Statman and Robin - can't fool us

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is repeatedly being posted but I wholeheartedly disagree with it

I think it's too easy to say this and if you break it down and look at what's happened over the years, Darren Moore being third in the league and ten games unbeaten in the last ten games but having a blip due to losing key players can't be what's responsible for these apoplectic rages of panic and anger we're seeing in some fans

I think it's deeper than that

I don't even really believe that's it's 100% football related in any way either - I think the current cost of living crisis, price rises, christmas approaching, constant bad news in the news etc all contribute to people lashing out like they are doing

Some good points there pal I do think part of it is that . I know me personally im

sick of us being in league one and can’t wait for the day we get back up to the championship and hopefully kick on.

if Moore takes us up a lot of the criticism will drop off , if he doesn’t unfortunately I don’t think he will get another season . 

If somebody said to a Wednesday fan back in July you are going to be 3rd at Xmas in touching distance of the top 2 would you have taken it ? I would . I feel the aim is top 2 so I wouldn’t have snatched the hand off for it but I would have took it as a sort of solid position going into the second half . 

2 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

If somebody said to a Wednesday fan back in July you are going to be 3rd at Xmas in touching distance of the top 2 would you have taken it ? I would

Everyone would yes
Especially if you threw in all the other stats and facts around our team at the moment from unbeaten run to number of goals scored this year and number of clean sheets recently

We're going good

Just need to finish the job second half of the season - and we will

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, graz gp said:

We need to play at a higher tempo, with the squad we have we should not be on the back foot, we should be attacking teams. I think that's what a lot of fans want to see. Then if we lose the odd game fans will except that. We give teams to much respect and DM sets us up not to lose. In DM eyes it's  working 10 games unbeaten. So it's take your choice, if we get promoted DM will be proven right, if not he will get the sack. Uto

Is that the problem though we always refer to this squad this and this squad that .

Sometimes you can have great players individually but do they have the right balance to make a team . Are they individuals? Is there a good blend of qualities over the pitch ? (Pace , skill , energy , desire , passion , etc ) 

we need to start finding a more consistent 11 with just the odd change not 3/4 . 

I certainly think pace is one thing we aren’t blessed with attacking wise 

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Everyone would yes
Especially if you threw in all the other stats and facts around our team at the moment from unbeaten run to number of goals scored this year and number of clean sheets recently

We're going good

Yes that’s true if you take that into account and not the performances then fair enough . The last 3 performances have been pretty awful though . Appreciate 3 games isn’t a lot but it’s certainly concerning . But yes let’s hope it’s been our blip and a clean slate , get baz and Byers back and keep them fit and crack on now . Absolutely no reason we can’t get top 2.

the key to automatic is consistency . We haven’t been that recently but let’s try to get back to it

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is repeatedly being posted but I wholeheartedly disagree with it

I think it's too easy to say this and if you break it down and look at what's happened over the years, Darren Moore being third in the league and ten games unbeaten in the last ten games but having a blip due to losing key players can't be what's responsible for these apoplectic rages of panic and anger we're seeing in some fans

I think it's deeper than that

I don't even really believe that's it's 100% football related in any way either - I think the current cost of living crisis, price rises, christmas approaching, constant bad news in the news etc all contribute to people lashing out like they are doing

I'd say it's 2 things.

One is that many don't think DM can win the playoffs, so autos or bust. As soon as we're in the auto spots and it's looking likely, they'll calm down.

Two. Honestly, how long do you think ghat Chansiri's going to keep throwing money at the club. He's put together 4 promotion sides and he's a division lower. Pretty soon he's got to crack.

Especially if we stay down and SU get promoted to the EPL, the club's going to be worthless.

The only way he's going to get any money back is to do a Mel Morris and administrate the club and sell the ground.

Just now, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Yes that’s true if you take that into account and not the performances then fair enough . The last 3 performances have been pretty awful though . Appreciate 3 games isn’t a lot but it’s certainly concerning . But yes let’s hope it’s been our blip and a clean slate , get baz and Byers back and keep them fit and crack on now . Absolutely no reason we can’t get top 2.

the key to automatic is consistency . We haven’t been that recently but let’s try to get back to it

Like you I believe the return of Byers and Bannan is crucial and will help steady the ship and get us firing again

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

I'd say it's 2 things.

One is that many don't think DM can win the playoffs, so autos or bust. As soon as we're in the auto spots and it's looking likely, they'll calm down.

Two. Honestly, how long do you think ghat Chansiri's going to keep throwing money at the club. He's put together 4 promotion sides and he's a division lower. Pretty soon he's got to crack.

Especially if we stay down and SU get promoted to the EPL, the club's going to be worthless.

The only way he's going to get any money back is to do a Mel Morris and administrate the club and sell the ground.

Agree about automatics

re Chansiri - he is the owner of the club/business and will continue to keep trying. he's told us he's in for the long haul with plans to eventually pass it onto Atti.
can't see him putting us into administration for many reasons

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Agree about automatics

re Chansiri - he is the owner of the club/business and will continue to keep trying. he's told us he's in for the long haul with plans to eventually pass it onto Atti.
can't see him putting us into administration for many reasons

But for how long.

