Midfield without Bannan

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

Without Bannan you can play two in cm. I agree with an earlier post in that the wingbacks are our biggest problem.

I can’t remember much penetration from either Johnson or Mighten. They both look so vulnerable defensively.

Hopefully he’s not out too long . After Cambridge we don’t have another league game whilst the 14th of jan which is a few weeks away . If that’s too soon then hopefully he’s back for the run of Barnsley Plymouth and Ipswich games which are back end of jan / early feb time . That would give him around 4-5 weeks 

10 minutes ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

Without Bannan you can play two in cm. I agree with an earlier post in that the wingbacks are our biggest problem.

I can’t remember much penetration from either Johnson or Mighten. They both look so vulnerable defensively.

I think Mighten particularly isn’t a wing back . Got to be getting hunt back there fit and firing or palmer . On the left I think Johnson does ok tbh . Only option is James lwb and famewo lcb but James has done so well at lcb may seem a waste 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, I think that's maybe where Windass is at his most comfortable, as he can drift between the lines but also use his pace to break beyond the front two at times.

Oddly, he's not actually contributed as many assists from there compared to when he's played up top so far this season, though...

267662368_Screenshot2022-12-30at07_44_53.png.6f94ebff5c084f931a552d2fb0d88527.png

Dele-Bashiru should be a real threat in that advanced midfield role too, but he's not notched a single assist in the league so far, and he's probably more likely to dribble through a packed defence and create something for himself than he is to pick a defence-splitting pass and create a chance for his teammates. 

The ace in the pack could be Adeniran, though - he's a quality player, and one who offers a real attacking threat. If Bannan is out for a while, he could have returned to the squad at just the right time. He's a very different player, but he could offer us a bit of drive and forward impetus.

Looks like he had a great game when he played right midfield. He'd be better there than Mighten. That would give us a lot more of a threat.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

What to do?

First, hats off to the team last night. Bannan was pulling every string and his departure at 0-0 could have derailed us, so to go onto a 2-0 was excellent.

Assuming we (PLEASE PLEASE DARREN!!) stick to the sumptuously satisfying successful 352 who plays?

Byers - doh. Though he needs to miss the first man with his crosses.

Bakinson and Vaulks have been very moderate recently. In fact Bakinson has been right off it.

Dennis - what a difference he could make. His body is clearly an issue but what a player when he’s fit! Even if we only get him while Baz is out, what a difference he would make.

And Fiz….seems to be the current Marmite for fans. I rate him highly, but yes he’s frustrating. Should do more than he does with that immense talent, but still I’d have him in ahead of some of the other choices.

And what about Windass? I despise him playing up top (you don’t say?) but if Baz is out could he be the answer in the advanced role in a three? Trouble is if he’s got his greedy head on he’ll starve the strikers of chances with his ridiculous 25 yarders , and they are already feeding off scraps. 

Vaulks

Fiz Byers

Fiz Byers

Windass

Dennis Byers Fiz

I’m usually quite definite with my wish-list but honestly this is a struggle. Apart from Byers and Bannan no midfielder has grabbed the shirt all season. 

Coch on the block….Dennis Byers Fiz

You?

Fizz hasn't been at the game for his last few appearances, I thought with BB being injured for the last few games, this would be his chance to break through and take control of games, saddly it seem's that it isn't.

He was a luxury player last night, walking around looking lost.

Maybe he has had his head turned, but he is not the same player we saw at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tough decisions. I just don't rate Vaulks, Bakinson or Dele so far 

There is also Pato though who Moore has played in the 3 before (I think?)

Honestly I'm praying we get in the loan market and get a highly skilled, fast youngster in for the CAM. Teams are terrified when players fun at them, something of which we don't have enough of

When fit: Byers, Vaulks and Bannan

Without Bannan: Byers, Vaulks, Adeniran

If Adeniran's not fit, try Windass but I'm not keen on that because he would play further forward leaving only 2 in midfield.

If that doesn't work then Byers, Vaulks and Bakinson

Pato would be an option if Smith and Gregory were both fit

Last night was more evidence that FDBs best position is as an impact sub

Vaulks and Byers are possibly the best natural 6 and 8 combination we have in the club. I dont see this as weakening us from a defensive perspective or from controlling a game

Obviously the best 10 (and 😎 is Bannan so replacing the no. 10 role is the key. 

Maybe Windass can do a job at 10 against Cambridge but he isnt positionally good in our own half. Probably FDB in a tight game but he seems not to be taking any responsibility on at the moment. Easy pass every time.

