Jump to content

Fine Margins


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, George Whitebread said:

A single goal, one way or the other, shouldn't tip our opinions from thinking a game has gone OK to either terribly or brilliantly. Results / points-earned might be limited to those three options; but that's a very low-resolution way of looking at it. Earning an away point against a side chasing promotion is worth raising a glass to; but, if we're honest, the performance was only marginally better than the previous few games, in which we were unlucky not to take a point or two. 

It's a good point this. On performance we probably deserve one point overall from Cardiff away.

What is important is that we get momentum and confidence and real points prove to ourselves that his 'method' - Mouseball - will scrape us some points together away from home 

Now he need to develop Lionball at home. Cos I'm fizzed if I'm backing the way we played against Southampton and Preston at home.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don’t like talking about luck in football but it is game of luck at times.  We were lucky that Leeds didn’t put their 4-5 chances beyond Vasquez, as they did at Ipswich in their last game.  
 

But likewise,  they and Cardiff were lucky that Windass didn’t have one of his occasional days where he can actually shoot like a striker.  

You can say that your chances of success increase with the better players, though Leeds had £30m+ forwards in their team and they had the same shooting success as Windass yesterday. 
 

What is obvious is we need to be more clinical upfront,  with the fewer chances we will create in a game compared to our opponents we need our strikers to take the chances.  
 

That’s the worry we have,  will Windass, Smith and Gregory take the chances at this level.  
 

im not sure they will, so I’d like us to sign a free agent like Gray, Morelos or Ayew to increase our chances in games 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

 the performance was only marginally better than the previous few games, in which we were unlucky not to take a point or two. 

 


 If we carry on improving as we have done in the last four games (inc. Mansfield),
 

 

We need more than marginal improvements. The defence is reasonable but we are toothless and we now have to go with the attackers we have..

 

Did we improve at Mansfield? Seriously? A team that is doing ok in L2. We drew with them, if that is improving we have a very long way to go.

 

Munoz is slowl to realise Bannan isn't a number 10, still thinks Gregory is a midfielder/winger, plays Delgado on the left where he has to cut back onto his right to deliver a cross and refuses to play a LWB who is competent or the only left sided player we have who can cross a ball.

 

I've not given up on Munoz, we all know what the real issue at the club is, but he is still trying to shoehorn players into his system rather than playing to the squads strengths. He needs to work with what he has got not what he wishes he had.

 

Sorry to burst your bubble, it was a good point yesterday but it was taken against a mid table Leeds team.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fine margins indeed. It was a game where 80% of the time we’d lose it playing like that but bizarrely had good chances to win it too.

 

I think that point may have, temporarily at least, saved XM his job as zero points going into an international break would have put massive pressure on DC to do something given the transfer window has shut (and have created a meltdown on here).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Fine margins indeed. It was a game where 80% of the time we’d lose it playing like that but bizarrely had good chances to win it too.

 

I think that point may have, temporarily at least, saved XM his job as zero points going into an international break would have put massive pressure on DC to do something given the transfer window has shut (and have created a meltdown on here).

Just FYI ……… Meltdowns on here don’t mean anything……. To anyone……. Anywhere!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree about the fine margins and luck....so logically you'd expect things to turn.

 

However what you find in reality is that the relegated teams always seem to be unlucky where as the promoted teams often seem to be lucky.

 

Also a team might lose by fine margins however it's easier said than done improving by 10% so a team doesn't lose by fine margins. What I would say is that no manager or team can be judged properly until they've had at least 10 games.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nero said:

It's a good point this. On performance we probably deserve one point overall from Cardiff away.

What is important is that we get momentum and confidence and real points prove to ourselves that his 'method' - Mouseball - will scrape us some points together away from home 

Now he need to develop Lionball at home. Cos I'm fizzed if I'm backing the way we played against Southampton and Preston at home.

Here what you are saying but a bit of context required.

 

Both those games played when half the squad didn't even know each others names. 

 

Playing Southampton at that point was hugely bad timing. They've unloaded, what? 150 million of talent since??? and we nearly scraped a point.

 

I wouldn't class yesterday's performance as "Mouseball" whatever that is. I thought we dug in and got a great point, and could have snatched it. 

 

I'm very upbeat about our prospects and also liked what I saw in how the players and Xisco seem to interact. They seem to like him which is always a good sign. 

 

Maybe the negativity among our fanbase has got SO ingrained, that we are now unable to take ANY positives out of anything. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, prowl said:

We need more than marginal improvements. The defence is reasonable but we are toothless and we now have to go with the attackers we have..

 

Did we improve at Mansfield? Seriously? A team that is doing ok in L2. We drew with them, if that is improving we have a very long way to go.

 

Munoz is slowl to realise Bannan isn't a number 10, still thinks Gregory is a midfielder/winger, plays Delgado on the left where he has to cut back onto his right to deliver a cross and refuses to play a LWB who is competent or the only left sided player we have who can cross a ball.

 

I've not given up on Munoz, we all know what the real issue at the club is, but he is still trying to shoehorn players into his system rather than playing to the squads strengths. He needs to work with what he has got not what he wishes he had.

 

Sorry to burst your bubble, it was a good point yesterday but it was taken against a mid table Leeds team.