We've seen from the Accrington chairman that this league is pretty much entirely owner funded.

Does he really want to give a third division club costing 10+ million a year to Att?

He could Hillsborough and buy a Champ club or a smaller league one club and be in a much better position.

He's said he's in it, and so far he has, but if we fail this season, do you seriously think he'll throw another 10 million next year? Or will he offload or cut the wage bill and try to balance the books?

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

But for how long.

We've seen from the Accrington chairman that this league is pretty much entirely owner funded.

Does he really want to give a third division club costing 10+ million a year to Att?

He could Hillsborough and buy a Champ club or a smaller league one club and be in a much better position.

He's said he's in it, and so far he has, but if we fail this season, do you seriously think he'll throw another 10 million next year? Or will he offload or cut the wage bill and try to balance the books?

Gut feeling is he will keep trying until he succeeds

There's every reason to believe he will do too in all honesty. He has the resources to fund a promotion for sure, and then spending power to keep us up in the Championship

Honestly I think personally that talk of him going is way way way premature

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
4 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

We've scored a million goals - but the football is cr4p.

We've got a million points - but the football is cr4p.

We've got some clean sheets - but the football is cr4p.

A bit like when you go out for a meal, you fancy a nice hearty plate of comfort food, a nice stew, a meaty pie - but instead you are served a bowl of steam, with some pink himalayan salt on it served inside a sock. It's been prepared by a 3 times Michelin rated chef, the experts tell you it's brilliant, people with funny beards are queuing outside to get in - it should be great, but you know yourself its just over complicated cr4p.

It's the run up to Christmas, you fancy watching a 'take you brains out film' so you want to watch Die Hard or Trading Places - but instead something with Woody Allen or Ralph Fiennes comes on, some guy who loves 'arty' films, especially if they are in black and white and a bit like a Coen Brothers movie tells you it is great, it will be up for an Oscar - but you watch it, your mind starts drifting, your bellies still rumbling from earlier and your wishing you were watching Bruce Willis punching an helicopter instead.

That's what watching football under Moore is like. You can see it with your own eyes, you can hear it with your own ears - the stats are just stats, they don't really mean anything if they are not giving you any pleasure, any enjoyment any promotions. I have no problem with Moore at all, I think he is a smashing fella, a genuine nice guy - but I personally feel he is out of his depth, he has lost his way and we are going backwards, our football is slow, boring, defensive and predictable.

Much like before, when we have been in a reasonable position, but appear unable to make that final push - a change is required, like when Jones came in and got us over the line - does anybody genuinely believe we would win the play-offs with Moore in charge, I certainly don't - nothing in his CV, in the 'big games' gives me that impression.

We are just stumbling along, hoping Bannan will win us a game, collecting players that we are never going to play, and if we do play them, playing them in the wrong positions - how many Mighten's, Wilkes, Corblimey trousers et all do we need to sign before we wake up and realise that tactically Moore his limited at best, maybe he is a good coach, I'm not seeing many signs of motivational skills, we come out at half time half asleep, we don't show up in big games, we freeze when it matters.

I don't blame the fans like some on here do (over 22k, the week before Christmas on a slippy, freezing day, after 22 years of dross is amazing) - some of them booed how dare they, have they got eyes and ears of their own or something?

Statman, Scatman, Batman - don't mean diddly, the wool is well away from our eyes......

Can you write my eulogy please

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Gut feeling is he will keep trying until he succeeds

There's every reason to believe he will do too in all honesty. He has the resources to fund a promotion for sure, and then spending power to keep us up in the Championship

Honestly I think personally that talk of him going is way way way premature

Everyone has a limit.

• Like 1

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Those two points that people grasp onto a clutch as the bastion of successful truth - they're just ridiculous, petty and pointless 

And irrelevant

They are fundamental if you ask me. 

There isn’t any evidence to prove that he can get us over the line.

He hasn’t had any success as a manager and his only achievements are getting relegated with two clubs.

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Everyone would yes

We're going good

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

4 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

So you only want facts that support your argument? The truth is very obvious to see. He's a decent manager who has turned the club around but when it comes to big games he's not been very successful. 

There's some strong evidence that basically a team will perform in line with it's wage bill. It's borne out by lots of research. Part of it is obvious really, it's clear that teams like Man City will do better than Bournemouth. Transfer fees don't really have an effect, it's just the wage bill. A good manager is someone who consistently gets a team to do better than that, something Wilkinson did at Hillsborough for instance. Moore hasn't done that, I'm on his side and back him but I don't get anyone right now who doesn't think there are question marks. 

Just because you call your stats "evidence" doesn't mean you can ignore all the other stats "evidence"

• Love 1

Just now, Hughdowd said:

This “magical “1O match unbeaten run is only lately down to a 94th equaliser at Exeter and a 96th penalty save yesterday….. Can’t honestly remember the last solid attacking performance 

It doesn't matter how you get a 10 match unbeaten run though

In the same way it doesn't really matter how you get promoted

Owlstalk Shop