Rules on kids attending match

In 1968 i was 10 when my father took me to my  first match, a 0-2 loss to Wolves.

There were separate turnstiles for the Kop. It was 1s 3d boys and  2s 6d for men. He stood with me till I went through and then had to go and que himself to get in. Once in I was a small boy alone in the crowd waiting for him. I wasn't scared but it always seemed mad that the turnstiles were segregated like that.

24 minutes ago, Supersiggi2 said:

Can I ask how old and which part of the ground please pal?

Just now, wisewoodowl said:

The Kop, she's 34

Sorry for taking the p**s, I did forget my ticket yesterday, that did happen, I thought that the post was funny when I posted it, I realise now that I'm not being very helpful to you.  Hope that you get it sorted out.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, epton1867 said:

15&8 

Our kid was working at Firth-Browns then he was 15 (1974) imagine the conversation with a work mate 

" Are you going to the match later"?

"No me dad won't take me "

"Here that lads ,Daddy won't take him to the match "!!!

"Is the club still skint"?

"Yeah......cant think why "

17 hours ago, Supersiggi2 said:

A few times this season I've let my two lads go into the ground without me before the match, while I have a pint with my pals. 

My lads are 10 and 13, both have been attending matches since they were young, and have both have had ST's for a few years. We sit on the kop.

Today, my eldest rang me to say they'd been stopped after passing through the turnstiles as they didn't have an adult with them.

I was only 5 minutes away so went down to the ground where they had two female stewards stood with them.  The stewards told me that since the start of last season, the rule that any under 14s entering the ground had to have an adult with them was being enforced (not true as they've been in on their own before).

The more senior steward went on to say the rule is actually no under 16s should enter the ground without an adult but they turn a blind eye unless they are under 14.

She told me the reason was the amount of u16s pi55ed up on the North was a cause for concern.

This isn't a dig at the club or the stewards involved, just putting it on here as other parents might not be aware of the rule.

And before anybody asks, both sons were sober, not larking about and bad behaviour was not the reason they were stopped.

Safeguarding issues I suspect 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ive been to away games at 14 with a m8 same age ipswich spurs arsenal etc mid eighties .  now its sorry lads you cant come in even though you have come 160 miles on the train and on tube to ground.  some things change for the better but most for the worse.

3 hours ago, sage owl said:

At about 13 I started going with my mates ( mid 70's) at 14 I was going to coach office in pond Street after school to buy away travel.

Would  I have let my kids do the same, not a chance. 

i remember leaving school early for a night away game 14 year old , think we went to forest and man city away in 1985 ,the forest game was midweek travelled through official inter city owl coach , parents were very responsible but it was almost impossible back then to stop me going . no way though in this day and age would i let mine go on own at 14 away.

1 minute ago, Hyde2005 said:

ive been to away games at 14 with a m8 same age ipswich spurs arsenal etc mid eighties .  now its sorry lads you cant come in even though you have come 160 miles on the train and on tube to ground.  some things change for the better but most for the worse.

Not saying it's wrong, but the thought of sending my (13 year old) eldest to London on the train with his similar aged mates to an away match fills me with absolute dread. 

That said, interested to know the outcome of this because I fully expect him to go home matches with his mates in the next couple of seasons or so. 

When I was 14, I wagged the afternoon at school and went to Old Trafford for a midweek match which we drew 1-1. No questions were asked when I got on the coach and other than a copper searching my bag and confiscating my compass, I had no issue getting in.

When I got home, my mum asked where I'd been as I got home at 11:30. Told her I'd been at my mates house. It's a pity his mum had rung wondering where he was.

Busted...

• Haha 1

I started going on my own in the 90s when I was 13 with no problems.

I think it's being enforced this year, the opposite happened against Southampton with someone in front of me. The dad went in on his season ticket, kids followed but they refused them entry because an adult wasn't present. He was literally stood at the other side and the turnstile operator obviously had no understanding of English. Stewards had to intervene because the kids were stood outside the ground on thier own so Steward supervisor stood with them while the dad was shouting through the fence.