Rules on kids attending match

A few times this season I've let my two lads go into the ground without me before the match, while I have a pint with my pals. 

My lads are 10 and 13, both have been attending matches since they were young, and have both have had ST's for a few years. We sit on the kop.

Today, my eldest rang me to say they'd been stopped after passing through the turnstiles as they didn't have an adult with them.

I was only 5 minutes away so went down to the ground where they had two female stewards stood with them.  The stewards told me that since the start of last season, the rule that any under 14s entering the ground had to have an adult with them was being enforced (not true as they've been in on their own before).

The more senior steward went on to say the rule is actually no under 16s should enter the ground without an adult but they turn a blind eye unless they are under 14.

She told me the reason was the amount of u16s pi55ed up on the North was a cause for concern.

This isn't a dig at the club or the stewards involved, just putting it on here as other parents might not be aware of the rule.

And before anybody asks, both sons were sober, not larking about and bad behaviour was not the reason they were stopped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No under 16s should enter the ground without an adult?  I was 11 when I started going.  My dad had no interest in footy so I went with a school mate of the same age.  If he didn't go, I'd go on my own.   I only lived a mile away.  

I presume you've got a family ST but suppose you are ill and they still want to go?  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Supersiggi2 said:

A few times this season I've let my two lads go into the ground without me before the match, while I have a pint with my pals. 

My lads are 10 and 13, both have been attending matches since they were young, and have both have had ST's for a few years. We sit on the kop.

Today, my eldest rang me to say they'd been stopped after passing through the turnstiles as they didn't have an adult with them.

I was only 5 minutes away so went down to the ground where they had two female stewards stood with them.  The stewards told me that since the start of last season, the rule that any under 14s entering the ground had to have an adult with them was being enforced (not true as they've been in on their own before).

The more senior steward went on to say the rule is actually no under 16s should enter the ground without an adult but they turn a blind eye unless they are under 14.

She told me the reason was the amount of u16s pi55ed up on the North was a cause for concern.

This isn't a dig at the club or the stewards involved, just putting it on here as other parents might not be aware of the rule.

And before anybody asks, both sons were sober, not larking about and bad behaviour was not the reason they were stopped.

They are victims of the idiots.

• Like 5

Think I was about 14/15 when I first went without an adult. Train to meadowhall and tram to Hillsborough. 

Try and get served at the bottle bar outside the travs, get laughed at by the adults when we got turned away, and walk down to the ground via the Chinese chippy. 

Never any bother getting in the ground without an adult though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many many years ago as a 13 year old I was allowed to go to a match at Hillsborough on my own for the first time cos my Dad was in hospital.It came with a dire warning that I must not go on the Kop but stand with our usual crowd on the South Stand Terrace. My mum knew some of them and would be checking!   I must get. On the tram and come straight home afterwards ..or else I wouldn’t be going again …ever. Being scared of parental punishment ,as you were in those days, I followed instructions and paid on the turnstile with no body checking anything at all.

I was rewarded with a 7-0 home win v West Ham who were top of League Div 1.

Any one old enough to remember the year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatter said:

Many many years ago as a 13 year old I was allowed to go to a match at Hillsborough on my own for the first time cos my Dad was in hospital.It came with a dire warning that I must not go on the Kop but stand with our usual crowd on the South Stand Terrace. My mum knew some of them and would be checking!   I must get. On the tram and come straight home afterwards ..or else I wouldn’t be going again …ever. Being scared of parental punishment ,as you were in those days, I followed instructions and paid on the turnstile with no body checking anything at all.

I was rewarded with a 7-0 home win v West Ham who were top of League Div 1.

Any one old enough to remember the year?

1959. Still got that nights Greenun somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid there would be up to a dozen of us walk down from The Cross and stand on the Kop on our own. 
The juvenile turnstiles  were separate from the adult ones  for a start
 My dad sat in the North and some of the other kids had dads who has stopped going (we were rubbish) or never had. 
Another Chansiri plot to wipe out a generation of fans.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1