Palmer - McGuinness - James

Next week we could be looking at Palmer, Paterson, James as a back 3, seems Famewo is never getting a look in! If he's not fit why is he on the bench? Thought after their sub winger ripped Johnson apart and he picked up the booking it was a no brainer to bring Famewo on and move James to Lwb...

• Like 1

They were impressive last night. As they have been individually all season.

I think having Palmer and James - two more natural full backs - playing in the wide centre back positions comes into its own in home games where we'll have more possession. Would I want them there when playing away at the more physical, direct teams - I'm not so sure. And there's definitely a shout to bring Ihiekwe back in and move Palmer back to RWB given he's the only one who's performed well there this season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

Next week we could be looking at Palmer, Paterson, James as a back 3, seems Famewo is never getting a look in! If he's not fit why is he on the bench? Thought after their sub winger ripped Johnson apart and he picked up the booking it was a no brainer to bring Famewo on and move James to Lwb...

I had a similar thought, but equally Moore may not have wanted to disrupt a back three that was playing so well. 

I think Famewo is just having to bide his time as the left-hand side of our defence has improved with McGuinness and James doing ever so well and Johnson's form improving slightly. That whole area of the pitch is looking more secure than it did earlier in the season.

4 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I had a similar thought, but equally Moore may not have wanted to disrupt a back three that was playing so well. 

I think Famewo is just having to bide his time as the left-hand side of our defence has improved with McGuinness and James doing ever so well and Johnson's form improving slightly. That whole area of the pitch is looking more secure than it did earlier in the season.

But surely everyone can see Johnson hasn't improved at all? His crossing last night was woeful again, and defensively after that winger came on he was an absolute liability.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All three are comfortable on the ball which helps.

Couple of wayward passes from Liam second half, but generally speaking he's a solid passer and always looks comfortable with the ball at his feet.

James is a very neat and tidy footballer and is remarkably good in the air for his height.

Mcguiness is just a class act.

Agree though that we need to be getting Liam back at RWB. Either that, or Hunty starts to show some form.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

But surely everyone can see Johnson hasn't improved at all? His crossing last night was woeful again, and defensively after that winger came on he was an absolute liability.

Thought after he got his measure Johnson dealt with him quite well 

Johnson has obviously been asked to play a bit deeper which has affected his game but much better last couple of games I thought 

• Like 2

McGuinness-Palmer-James shouldn't work, but it does.

Adding Dawson/Stockdale to the options when we are in possession gives us an extra centre back when playing out.

Maybe we are going back to the sixties style of play with one centre half and fullbacks covering?

3 hours ago, thekimmyowl said:

I think Ihiekwe waltzes bak into Palmers position andLiam moves out to Rwb

makes us much better 

That would certainly solve the massive headache having to play Mighten at RWB