Jump to content

Formation and starting 11


Recommended Posts

It's not rocket science.. the idea is to play to the players strengths. We have to go to 3-5-2... I'm not convinced the 2 new left sided wingers are ready just yet and may need a few cameo roles and cup games to get them used to the championship. Preston snuffed both of them out... Delgado had more success down the right for me and looked decent. I think James needs a run down the left... people shouting for MJ... not convinced he has the legs for the championship and certainy doesn't go past people anymore.

Bannan looks like a lost soul and needs to be sitting deeper next to Byers in a triangle with Diaby heading it to link up with a front two of Windass and Gregory.

 

Screenshot_20230820_094621_Samsung Internet.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HopefulOwl said:

It's not rocket science.. the idea is to play to the players strengths. We have to go to 3-5-2... I'm not convinced the 2 new left sided wingers are ready just yet and may need a few cameo roles and cup games to get them used to the championship. Preston snuffed both of them out... Delgado had more success down the right for me and looked decent. I think James needs a run down the left... people shouting for MJ... not convinced he has the legs for the championship and certainy doesn't go past people anymore.

Bannan looks like a lost soul and needs to be sitting deeper next to Byers in a triangle with Diaby heading it to link up with a front two of Windass and Gregory.

 

Screenshot_20230820_094621_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dawson in goal, Smith for Gregory, and Palmer at Right wing back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We are not going to play 3-5-2

 

He’s not signing players to play 3-5-2.

 

Last seasons squad would get relegated playing 3-5-2 in the Championship.

 

Everybody is talking like last season we were Man City.

 

 

We’re going down with this squad playing the systems XM has used so far, that’s for sure.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Last seasons squad would get relegated playing 3-5-2 in the Championship.

 

This season's squad playing whatever they're trying to play will get relegated from the Championship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HopefulOwl said:

It's not rocket science.. the idea is to play to the players strengths. We have to go to 3-5-2... I'm not convinced the 2 new left sided wingers are ready just yet and may need a few cameo roles and cup games to get them used to the championship. Preston snuffed both of them out... Delgado had more success down the right for me and looked decent. I think James needs a run down the left... people shouting for MJ... not convinced he has the legs for the championship and certainy doesn't go past people anymore.

Bannan looks like a lost soul and needs to be sitting deeper next to Byers in a triangle with Diaby heading it to link up with a front two of Windass and Gregory.

 

Screenshot_20230820_094621_Samsung Internet.jpg

Palmer for Delgado.

If Momo isn’t fit, then vaulks.

That set up has a chance at Cardiff to get a point.

At home I’d be more attack minded with Johnson for James and Smith for Windass.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HopefulOwl said:

It's not rocket science.. the idea is to play to the players strengths. We have to go to 3-5-2... I'm not convinced the 2 new left sided wingers are ready just yet and may need a few cameo roles and cup games to get them used to the championship. Preston snuffed both of them out... Delgado had more success down the right for me and looked decent. I think James needs a run down the left... people shouting for MJ... not convinced he has the legs for the championship and certainy doesn't go past people anymore.

Bannan looks like a lost soul and needs to be sitting deeper next to Byers in a triangle with Diaby heading it to link up with a front two of Windass and Gregory.

 

Screenshot_20230820_094621_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’d play Johnson over James - agree with his legs but he’s creative something we don’t have. 
 

But your right it’s simple play that formation and integrate the new players into it over time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We are not going to play 3-5-2

 

He’s not signing players to play 3-5-2.

 

Last seasons squad would get relegated playing 3-5-2 in the Championship.

 

Everybody is talking like last season we were Man City.

 

 

But this seasons said playing anything other than 352 will go down with a wimper.

 

Play that team and integrate what we hope are better players into it and hopefully we’ll have enough to stay up. 
 

We weren’t that good I agree with you, but we’re worse off now in all honesty, let’s try to survive doing what they know rather than trying to survive doing something there not capable of.

 

352 is the only way forward this year 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Diaby is not an 8, he’s a 6 and in that first half he looked like he may be a decent one at that. 

Forgetting numbers for a minute. He looked to me liked he'd be the one bursting from a midfield 3 of Him, Bannan and Byers... he had a few decent runs breaking forward which we haven't seen for a long time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

But this seasons said playing anything other than 352 will go down with a wimper.

 

Play that team and integrate what we hope are better players into it and hopefully we’ll have enough to stay up. 
 

We weren’t that good I agree with you, but we’re worse off now in all honesty, let’s try to survive doing what they know rather than trying to survive doing something there not capable of.

 

352 is the only way forward this year 

Totally agree... 352 yesterday with fewer new players starting and 2 up top or 1 off Gregory and we win yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had to take what we had last season, bring in some quality, pace and tweek some things, hopefully to score a few more goals and build from that.

 

We had to get the best out of the players we had and work from that.

