Sammy Robinson

I thought he was impressive... showed that aggression and directness that you'd wish Mighten would do but never does, allied to good technique and pace. Not going to get carried away after seeing him for a half a game but it's rare an opposition sub comes on and makes such an impact; he completely had the beating of Johnson and even bamboozled James a couple of times.

Was also shocked to read he started as a centre-back - size-wise he made Reece James look like Ben Heneghan. As a wing-back or wide midfielder though he looks a great prospect if last night is any indicator. Looking at his wikipedia page he was a great prospect at Man City and England youth levels then got a really bad injury two years ago and is rebuilding his career at Vale. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Liked the look of him, not the finished product by any means but certainly got summat about him

Always makes me smile that kinda quote !!  What is the finished product ?  If and it is an if we was to go for him it wouldn’t be for development !! It would be to start, so he is the finished product !! #uto 

14 minutes ago, Owl said:

Always makes me smile that kinda quote !!  What is the finished product ?  If and it is an if we was to go for him it wouldn’t be for development !! It would be to start, so he is the finished product !! #uto 

He’s only 20 and hasn’t played much professional football, plenty of room for him to develop further by playing regularly. I’d say the “finished product” would be a player in their late 20s who’s got a couple of hundred games or more under their belt, e.g. Smith, Vaulks, Ihiekwe, etc

• Thanks 1

Guest I Love Coffee

Really, he has played CB? He was very short!

Him coming on certainly turned the momentum for them, but there was no way they were going to allow us to dominate like the first half.

Very surprised by the CB comments. Looked way better going forward. But a lot of that was because at first we sat off him. 

Once we realized he could be a threat and paid him more attention I though Johnson had him in his pocket. 

A prospect for sure, if Could be got on a free 

22 minutes ago, I Love Coffee said:

Him coming on certainly turned the momentum for them, but there was no way they were going to allow us to dominate like the first half.

Their manager changed things at half time and brought the 2 subs on.

Something I wish DM would do at times but he's stuck in his ways and doesn't make early subs. 

They should have equalised when Harrison I think it was, missed that sitter, laid on by Robinson . It might have been a different  game if he had put that away..

• Like 1

Guest I Love Coffee
Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Their manager changed things at half time and brought the 2 subs on.

Something I wish DM would do at times but he's stuck in his ways and doesn't make early subs. 

They should have equalised when Harrison I think it was, missed that sitter, laid on by Robinson . It might have been a different  game if he had put that away..

They were well ontop until we scored against the run of play. After thet they kind of gave up and offered no threat again.

If they could bottle up what they did for the first part of the second half and play like that all the time, they would be a strong side.

3 hours ago, Pieman said:

Thought he looked useful last night. Very tidy with the ball and had an aggressive streak in him. 20 years old and like Fizz, came from Man City and only 6 months left on his contract. Would add to our squad and loads of room to improve. He has also played CB. 

He showed Mighten how it should be done, and would be an improvement on him.

1 minute ago, I Love Coffee said:

They were well ontop until we scored against the run of play. After thet they kind of gave up and offered no threat again.

If they could bottle up what they did for the first part of the second half and play like that all the time, they would be a strong side.

The manager changed their formation at half time from 3-5-2 to 3-4-3 and they looked better for it. Robinson also made a difference. 

The 2nd half was pretty even and only a wonder goal out of nothing from Smith was the difference. 

1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

He’s only 20 and hasn’t played much professional football, plenty of room for him to develop further by playing regularly. I’d say the “finished product” would be a player in their late 20s who’s got a couple of hundred games or more under their belt, e.g. Smith, Vaulks, Ihiekwe, etc

If you’re good enough, the age doesn’t matter !!  #uto 

2 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Also, didn’t the Vale fans have a song for him? 

Any sub that has their own song makes you worry… so yeah must be good. 

We had a song for Abdi, and he never played !!  #uto