 

Indeed we do need more than marginal improvements, and our ability to score is a concern. 

 

We did improve against Mansfield, yes. We dominated possession until we scored, and should have had another 3 or 4 in the first half alone. Then, complacency set in and we let them back in. Had that slackening off been in a league game, it would be a huge concern. But it was a just a training game really, so meh.

 

Munoz was trying to see what worked and what didn't when he arrived (still a WIP) and hoped he could find a way for Bannan to get on the ball in more advanced areas. I'm not sure the intention was ever for him to actually play as a no.10, as such though. 

 

He doesn't "think Gregory is a midfielder/winger". He just trusts him to do a job while he's getting others up to speed. I doubt he'll be asked to do the same after the international break. 

 

He plays Delgado on the left because we failed to sign a LB, LWB, LM or LW. He has to share some of the blame for that, I guess. But he doesn't hold the purse strings or get involved with negotiations (as far as I'm aware).

 

I'm not sure why he doesn't play James. But Blackpool didn't fancy him at this level, so maybe he's not as good as I think he is? One concern might be that he's not robust enough in 1 v 1 situations. I'm not sure.

 

I don't think Johnson is good enough though. And at nearly 33, he's more likely to deteriorate than improve. Whether that's all there is to it with Xisco (maybe he's not working hard enough in training or something), who knows?!

 

Out of interest, aside from Johnson, which of the squads strengths do you think are currently not being used.

 

Leeds are indeed a "mid-table team" as things stand. As long as you're applying the same logic to our results against top of the league Preston, play-off place Hull, and in a couple of weeks time when we face 2nd place Ipswich. I'm not sure the current league table tells all at this early stage though, personally. 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, striker said:

Fine margins between losing and drawing games won't keep us up. 

 

We still look a million miles away from winning a game of football. Good point, yes, but being so negative and defensive isn't a template for staying in this league. 

 

"million miles" seems a tad hyperbolic. But we do need to start creating more chances. 

 

Hopefully, Hendricks and Buckley have some ideas on that one.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

Maybe the negativity among our fanbase has got SO ingrained, that we are now unable to take ANY positives out of anything. 

 

It certainly feels like that, atm. 

 

But, maybe that's because we come on here, a forum that many of us used to get frustrations off our chests. It's probably not all that representative of the wider fanbase. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A defeat yesterday and the manager is seriously under pressure. 
 

The point we got could be so important for mentality - before yesterday we didn’t know we could win a point at this level. The players get a big round of applause from the away end and a boost to their confidence. 
 

We just can’t slip back in to being a nearly team - or we’ll go down. 
 

Away games = do as yesterday, maybe nick a goal 

 

Home form needs to improve. We need to go at teams. We need the right personnel though. But do we have it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Message sent to me by a friend of mine following yesterday’s game - he’s a Leeds season ticket holder and goes home and away.

 

image.jpeg.e7d494f3cc8ff158873bd84b5346d71e.jpeg

Well he's got that bang on, and fine margins or not, we can't just rely on a solid defence, we're going to need something up front other than Gregory and Smith.

 

They were brought in to do a job in league one, which they did well, but if we're going to do anything in this league I think we need something more.

 

Hopefully one of the new signings or even one of of the youngsters can step up.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good deal of the time, football supporters, journalists and pundits just can't bring themselves to accept the obvious truth. Even people paid relatively handsomely for this, often don't seem to me to be producing anything especially insightful or astute. For reasons that still bemuse me somewhat, they like to maintain the myth that it is an entirely mechanical process; completely controllable and predictable. No matter how many games confound this simplistic pretence, they rigidly stick to it. Pick this fellow, select such a formation, use those substitutions, shout and wave your arms around on the sideline to that extent...

 

It would be interesting to replay full games to fans with the goals removed and see how successful they would be predicting the outcome. Despite the self-asserted expertise observers routinely assume for themselves, I imagine they would be wrong far more often than they ought to be comfortable with. But I doubt it would challenge their view of themselves. Often, the final score alone goes a long way to define how the practically infinite variables that went into it are interpreted. Second guessing is the easiest thing in the universe. Anyone can look wise by noting something that wasn't done and suggesting that was the solution, especially when there is no way to demonstrate after the fact that it might actually be catastrophically wrong. 

 

Incredibly, even though they make up 50% of the contest, the opponents are routinely dismissed as little more than an irrelevance in all of this. And God forbid that we acknowledge that chance and circumstance are often the twelfth player, no matter that they never fail to show themselves. This is not to suggest that we shouldn't offer our opinions, or that it's basically impossible to be correct, but I think a huge dose of humility and perspective is required before presenting them as stridently as we do.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Home form needs to improve. We need to go at teams. We need the right personnel though. But do we have it. 

 

 

So far our home games have been against the leagues most in-form side (top of the league Preston) and another tipped for automatic promotion even after selling players for over £100M (at least a couple of which were directly involved in the goals they scored against us). 

 

Let's see how we do against 2nd in the league promotion candidates Ipswich 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

 

"million miles" seems a tad hyperbolic. But we do need to start creating more chances. 

 

Hopefully, Hendricks and Buckley have some ideas on that one.

Hopefully, but who do they replace, I wouldn't be dropping Bannan or Byers for either of them.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...