January Transfer/Loan Targets

6 hours ago, jmb5310 said:

Now that we're into December and less than one month away from the transfer window, I thought I'd put together a list of players that MAY be connected to this coaching staff.  I've done a minor bit of 'research' to see that splashing cash is unlikely.  SWFC hasn't spent any money on Winter Window transfers in the last 5 years, but they are far from the only ones.  Wednesday, Rotherham, Plymouth, Huddersfield, Millwall, Ipswich, QPR, Stoke, Coventry, Sunderland, Luton, and the Pigs have collectively spent £1.2M since 2019/2020.  So the players I'm going to suggest should not break the bank, however since DC claims he wants to spend £30,000 p/w on a loan striker, perhaps someone can suggest that £780K could be better spent on the club in the long term.  I also don't want to even try to generate random names that would make sense, especially without a head of recruitment, I'm more looking at players that have a connection to Röhl or Powell, for example. All values are from FootballTransfers.com

FORWARDS

Tanguy Coulibuy - FA - Not going to go into too much detail on the free agents.  Seems like an easier option, but would obviously need to get up to speed with the fitness of the club.  Coulibuy is just 22, so I'm very curious as to why he's still looking to latch on to a club.  He'd be a nice upgrade up front. 

Tariq Fosu - FA - Formerly of Brentford, Fosu had a loan spell with Rotherham last year.  He is certainly of Championship quality, even if he is just depth on the wings. 

Fiete Arp - Holstein - Former Bayern (£343K) -- He has certainly not put it all together, but he did arrive at Bayern while Röhl was there for a pretty hefty fee for a young player.  Could he see a career resurgence under a former coach?  I wouldn't want to take minutes from Cadamarteri, but a player to look at. 

Armindo Sieb - Furth - Former Bayern (£1.02M) -- Another former Bayern player, Sieb has 3 goals in 2. Bundesliga this season.  He also plays for Alexander Zorniger, for whom Röhl worked with at RB Leipzig.  Perhaps he can get a deal for the player!

Troy Parrott - Execelsior (Loan from Spurs)// Powell Connection (£3.25M) Here's my longshot in the list.  If SWFC truly want to make transfers like a Sunderland or an Ipswich, this would be one that makes a lot of sense to me.  Parrott has been loaned out quite a few times in his career (Millwall, Ipswich, MK Dons, PNE, Excelsior) and it's likely he won't ever make it in the Spurs squad.  But Powell should be really familiar with him from his time there, and he's performing extremely well in the Eredivisie with 4 goals in 11 contests.  Perhaps a call from Powell could persuade Spurs to recall the loan and sell him to Wednesday not unlike how Everton recalled Nathan Broadhead from Wigan to sell to Ipswich?  

MIDFIELD

Callum Slattery - Motherwell - Played at Southampton under Röhl (£770K) - A youth player that never really got a shot at Southampton seems to be performing rather well at Motherwell this season.  Just 24, could he be reunited with Röhl to allow him to excel in the Championship?

Leon Dajaku - Hajduk Split - Former Bayern (£850K) - Was playing for Bayern Muchen II when Röhl was at the club.  He had a decent season at Sunderland in League One, but rather subpar in the Championship.  However, he's just 22 so there is an opportunity to still develop. 

Jamie Bowden - FA // Powell Connection - @malek mentioned this one earlier this weekend, and he completely slipped my mind.  Released by Spurs at the end of the season, has had trials with AFC Wimbledon and Deportivo la Coruna but failed to latch on.  Perhaps he could rejoin Powell and get back on his feet with the Owls. 

DEFENSE

Jamie Lawrence - 1. FC Magdeburg - Former Bayern (£940K) - Currently on loan from Bayern, Lawrence is a massive defender at 2.01m.  He's played just one game for FC Magdeburg, so there is a potential that he could be recalled and perhaps a loan/sale to Röhl could be in order. According to the Magdeburg Sporting Director, "But we aren’t just getting the height. Jamie has huge qualities on the ball and very good build-up play,”

GOALKEEPER

Christian Früchtl - Austria Wien - Former Bayern (£770K) - Yup, another Bayern youth player.  Now in the Austrian first tier with a contract through next season, Früchtl is playing well and would require a fee to get the deal done.  With 9 clean sheets in 15 and only allowing 14 goals, he could be a strong candidate to take over the #1 if Röhl believes he can handle the step up in quality.

Ron-Thormon Hoffmann - E. Braunschwieg - Former Bayern (£600K) - The final former Bayern player, I think that Hoffmann could be a real possibility.  His contract is up at the end of the season and struggling a bit in 2.Bundesliga so I would not anticipate a large price tag.  He also has previous English experience with a loan to Sunderland.  If Devis is recalled, Hoffman could be depth to push Dawson for the shirt. 

LOANS

After the 'bombshell' that Chansiri wants to spend on a Loan Striker, I wanted to look at players that could potentially fit that profile.  I'm looking for players that have had success scoring in the Championship and could be available for loan.  It's not a huge pool of candidates. 

Cauley Woodrow - Luton - Woodrow has made 7 appearances in the Premier League this season, never named to the Starting XI and playing just 6% of the team's minutes.  However, in 19/20 and 20/21 while at Barnsley, he bagged 26 goals.  He's allegedly on £24K p/w wages, so there's some savings there for DC, as well. 

Harry Cornick - Bristol City - Not exactly featuring for Bristol City, he has shown in the not-so-distant past that he's able to drive some goals home (12 for Luton in 21/22). 

Callum Robinson - Cardiff - Featuring in about 1/3 of Cardiff's games, he may not be a loan candidate, but he's had two seasons where he reached double-digit goals in the Championship.  

Great analysis. 

One thing is for sure, i's trust Röhl and his staff to nail any recruitment. DC best keep well away from this, provide the funds and fizz off into the background and let the blokes with knowledge recruit who is right for the team. Between Röhl and his staff they must have an unbelievable network in Germany, and it did teams like Norwich and Hudds no harm when they had German managers in this league. They'll be some gems in the Bundesliga 2 and lower reaches of the Bundesliga, just let the people with the knowledge sort it and leave them to it. Don't want some crock ex premier league has been that wants one last pay day

• Like 4

4 hours ago, eightbelow said:

Can we really take his word that he will invest in the club. You have probably put more effort into the original post than Chancer when it comes to possible January additions.

Absolutely,  the last 8 years have taught me to stop believing in transfer and takeover rumours as they just end in disappointment and denial. 

That's why Cadamateri was so important to get involved in the first team as quickly as possible,  as this talk of "we need to sign proven goalscorers in January" i will believe when i see it.  

• Like 3