Best battering ram Centre forward we've had

8 hours ago, jamiej said:

Of those I’ve seen chapman. Would put his head in amongst flying boots to get on the end of a cross and had the stitches to prove it. Wasn’t the most skilled of players but got goals through bravery 

Was thinking the same. He’d had a big money move to Arsenal from Stoke that didn’t work out, went to Sunderland where we picked him up for £100k just after promotion in 1984 under Wilko. Was a regular scorer for us until we lost him 3 or 4 years later to French Club Niort for sod all.

Dooley has to be the best battering ram 

He would put their player the goalkeeper and the ball in the net 

The best all round centre forward for me was Mark Bright 

he was a right dirty basstaard but used to get away with a lot because of his smile 

26 minutes ago, Rance McGraw said:

He wasn't very good though.

I would dispute that. He was very good at Coventry and West Brom. before Howard Wilkinson signed him for us. Then at Villa after leaving us.

124 goals in 487 appearances, mostly in the old division 1.

8 goals for him in the one season for us but I remember in being hard as nails and not scared to put his head in where it hurts.

Good article about him here, with a great story about Cloughie taking the match ball off him after he scored an hat trick against Forest.

https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/weekend/2021/01/02/garry-thompsons-lucky-life-in-the-beautiful-game/

7 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I would dispute that. He was very good at Coventry and West Brom. before Howard Wilkinson signed him for us. Then at Villa after leaving us.

124 goals in 487 appearances, mostly in the old division 1.

8 goals for him in the one season for us but I remember in being hard as nails and not scared to put his head in where it hurts.

Good article about him here, with a great story about Cloughie taking the match ball off him after he scored an hat trick against Forest.

https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/weekend/2021/01/02/garry-thompsons-lucky-life-in-the-beautiful-game/

I'll modify that, then.

He wasn't very good for us.

IMO.

• Like 2