 

Instead we are kicking them out, for potentially players that are no better, we have literally took a sledgehammer to everything and smashed it as hard as we could.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HopefulOwl said:

Forgetting numbers for a minute. He looked to me liked he'd be the one bursting from a midfield 3 of Him, Bannan and Byers... he had a few decent runs breaking forward which we haven't seen for a long time.


I don’t mean literally. The numbers represent roles and are commonly used to do so when discussing tactics. Diaby is a defensive midfielder (a No 6) and if we start to see him employed the No 8 role you describe then Munoz really has lost his sh!t at that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sykes said:

 

This season's squad playing whatever they're trying to play will get relegated from the Championship.

So we’d be relegated whatever we do? 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3-5-2 is the formation where we can get all our best players on the pitch - most notably Windass and Bannan. Also need to get Smith on the pitch - he’s our top scorer. 


Windass and Bazza can’t play together in this formation Xisco is playing. The two young lads out wide could be promising, but Musabe looks very raw to me and without being too harsh Gassama looked like a fish out of water in his cameo. If we play this system Xisco is persevering with, these two are crucial to it. And I don’t think either are ready just yet.

 

Has to play to our strengths

 

Dawson

 

Iorfa Ihiekwe Palmer

 

Delgado Byers M.Diaby Bannan Johnson

 

Windass Smith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Morepork said:


I don’t mean literally. The numbers represent roles and are commonly used to do so when discussing tactics. Diaby is a defensive midfielder (a No 6) and if we start to see him employed the No 8 role you describe then Munoz really has lost his sh!t at that point.

Get what you're saying but he looks like he has the energy and strength to be box to box... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We are not going to play 3-5-2

 

He’s not signing players to play 3-5-2.

 

Last seasons squad would get relegated playing 3-5-2 in the Championship.

 

Everybody is talking like last season we were Man City.

 

 

No we don’t go down with the squad/system we had last year - where has this narrative emerged from?

 

I know we wobbled at the end of the season but we still got 96 points last season (Behind Ipswich who have won 3 games so far and Plymouth who have got 4 points), looking solid for the majority of games - we’d have comfortably beaten teams like Rotherham, Hull etc last season.

 

I understand people want to move past Moore’s time here but the delusional of trying to say that he would be doing the same as Xisco right now is infuriating.

 

Moore runs rings around Xisco as a manager and it’s pretty plain to see.

 

Moore would have at least gotten something from the Hull and/or Preston game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We are not going to play 3-5-2

 

He’s not signing players to play 3-5-2.

 

Last seasons squad would get relegated playing 3-5-2 in the Championship.

 

Everybody is talking like last season we were Man City.

 

 

We would have finished 15th - 20th with out any additions, with additions then definitely 15th.

This squad has relegation stamped all way through it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Defensively we are getting there. Preston, who are a solid mid table Champ team created next to nothing.

 

As we know, our problem is offensive and can be broken down to two issues:

 

1. Smith and Gregory are ‘post up’ back to goal strikers. This is a problem as it is easy for the opposition to close down the space. Equally, if we only play one of them, they simply put 2 defenders on him, so even when posting up, your chances of a successful outcome are low. If we are going to play long ball, put two strikers there, tell them to stay no more than 10 yards apart and take them on physically. Win the battle, hold the ball til the midfield arrives and then lay it off.

2. We are not getting up the pitch quick enough to support the attack. Two reasons for this, we keep hitting too many long balls, so never have a chance of getting up there; we are not fit enough in midfield, or we are playing the wrong formation. To exaggerate the point, if we are going to play long ball, go 424 so you have players in areas of the pitch where the ball is. On the fitness front, unfortunately we do have to be patient. Palmer, Byers, Diaby and to an extent Musaba need games to get match fit and we can’t really call them out, it’s just timing.

 

So, it’s one of two things. A. We are going to hit it long. B. We are going to play through the midfield. At present, we are selecting a team to play it through the midfield and then playing it long far too frequently.

 

In football and especially in the Champ, I definitely prefer a back four. Sunderland schooled us on that in the playoffs. In a back four, the defenders, including fullbacks are there to defend. People slating Famewo are wrong for me. In a back four, he is there to defend and is doing well. On the right, we either persist with Palmer to get him fit, or my preference would be to drop Delgado in there. However, given our lack of options in midfield at present, especially with Mo’s injury, we need to go to a back three. I see it as temporary, but we have to do this, to push our full backs, now wingbacks, higher up the pitch to support the attack. Taking into account our CURRENT position, I would go:

 

…………………………Vas

………….Iorfa……Diaby……..Famewo

Delgado………….Vaulks……………James

……….Windass…..Byers……Bannan

………………..Fletcher…Smith/Greggs

 

This is purely til we sign a quality striker and get our midfield fit and comfortable in possession.

 

…………….…………Vas

Delgado…..Iorfa…….Diaby…..Famewo

………………………Mo

……….Byers…………………….Baz

……………Twine equivalent

………Quality striker…Windass

 

The back five defend, the front five attack. The full backs and the midfield transition.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...