Bakinson probably cant do a 10 role -  Dennis neither hes an 8 but i think could play RWB

I think we have to give Fizz a run at it in a 3-5-2. Or change up to 3-4-3 and play wide strikers.

• Like 1

Perfectly happy with Vaulks, Fizz and Byers as first choice in BB absence. They did well last night 

Bakinson, Dennis and Shipston as back up. Should be good enough at this level. 
What I personally don’t want to see is Windass in BB role. BB reads the game really well and is selfless with his passing. Windass is the exact opposite. 
I also hope DM resists the temptation to constantly chop and change to find the answer. Consistent selection and partnerships are important 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

What to do?

First, hats off to the team last night. Bannan was pulling every string and his departure at 0-0 could have derailed us, so to go onto a 2-0 was excellent.

Assuming we (PLEASE PLEASE DARREN!!) stick to the sumptuously satisfying successful 352 who plays?

Byers - doh. Though he needs to miss the first man with his crosses.

Bakinson and Vaulks have been very moderate recently. In fact Bakinson has been right off it.

Dennis - what a difference he could make. His body is clearly an issue but what a player when he’s fit! Even if we only get him while Baz is out, what a difference he would make.

And Fiz….seems to be the current Marmite for fans. I rate him highly, but yes he’s frustrating. Should do more than he does with that immense talent, but still I’d have him in ahead of some of the other choices.

And what about Windass? I despise him playing up top (you don’t say?) but if Baz is out could he be the answer in the advanced role in a three? Trouble is if he’s got his greedy head on he’ll starve the strikers of chances with his ridiculous 25 yarders , and they are already feeding off scraps. 

Vaulks

Fiz Byers

Fiz Byers

Windass

Dennis Byers Fiz

I’m usually quite definite with my wish-list but honestly this is a struggle. Apart from Byers and Bannan no midfielder has grabbed the shirt all season. 

Coch on the block….Dennis Byers Fiz

You?

A bit harsh on Byers there with your “doh” comment. He kept our midfield ticking over really well, was effective with his passing, put some great tackles in and covered some ground. That midfield without Byers is half as effective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Good OP. 

I am on a bit of a crusade at the minute with this one. Our issue is the wide players in the 5. Their lack of penetration and in the case of Marv, the amount of times he turns the ball over, is affecting our play. For me Famewo in at LCB freeing James to move to LWB. Pick Hunt and see if he can re-create his form of last year. This strengthens our midfield, meaning we can have more flair in the middle. Byers is guaranteed. Vaulks or Bako against more physical sides or away from home. Dennis or Fizz when we want to be more attacking. Then, Windass as the attacking central mid. Of course Baz is a big loss, but this team will be very hard to beat.

This. James has been outstanding going forward. I'd prefer to see him at LWB than Johnson at the moment.

Now Femewo is back I would do just that.

Leave McGuiness where he is at his imperious best and I'd look to bring in another RCB so that Palmer and Hunt can have a bun fight over RWB.

Mighten should go back to Forest. He's too lightweight in that role and does not protect the ball well. Also very little going forward.

Maybe a striker and cover in mid if FDB goes.

9 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Playing FDB at the moment is like playing Reach the season we were relegated, more of a hinderence than a help.

We all know what they can do but are not showing the commitment or effort required. 

Can't believe more don't see this, absolute passenger for 90% of the game last night, if he's going we shouldn't be playing him 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shandypants said:

A bit harsh on Byers there with your “doh” comment. He kept our midfield ticking over really well, was effective with his passing, put some great tackles in and covered some ground. That midfield without Byers is half as effective. 

He is also doing the defensive work of FDB whilst not being 100%

Looked totally knackered before being subbed last night 

• Love 1

Baz was obviously still struggling from a couple of weeks ago. Playing injured players is mental. Baz is the type to say he's good to go but with all the medical equipment,tests etc the medical team should be pulling the strings. Now he's looking like a long term injury. 

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

My “doh” was “obviously Byers would play”. Super player.

At my age I should avoid street talk and emojis. I haven’t a clue.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 2

Vaulks - Byers

Dele-Bashiru

...for me.

Byers is the most similar to fulfil Bannan's role. Vaulks did very well last night, and probably needs a good run of games to get himself in form.

And FDB showed last night how valuable he is, in terms of linking play and initiating the high press...not to mention his ridiculous strength and technical ability.

Windass has been woeful since September, and unlike FDB, if he's contributing nothing in terms of goals/assists, he offers very little to the side.

Of course, this is dependent upon FDB been with us come January. Great opportunity for him to get a good run of games under his belt though.