! Whether Röhl does go to his country and knows a few good bundealiga /2 players 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we all need to manage our expectations about the transfer window 

 

- we are completely broke. The owner was asking for fan donations weeks ago

- our squad is full

- we are paying league one players above average championship wages. Who would want to buy them?

- Chansiri has unreasonable expectations about the value of our players. Makes sales unlikely

 

I hope I’m wrong and maybe something has changed but I’m not expecting anything from the window.

 

I enjoyed the well written post though OP

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TFUS said:

I think we all need to manage our expectations about the transfer window 

 

- we are completely broke. The owner was asking for fan donations weeks ago

- our squad is full

- we are paying league one players above average championship wages. Who would want to buy them?

- Chansiri has unreasonable expectations about the value of our players. Makes sales unlikely

 

I hope I’m wrong and maybe something has changed but I’m not expecting anything from the window.

 

I enjoyed the well written post though OP


And I believe that the rumour about £30k wages is just a rumour. The whole squad needs strengthening anyway, not just a striker even if it is a priority 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of research went into the post and think Lawrence is most likely from the list.

 

I tried to find players thought we may recruit and had no joy so appreciate effort put in. 
 

If you look ar team selections regarding type of player favoured and where we are weak came up with following

 

Left back is an area James is not fancied in that position by `Roehl so another left sided defender I think is likely.

 

Centre defence has been problematic and thought likely another centre half would be on agenda. However Diaby and Bernard have shown improved form and Iorfa has also performed well. 
 

At right back we have lots of options but only Iorfa has done well in position. Delgado sounds months away, Valentin not fancied and Palmer has not get sharpness back yet, and also looks a yard slower to me than last season. If Iorfa out for a while could be area we look at.

 

Defensive midfield Vaulks doing well but only option currently. Momo is injured and if he regains fitness would be option, his injury record is poor and would be risky relying on him. Hence think central /defensive midfield will be looked at.

 

Other area is main striker, Cadamateri has boosted this area but he is only one besdes Paterson who has energy and physicaity to hold down this role. I am certain will look to strengthen this area.

 

Hence think will target right and left back areas, defensive midfield and centre forward. Think they will mainly be loan players from Premier or Bundesliga clubs but no idea who. The management team have links to Liverpool, Manchester United, Spurs, Bayern and Leipzig.

 

Think DC will fund transfers as he needs to keep club in Championship. Think recent changes indicate he has potential suitors fr club or is trying to make it more attractive to potential buyers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, eightbelow said:

Can we really take his word that he will invest in the club. You have probably put more effort into the original post than Chancer when it comes to possible January additions.

Normally the answer is no. But something has changed and changed for the better. To go from Munoz and his cowboys to present management team is so different it can not be same person behind both recruitment strategies. It would be futile getting in current coaching team and supporting them so I am certain we will invest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Leicester were to get tom cannon out on loan 2nd half of the season.

 

Did really well last year for Preston and half of division seemed to want him in summer before Leicester used parachute cash for a perm deal. 

 

Obviously down pecking order for them.

he has been out injured. Hence he hasnt featured for Leicester

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mid Wicket said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't get anyone from abroad but stick with British players who know this league. 

I’m surprised you think Röhl will only look at British players when he and his back room staff have a background of high end foreign clubs. I have no doubt he will be looking at any player that may become available that would fit seamlessly into his system of football. Afterall he hasn’t got the time needed to re-coach new players to adopt and adapt to his style of play. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...