When does time start to run out for Xisco?

End of October

He's definitely not had long to put together a squad that's capable of playing a style of football that can compete at this level as we stand today. 

I find the whole MJ thing unfortunate. Unless and until we KNOW what has happened there, I think it's crazy to leap to any conclusions. If it were anything like as simple as Xisco just not rating Johnson, I could see why those that do think he'd be OK are perplexed by the whole episode. But it's clearly not that simple. Plus, many of us would argue that he's not as spritely as he was when he was last at this level and showed himself to a bit of a defensive liability even against slower League One wingers, so were disappointed that we re-signed him in the first place.

Getting upset about him "playing established players in unfamiliar roles" is also a little short-sighted, and fails to take mitigating factors into account. We don't know where each player is up to in terms of fitness nor how they're interacting in training nor coping with new methods....etc....etc... All we can do is speculate. So, as bizarre as some decisions have seemed, being certain of opinions on his team selections at this point is a bit daft really.

I certainly won't contemplate writing him off until I've seen at least ten LEAGUE games - i.e. once the final whistle blows after playing Huddersfield.

At that point, based on where the betting markets see our opponents along the way, we ought to have 6 points on the board. If we continue to see the improved performances that we have done over the last few games, I can see us getting there.

Writing him off just before we're about to face Huddersfield would be utter madness, imho. 

• Ipswich are expected to be promotion candidates. So, the fact it's at home doesn't make it an easy win.
  • Middlesborough are underperforming and expected to be midtable. They could be well up for the game against us.
  • Swansea should be beatable, but it's also an away game, so nothing to be taken for granted there.
  • Sunderland are obviously a tough side.
  • West Brom away is a tricky game for anyone in this division.
  • Even the Huddersfield game itself won't be an easy W because it's their manager's cup final.

Regardless of that harsh reality, we obviously do need some points along the way, and the longer we go without them, the more the pressure builds. But if we're back on track, with 10-12 points on the board, by the end of October, I honestly think he deserves everyone's full support... not that he'll get it! 🙄 

3rdSep.thumb.jpg.dada5d947489d825456a23b607958e1b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Only got the job because of the premier league promotion on his cv at a club that is light years ahead of us. He’s tried to change too much too soon with little substance shown so far that the changes are anyway meaningful. Some bang on about Carlos’ start, not may points to begin with granted but performances were light years ahead of the ones we’ve seen so far under this manager.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The football so far has been sh*te. We don't have the best squad but still good enough to show better than we have. 

Too negative, too defensive, with next to no attacking intent. It's been unbelievably dour and boring to watch and not effective either. 

That said, two home games coming up and opportunity to consign the previous games to history. 

I want to see us have more possession of the ball much further up the pitch, look like we have a clue what we are doing with it and create chances to score some goals.

The bar has been set unbelievably low and expect a significant improvement to change my opinion of what I've seen to date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

End of October

He's definitely not had long to put together a squad that's capable of playing a style of football that can compete at this level as we stand today. 

I find the whole MJ thing unfortunate. Unless and until we KNOW what has happened there, I think it's crazy to leap to any conclusions. If it were anything like as simple as Xisco just not rating Johnson, I could see why those that do think he'd be OK are perplexed by the whole episode. But it's clearly not that simple. Plus, many of us would argue that he's not as spritely as he was when he was last at this level and showed himself to a bit of a defensive liability even against slower League One wingers, so were disappointed that we re-signed him in the first place.

Getting upset about him "playing established players in unfamiliar roles" is also a little short-sighted, and fails to take mitigating factors into account. We don't know where each player is up to in terms of fitness nor how they're interacting in training nor coping with new methods....etc....etc... All we can do is speculate. So, as bizarre as some decisions have seemed, being certain of opinions on his team selections at this point is a bit daft really.

I certainly won't contemplate writing him off until I've seen at least ten LEAGUE games - i.e. once the final whistle blows after playing Huddersfield.

At that point, based on where the betting markets see our opponents along the way, we ought to have 6 points on the board. If we continue to see the improved performances that we have done over the last few games, I can see us getting there.

Writing him off just before we're about to face Huddersfield would be utter madness, imho. 

• Ipswich are expected to be promotion candidates. So, the fact it's at home doesn't make it an easy win.
  • Middlesborough are underperforming and expected to be midtable. They could be well up for the game against us.
  • Swansea should be beatable, but it's also an away game, so nothing to be taken for granted there.
  • Even the Huddersfield game itself won't be an easy W because it's their manager's cup final.

Regardless of that harsh reality, we obviously do need some points along the way, and the longer we go without them, the more the pressure builds. But if we're back on track, with 10-12 points on the board, by the end of October, I honestly think he deserves everyone's full support... not that he'll get it! 🙄 

Like Preston you mean?

46 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

End of October

...so the "cunning plan" is to stick with him, remain in the bottom 3 all season, before a dismal capitulation in the last month of the season which see's relegation confirmed with a whimper.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Saturday is the start of being able to judge him and his squad.  The international break has come at a great time, must start seeing some decent performances in next 5 games 

I hope we come out and look like a football team.

By the logic of the way a point at Leeds was lorded by some, we should be looking for a minimum of 4 points form two home games against a newly promoted club and the current bottom club.

Winning games buys time, but there is nowhere to hide with the current tactical set up when we don't have the comfort of points to offset turgid football.

• Like 1

If we are still winless after 10 league games then surely the chairman will be considering a change? The biggest concern is the lack of goals in the side.

We just don't look like a side that can score enough goals to win games at the moment. I for one was shocked we weren't able to bring another striker into the club before the deadline passed. 

• Like 2